The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
sweaver;1641304 said:
any maintenence recamendations other that clean and lube? yes it is springfield arms xd .40 cal. however the T/C encore is my baby

Use quality lubricants! Many people use oil but I find that oil doesn't stay put and dries out.... I use grease on high wear components such as the slide rails and the locking lugs on my ar15 etc. Don't listen to the people who say over cleaning is bad "improper cleaning" is bad...get quality bore brushes made of plastic or bronze.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
CLP type lubes definitely do dry out after a while, I actually use Redline since I've got it laying around and it works very well.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Cz.;1642539 said:
CLP type lubes definitely do dry out after a while, I actually use Redline since I've got it laying around and it works very well.

Clp is supposed to dry out but leaves a slick residue....it's ok for guns that are subject to sand etc as dirt doesn't stick to it but it's poor lube for guns that need to be taken care of and don't have a constant supply of new parts such as the military weapons.

I recommend mil-comm gun grease if you feel like adding to your lubricants.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I'm still looking to add a shotgun to my collection and to be my primary home defense weapon and could use some opinions.

I really like the Remington desert recon. I had some people tell me it's not that great though and that it's not based on the 870, that it is something else thrown together using the 870 name. Also that remington is just using the flashy tactical camo finish to sell it and it's a bad bargain. It sure looks like the 870 to me though, any input on this particular shotgun? Is it a good buy not at the msrp but at around $550 brand new? Is the finish actually durable and not going to scratch the first time I shoot it. I do plan to shoot it A lot but not drag it through the desert or anything. I know the 870 platform is supposed to be top notch as far as function goes.

I was also looking at this Remington 870 express. Seems to be basically the same thing just not as flash and about $100 cheaper?

If the cost is the only real difference and those 2 are equal in all other way I'd pay for the cool camo finish ha. I know people have their favorite and will recommend any number of new and used shotguns. At the moment I am really only liking to compare these two or find out if they are a good bargain for the cost.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I just got my Stoeger Couger 9000 back along with 100 rounds of hallow points (soon I'll get a box of the good stuff for PP). I'll be picking up 1 or 2 holsters for it tomorrow (1 for carrying while driving, the other for concealed carrying while walking around).

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Got a new Kahr K40 coming next week. Will be fully custom two tone / polished stainless & black.

Had a K9 back in the day and loved it. One of those "wish I never sold it" kind of deals.

Hate to think about this, but Im getting the K40 to retire my daily carry piece - German Walther P99 in 40, black and tan.

Not only does Walther (S&W) no longer make the black and tan, but if you do find one its typically one of the American made S&W piece of shits.

No more accidentally bumping into things and putting nicks into the polymer frame.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
Well I will be buying my first gun next month. I was looking at the Mossberg Maverick 12-gage link below.
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa.../shotguns&start=8&selectedSKU=0350-01883-5002
But talking with Mike on FB he got me leaning to the Maverick Model 88 which from what I read has parts that interchange with alot of other models which is a plus. The shotgun is going to be more for home protection and a couple afternoons of drinking beer and shotin guns....lol (not really though)
I will be checking the local pawn shops also and might even pick up a 9mm if I can find one for a good price. I like the Ruger SR9 but i don;t want to drop 450 on a pistol. What should I look for when I go to the pawn shop? What is a good gun other than the obvious big name brands?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Barrel is a bit long for home defense IMHO, looks at the 88 security. From what I've seen, the model 88 is a cheaper version of the mossberg 500 made in Mexico (but assembled in Texas so it says made in Texas). Many of the 500 parts fit from what I've seen as well meaning abundant spare parts and cheap customization.

ABNPayne

Jul 18, 2010
Macon, GA
Mr.PFloyd;356905 said:
guns are pointless.

Unless it has a bayonet attached.

Yes I know I quoted a 4YO+ post, wanna fight about it? :p

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

89nasupra;1659478 said:
Well I will be buying my first gun next month. I was looking at the Mossberg Maverick 12-gage link below.
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa.../shotguns&start=8&selectedSKU=0350-01883-5002
But talking with Mike on FB he got me leaning to the Maverick Model 88 which from what I read has parts that interchange with alot of other models which is a plus. The shotgun is going to be more for home protection and a couple afternoons of drinking beer and shotin guns....lol (not really though)
I will be checking the local pawn shops also and might even pick up a 9mm if I can find one for a good price. I like the Ruger SR9 but i don;t want to drop 450 on a pistol. What should I look for when I go to the pawn shop? What is a good gun other than the obvious big name brands?

I agree with Poodles and Mike. Unless you plan on shooting it all day long many times a month. A 88 will be a good fit.

As far as barrel length goes, I prefer a 20'' over 18.'' Since it is your home and you know the layout, 2'' difference wont make you get caught on furniture or door frames. The 20'' could also be used on game and skeet, if you're a deadeye ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
He linked to the 28" barrel version and 6 shots when you can get a security model with a 20" barrel and 8 shots.

The only complaints I've seen about the 88 is the position of the safety, dunno enought o comment on it though (and hell, the AK-47 has a shitty safety as well but it's a good reliable weapon).

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Poodles;1659511 said:
He linked to the 28" barrel version and 6 shots when you can get a security model with a 20" barrel and 8 shots.

Yea, mine is a Model 88 Security.

