The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
jdub;973125 said:
I looked at Colt's...damn expensive for the name, plus what it would take (gunsmith wise) to achieve the Kimber or Sig specs. This is going to be a pure carry gun...I want accuracy, reliability, and low profile in a 1911 frame. Not that Colt can't achieve those, it's a more "bang for the buck" issue.

They may be expensive, but i think of em as an investment...even if you shoot tons a round threw them, still keep their value if you want to sell later on. I'm not sure Springfield, Kimber or Sig could do that...

...Either way, I've held a few of the colt variants and I like the larger frame, but question the ability to conceal without any printing. But then again, I've seen guy conceal them well.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I hear what you're saying Clueless, but the Colt is not going to do what I want for what I want to pay ;)
Plus, I'm not looking at the large frame 1911 for the precise reason of ease of concealment. The biggest reason I'm looking at 1911 based weapons is it's unquestioned reliability and the single column mag makes for a thinner profile...I can stick it in my belt without feeling like I have something probing my spine.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
I have a Kimber Custom Target II. GREAT gun. That being said, there are pros and cons. It was down to that or a Springfield TRP. If you get a Springfield, I'd stick with one that was made in the US (IE: some of the Loadeds and all the TRP's). They are expensive, but either the Kimber or the TRP would be a good bet.

Kimber Pros: no internal gun locks, good build quality, readily available, made in US.
Kimber Cons: plastic mainspring housing, internal gun safety a la Colt 80 series, bad reputation as of late

TRP pros: made in us, great build quality, great reputation
TRP cons: higher price, sometimes harder to find and has an internal gun lock in the mainspring housing (easily fixed with a new mainspring housing)

hope that helps. as usual, ymmv

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
cons must not be too much, I did buy one ;)

the bad rep is mostly because they had some quality control issues when they changed manufacturing facilities. I have some small finish issues on my weapon (which could be easily attributed to being in the case at the gun shop for a while), but the fit and function are perfect.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I just looked at a Springfield Armory xd40 and theyre just a tad out of my college student price range(around($800). I really like the sub compact guns and id like to get one but who knows of any good ones that wont cost me an arm and a leg..
Maybe i'll just stick to something a little more mainstream for my first gun.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
RedEj8;975360 said:
I just looked at a Springfield Armory xd40 and theyre just a tad out of my college student price range(around($800). I really like the sub compact guns and id like to get one but who knows of any good ones that wont cost me an arm and a leg..

I just picked up my XD9 Subcompact today. Used, $380 before the government took their cut.

imgp0706ue3.jpg

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
RedEj8;975360 said:

Not sure where you're lookin? I can get xds all day long in the $500 range....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21_24

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Clueless;977679 said:
anybody interested in picking up a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag or a Mossberg 500A with a Houge Stock and foregrip?

interested in the mossberg. pictures + price please. what length barrel and what type of finish?

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Here's some old pictures I took a while back....

7mm Rem Mag w/ Simmons 6.5-20x scope
p978710_1.jpg

Mossberg 500a with aftermarket grips
p978710_2.jpg

p978710_3.jpg

I'll have to check barrel length on shotgun, but IIRC, it's 20"...I have original wood stock and foregrip but the stock cracked, so not safe to use. I think I can get you another wood stock in decently so-so condition for 20 bucks if you want.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
I was thinking $400 for the 7mm Rem Mag and $125 for the mossberg...oh yea, I also got a bucket of empty 7mm Rem Mag cases if you want to reload as well. I don't really want to sell these guns, but I really need to finish my car so I can drive it. Besides, I still have my Swiss K31 and my 45 acp ruger to keep me busy.

*edit*

If you want to ship, that's extra just so you know...

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Clueless;978849 said:
FFL fees here are $20 I do believe

Yeah, I have a guy that does cheap transfers for me. FFL as a second busniess, that sort of thing. He doesn't have a store-front, so I do everything one-on-one with him at his house. No good-ole-boys or know-it-alls trying to preach to me or second guess my choices. Doesn't mean I LIKE having to go through an FFL for out-of-state transfers, just means I have a good guy to use.

He usually charges me $20 for title I transfers and $40 for title II transfers. Regular shops are either $50 bucks or 10% of the value of the weapon around here.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
yea...I wish I could sell these guns local so I won't have to mess with the whole FFL deal, but I'll hassle with FFL transfers right now if need be so I can get some supra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.