The new funky_monkey58 build thread sleeper style?

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Thanks guys!
A friend of mine noticed something missing with my car and quickly fixed that issue.
p1589860_1.jpg

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
So today the frost plug popped out and the engine over heated and is burning oil like crazy.

Full part out coming soon I am done with the supra game, kinda drunk but definitely done with the 7m. I achieved what I wanted and a $2 part fucked me over.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

p1591587_1.jpg

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
...What the hell causes those to pop out. I've never even HEARD of that happening.

That seriously sucks, the car was running strong too.

And by out of the Supra game, do you mean you're getting rid of your car, or doing a V8 swap like you've been talking about?

Last edited:

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
johnd;1591637 said:
That sucks, don't u have a temp gauge?
You couldn't shut it down before it overheated.

Of course I have a temp gauge, but with zero water in the system it had to heat soak through the aluminum enough to get a temperature reading at all.

Last edited:

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Sean, Like Emilio said, just when she was running strong. Your build was good. I vote for doing it again this winter. The 7M when build correctly is a strong foundation. Somehow the V8 swap seems a bit strange into a Supra, especially when you already had a strong set up and so many custom parts. It is just bad luck. Think it over. By the time the shop is complete, you will have had a chance to kick it around. As many times as you have had the engine out of her, that part is easy. Taking her for some machining, new rings, and rebalance seems like the way to go. Like Rob has been quoted. "A Supra is like a marriage, sometimes just when you thought it was going well, she can leave you stuck by the side of the road, saying WTF!"

Mob

May 17, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
Were the freeze plugs OEM or aftermarket? Likely a moot point after your past few posts, but a couple years ago a friend blew out some non-oem freeze plugs during a pull on the dyno. I believe he and several other members of this forum found that minute differences in the sizing of aftermarket offerings led to an increased likelihood, if not certainty of blowing out during use. Just a thought.

Sorry to add clutter.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
the 7M replacement will look exactly like this.
53_L33.jpg

I do not want to have this problem of breaking it again, so my new goals are 600rwhp and a built auto.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
emiliorescigno;1591643 said:
...What the hell causes those to pop out. I've never even HEARD of that happening.

That seriously sucks, the car was running strong too.

And by out of the Supra game, do you mean you're getting rid of your car, or doing a V8 swap like you've been talking about?
Happens more often that you'd expect :(

A lot of times how they're fitted makes the difference, an old old school guy taught me to get them in with the minimal amount of hits possible as a lot of small taps removes the crush fit.

funky_monkey58;1591723 said:
the 7M replacement will look exactly like this.
53_L33.jpg

I do not want to have this problem of breaking it again, so my new goals are 600rwhp and a built auto.

I have one of those they're great fun, you won't regret the swap :D

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Mob;1591652 said:
Were the freeze plugs OEM or aftermarket? Likely a moot point after your past few posts, but a couple years ago a friend blew out some non-oem freeze plugs during a pull on the dyno. I believe he and several other members of this forum found that minute differences in the sizing of aftermarket offerings led to an increased likelihood, if not certainty of blowing out during use. Just a thought.

Sorry to add clutter.

The plugs in question that were too small were made by Dorman.

The only aftermarket freeze plug that was properly sized was qualcast.

But what was on this motor, toyota?

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

IJ.;1591799 said:

A lot of times how they're fitted makes the difference, an old old school guy taught me to get them in with the minimal amount of hits possible as a lot of small taps removes the crush fit.

An old old school guy taught me this as well. ;)

Talk about a complete pain in the ass. We realized we couldn't get them in with 2 big hits, so we settled at 5 medium hits and hoped the Permatex 1 will do it's job. ;)

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
funky_monkey58;1591587 said:
................ and a $2 part fucked me over.

That can fail on ANY engine not just a 20 year old 7m. ;)

Just by throwing a engine at something will not fix everything. If you do it, go the smart way and buy a NEW gm crate engine

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
...and now is my chance to be able to beat Sean's Supra in a race! Seriously- his car was stupid fast on 20psi- I'd have loved to feel it at 30 with better traction!

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
upgradedsupra;1591791 said:
Bad deal, but it isn't to do with the 7M. Just rebuild it now that you know what you need to do. ;)

Duane
The 7M ran great and was a blast, but in my mind I achieved what I wanted to with it and wanted to go V8 after the first 7m blew up last summer. I rode it out and held nothing back.

IJ.;1591799 said:

I have one of those they're great fun, you won't regret the swap :D
I have been wanting to do this swap for awhile now, although the frost plug popping out just pushed the build date sooner than later is all.
Zumtizzle;1591803 said:

The plugs in question that were too small were made by Dorman.

The only aftermarket freeze plug that was properly sized was qualcast.

But what was on this motor, toyota?

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

An old old school guy taught me this as well. ;)

Talk about a complete pain in the ass. We realized we couldn't get them in with 2 big hits, so we settled at 5 medium hits and hoped the Permatex 1 will do it's job. ;)
No clue what brand, I pulled all the originals out before I brought my block in to the machine shop and payed for new ones to be installed. :(
92nsx;1591813 said:
That can fail on ANY engine not just a 20 year old 7m. ;)

Just by throwing a engine at something will not fix everything. If you do it, go the smart way and buy a NEW gm crate engine
I don't have that kind of money floating around, an L33 will do me just fine for now until I build an LSX 427.
toyotanos;1591844 said:
...and now is my chance to be able to beat Sean's Supra in a race! Seriously- his car was stupid fast on 20psi- I'd have loved to feel it at 30 with better traction!
Hey don't get your hopes up too much...... It really did pull hard though I really enjoyed the shit out of this setup.