The Mistress

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
So, I've been fighting with the fuel pump setup for quite some time, and after trying a bunch of options, and failing to fit options in the available space (no, you can NOT put dual Denso Mk4 pumps in through the stock hole) I've just ordered up the parts to replace the entire system with dual Aeromotive Stealth 340 pumps in tank.

Should be significantly quieter, and give me a lot more headroom. I'm a big fan of too damn big, keeps me from running into trouble. I might need a bigger alternator though, these things can pull quite a bit of current at full bore.

PS: Stay tuned for some lightly used and new pumps for sale!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The new loot:

20130605_212924.jpg

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
That's the mighty Clutchmaster FX850. Did you get it with the steel or Aluminum flywheel? Nice addition! Please let us know how it drives, feels etc.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
So, after the usual Saturday night BBQ, some of the crew stuck around and helped start pulling the tranny. Including one of the girlfriends! I should have taken a picture of her hands... she was solid black grime to the elbows, with fancy nails sticking out at the ends! :)

Everything is disconnected but the top two bolts. Fuckers.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
turbogate;1946210 said:
That's the mighty Clutchmaster FX850. Did you get it with the steel or Aluminum flywheel? Nice addition! Please let us know how it drives, feels etc.
Steel flywheel.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted on how it drives. Rumor has it the thing acts like a switch, either on or off, but I figure you get used to what you have.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
GrimJack;1946215 said:
Steel flywheel.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted on how it drives. Rumor has it the thing acts like a switch, either on or off, but I figure you get used to what you have.

Eh, people say that about my clutch...and I can hold my car on a hill with clutch/gas.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I was considering this Clutchmasters unit, the RPS carbon / carbon, and the Tilton triple plate. It really came down to delivery time... Tilton was a possible 6 month waiting list, RPS was 4-6 weeks minimum, and the guy at Clutchmasters got this shipped, to my door, INTERNATIONAL, in 2 days flat.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
So, progress so far:
- Transmission pulled
- Clutch disassembled
- Flywheel pulled (OMG, this is SO MUCH EASIER with air tools!!!)
- ARP flywheel bolts cleaned, threads in crank chased
- Measurements made for release bearing spacer

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
GrimJack;1946361 said:
So, progress so far:
- Transmission pulled
- Clutch disassembled

I was just about to say that a small write-up/documentation of the installation process for this clutch will be greatly appreciated in the future, especially if you run into some unexpected challenges. :)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Actually, it looks pretty straightforward, with the exception that the installation docs don't list throw bearing to pressure plate freeplay clearance. That's on my list of things to ask the guys at Clutchmasters when I talk to them this week.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
GrimJack;1946361 said:
So, progress so far:
- Transmission pulled
- Clutch disassembled

how ya chase the threads???? did you just use a stock bolt and use zip disc to score a line or 2 down the threads ?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
New clutch is in, transmission is back on, with only two bolts, and they are NOT the hard ones, of course, but they aren't the easiest ones, either.

Left to do...
- bellhousing bolts
- starter
- mount and bleed the new push conversion clutch slave
- driveshaft
- engine mounts
- fuel filler neck mount
- fuel tank heat shield
- exhaust
- mount new -8 fuel line properly

New loot showed up today...
20130704_174144.jpg

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
New push type clutch slave mounted, driveshaft installed, engine mounts done, fuel filler neck reconnected at the top, hatch reassembled, fuel line mounted...

Still to go: Bleed clutch, fuel tank heat shield, exhaust, battery, add fuel, fire it up, check for leaks...