Poodles;1659511 said:
The only complaints I've seen about the 88 is the position of the safety, dunno enought o comment on it though (and hell, the AK-47 has a shitty safety as well but it's a good reliable weapon).

It's a crossbolt safety in the trigger guard:

IMG_1269.JPG

It's crap but I don't keep a round in the chamber on my shotgun.

The Maverick is cheap, it's tough, it accepts almost all the accessories for the Mossberg 500. I simply didn't want to dump a lot of money into a home defense shotgun. I've got enough money sunk into pistols, long distance tack drivers and assault weapons. I mounted a tactical flashlight with a remote pressure switch on mine, which makes this rig extremely well suited to the job it's designated for without spending a lot of cash.

ABNPayne

Jul 18, 2010
Macon, GA
My first firearm purchase was a "Persuader" model 500 (20'' 8 shot) a couple thousand rounds, never a hiccup. I bought it at Wal-Mart for $10 below their cost @$195 back in 1999. Behind me in line was the CPT of the City of Perry Police Department who bought the remaining 8! Pressured by antis about the barrel link, it was dubbed non-gaming and WM wanted their stock cleared.

I highly recommend it too, even used. I now have a FN Police. Fine shotty but I do miss the thumb safety.

Nowadays "security" has come to mean 18'' for most models, but I guess my 20''vs.18'' comment is moot then. :icon_redf

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Poods, I was thinking about getting the Mossberg Maverick w/ 28" barrel but changing it to the shorter one after I got it. For the price it seamed like a good gun and I heard good things about Mossberg.

I am not going to keep it load in the house but the shells will not be far from the gun but out of reach for my kids. If some one thinks it's a good idea to break in I want to give them a chance to change their minds once they hear the loading of a shotgun from the back room. Then if they think it's still a good idea to stick around well then i guess they will meet the buisness end of it.

No one has answered my question on pawn shop guns. I guess once I go look I will post up what I found and get some advise about it before I make a final decision.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
89nasupra;1659752 said:
No one has answered my question on pawn shop guns. I guess once I go look I will post up what I found and get some advise about it before I make a final decision.

Took me a minute to find it.

89nasupra;1659478 said:
What should I look for when I go to the pawn shop?

First, be sure you know what guns are worth (street value, not MSRP) before you go.

MSRP on the Maverick 88 is about $230
I've seen them sold as high as $260 in some "boutique" gun stores, which is damned near criminal.
Real world street price runs about $195-200
Buying used in a pawn shop you're going to want to pay $175 or less. If they want more, just go buy a new one.

Remember that just about everything in a pawn shop is used. Since it's in a pawn shop, it's likely be owned by someone who is either poor, or having a hard time financially. This is not the best combination to create a good environment for care and maintenance, so check everything over to be sure it's serviceable. Check the barrels & action. Dirty is fine, you can clean it. Rust and pitting is not. On wooden stocks, check carefully for cracks. Cracks in wooden stocks turn guns into huge impaling spikes. Overall you're looking for a weapon that looks like its been cared for, not neglected. You could find a gun that looks like complete shit on the outside yet functions perfectly, but it's unlikely. Generally, if they didn't take care of the parts you can see, the parts you can't see are even worse.

Taking 2 or 3 snap caps with you is a good idea so you can test the action by dry firing.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=107676

If you do take them get permission from the store owner to use them. Be sure you show them to the owner so he understands you're not loading live ammo. You just want to cycle the pump and check the trigger pull without damaging the firing pin.

It's really just like buying anything else used. Understand what things are worth, inspect the one you're buying and expect reduction in price for anything that isn't perfect.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
89nasupra;1659752 said:
Poods, I was thinking about getting the Mossberg Maverick w/ 28" barrel but changing it to the shorter one after I got it. For the price it seamed like a good gun and I heard good things about Mossberg.

I am not going to keep it load in the house but the shells will not be far from the gun but out of reach for my kids. If some one thinks it's a good idea to break in I want to give them a chance to change their minds once they hear the loading of a shotgun from the back room. Then if they think it's still a good idea to stick around well then i guess they will meet the buisness end of it.

The barrel is one of the more expensive components, plus you also get a larger magazine with the security. Up to you, though the 88 field from Academy is well under MSRP, so it's kind of a crap shoot as it if the cost will come out favorable. You might end up spending more than the cost of a model 500. Looks like there's not a whole lot of places that carry the Maverick line either.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
I would also like to use it for hunting so that is another reason I was looking at the 28" barrel but I know that will never happen because I can think of better things to do than go sit in a deer stand all day.

Are the tactical guns from Academy any good? I like this one here,
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa.../tactical&start=0&selectedSKU=0390-00329-0002
but it is out of the question for this year but next year I would like to get one.

Mike, I think I will just buy new then. It will just be easier plus I will know it's new

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Bushmaster A2 is a decent gun, that price is way high however. You should be able to get it for about $100 less.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Knoxx SpecOps Adjustable Length of Pull Stock Maverick 88, ...
The SpecOps adjustable stock has an M4-style sliding stock allows the length of pull to be adjustable from 11-1/4 to 15-1/4" to fit most shooters ...
Add to Shopping List

Can't post the link but I like this stock to swap on it once I get it. I seen teh same thing for 154.00 on other sites, is there any reason it is so cheap on midwayUSA or is this the good price and the other guys are just plain nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.