The new addition to the family. Yep, she's black!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yesterday I picked up my first 4Runner. It's an 87 SR5 equipped with the Clinometer Package. So far, everything works.

She needs a little TLC; but, should be a great daily thumper.

Basic Specs:
4x4
5 Speed
22RE
Black w/Gray Interior
Smitty Built Bumpers and Nurf Bars
Sunroof

It has 170k on it and I picked it up for $2500. Her black paint compliments the Supra nicely! ;)

p1732396_1.jpg

p1732396_2.jpg

p1732396_3.jpg

p1732396_4.jpg

p1732396_5.jpg

p1732396_6.jpg

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yep...no more carbs. I also had an 84 pickup that had the 22R and it was one cold blooded beast when it came to starting.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Hooray for reliable engines! ...wait a minute :p

The only major thing I suggest checking on 22r's would be the timing chain guides. They have a tendancy to wear out and break, allowing slop in the chain, which can wear through the front cover and/or break the chain. Happened to my parents' 93 Hilux, it was my first car repair- the one that got me hooked on these infernal contraptions in the first place!

Looks very clean though- nice find!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nice looking truck man, but Theresa's gonna be moving this thread soon. :p

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I guess it would've been better placed in the 'Other Cars' section. I didn't think about putting it there. Sorry mods...

But, yes...considering its age and that these things are typically all hacked up, it's pretty nice! :)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I have been looking for a 4Runner for out winters here in NY and I can't find one with a 22R in it. Dumb V6.

I also second Steve on the timing chain guides.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
IBoughtASupra;1733026 said:
I have been looking for a 4Runner for out winters here in NY and I can't find one with a 22R in it. Dumb V6.

I also second Steve on the timing chain guides.

I have been searching hard for seven months to find a 1st gen with the 22RE. That stupid V6 is EVERYWHERE!

You and Steve are correct on the timing chain kit. I went through that with my 84 Pickup. That's pretty much the only weak link on that motor.

Pokey2301;1733303 said:
clean and i had an 86 4x4 carb and it hated to start except when it was cold outside

If one is going to stick with carbs, the Webers are the way to go!

Pokey2301

Mar 2, 2010
Spangdahlem, Germany
CajunKenny;1733631 said:
I have been searching hard for seven months to find a 1st gen with the 22RE. That stupid V6 is EVERYWHERE!

You and Steve are correct on the timing chain kit. I went through that with my 84 Pickup. That's pretty much the only weak link on that motor.

If one is going to stick with carbs, the Webers are the way to go!

very weak link for the timing chain, has to be replaced about every 40k miles, had to have them replaced on my 86, and my dad had to replace his on his 89, and that's the only major maintenance ever done to his truck

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Yeah, the solid front axle is definitely superior.

Soon to be on order:
Re-Ring Kit including bearings
Timing Chain Kit w/Metal Guides
Water Pump
Oil Pump

This will be my fall project... :)

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
Nice clean find, similar in looks to one I restored a about 6 years ago. If you find it a bit noisy, I found stuffing insulation along the sides(what would be thebed in a truck), cut done on teh road noise significantly.

Enginebuilder.com is where a lot of us in the 4x4 hobby buy our engine components.

The metal guides wont stop the t-chain from breaking, they only prevent the chain from eating a whole in the timing cover when it stretches from age.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

IBoughtASupra;1733026 said:

Don't let the 3.0 keep you from buying one, if the engine has been maintained properly it isn't as unreliable as the rumors make it them out to be. I have owned one for 21yrs now, and have only had to deak with a burnt exhaust valve, no HG issues, or anything else.

Also due to the rumors of being crappy engines, and the shop rebuild costs involved you can usually find ones in need of repair dirt for around $1k. Just don't buy one with an auto trans, they are gutless and get about 6-7 miles less per gallon than the 5-spd.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Nice find.

I just wanted to point out that the problematic chain guide can be replaced with only removing the valve cover. just dont drop the bolt :)