The Small Questions Thread

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
In my book paying over a hundred dollars for a filter seems really dumb but that's just me. I'll figure it out I guess.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Im running a T4 setup with a 4" piping to the stock airbox using a stock airfilter. After market air filters make aftermarket air filter companies money... other than that.. they don't do much.. lol.
(and just to quantify incase someone wants to argue (which I don't) this is my opinion)

Hope you still have the fan shroud. If so.. air from fan shouldn't be an issue. Could be dirty AFM or some other issue, although rumbly idle is a pretty broad description.. lol.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Considering its a lifetime quality filter with no maintenance and a nice adapter 100$ seems nothing.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Why would I buy that when I already have a k&n filter? :p And do have a fan shroud but it still sticks out you know. It's just idle isn't perfectly smoth a bit up and down +- 200rpm. Sometimes it sounds like it's missing.

But I finally drove it today, pretty fast. Hit fuel cut at like 3.5k rpm a couple times some reason. Right now it's just stock with a open dpp, no idea if anything has been done to the turbo. But my dad drove it right after and went full throttle to 6k and said he had no troubles. Maybe just breaking in issues hope xD

Only other issue that i know if is throttle. It can't seem to cruise well, it's accelerate or nothing. If I hold a steady speed it will like drop throttle and then go, and then drop throttle and then go. But I only have codes 51 (Don't care about it not automatic) and code 34? (Abnormal boost pressure).

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Emeraldage;2001411 said:
Only other issue that i know if is throttle. It can't seem to cruise well, it's accelerate or nothing. If I hold a steady speed it will like drop throttle and then go, and then drop throttle and then go. But I only have codes 51 (Don't care about it not automatic) and code 34? (Abnormal boost pressure).

My '88 turbo is doing the exact same thing, has been for over a year now. But it's only at certain speeds/RPM levels... ~40 mph or ~1700 rpm. Throwing code 12, so I'm trying to decide if I've CPS or CPS wiring issues.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
jdmfreak;2001436 said:
Iirc oiled filters are not good for our afm

Eh well I don't have a factory air cleaner. So unless I get one real cheap it's whatever :/ I figured out spectre part no 81403 will fit the afm.

Anyone have any idea how to make the throttle not drop on and off when you're holding a cruise? I'm going to just mess with the tps alignment and throttle cable to see if I can fix it.. And I'm just going to make a boost leak tester from plumping covers and plugs and a air valve with my compressor to test for leaks friday :D too excited.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It shouldn't be that bad. The 35 spool down in like 3200-3500 range. 40 should be around 4k or sooner.

Midwest_Mudder

Shouldn't there be a way to take the displacement value and estimate the rpms needed to build boost? My buddy that build diesel race trucks knows before he orders where the turbo is gonna light off, and he's never more than 100rpm off.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
Where can i find connectors for the wiring harness? I know DM has the body plugs but I'd like to replace all the sensor plugs and possibly ignition.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
atmperformance;2001753 said:
Where can i find connectors for the wiring harness? I know DM has the body plugs but I'd like to replace all the sensor plugs and possibly ignition.

Dr tweak is a great source. I had to get many of my plugs through random online vendors. Dr tweak, eastern beaver, digikey, Newark, and go figure the toyota dealer.

Sent from my Moto X.

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
thanks. 4K is a bit too late. will try to find HX35. in worst case will take that 40 and hope to find some blown 35th so can take the hot side.

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
So I'm in the works of making my fans operate on a thermal switch. Any input at what tempature I should have the switch at? IIRC oem thermostat is 195 so maybe a 185 on 175 off thermal switch. I hate toggle switches and switched relays off the ignition I rather it work like an oem style e-fan. Thanks in advance guys!

ma67 lover

Dec 17, 2008
montana
Backlash2032;2001929 said:
I'd go 210 on 200 off. If not 10 higher

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Yeah after I posted I was like huh why would the fans kick on before the car is at operating temp haha. I found one that is 200 on 185 off. Might do that unless I decide to get a adjustable one.