The Mistress

jackmk2mk3

being supra-less sucks
Jan 14, 2010
Fullerton, CA
I wasn't intentionally trying to be harsh. Just pointing out that nitrous probably would not help in this case. Better to get better at running down the strip with what you've got, then start adding power. I'm not trying to criticize his abilities, because at this point in time he has certainly done more than me.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
NashMan;1609021 said:
hows your 7m doing hehehe my 2j is doing good
Still running flawlessly... you?

tekdeus;1609059 said:
I'd like to see a little race between these 2 on Sunday :D
Looks like this will have to go on hold for a while...

Dropped the car off at an alignment place today, with instructions to make it stick to the road and damn the tire wear. Unfortunately it's been wet out since, so I've no idea how much of a difference it has made to the car.

Also, looks like the lifespan on the Kumho v.70 tires is maybe 6k km. I'm up to 3k, and they are over half done already. They sure do grip though!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Finally gotten some seat time with the new alignment. What a difference! The car doesn't like going sideways anymore, just wants to go straight - and preferably very fast.

Had an incident with my electric fans yesterday, noticed the temp was starting to climb when I got home from a quick run to pick up a part. Popped the hood, and the fans weren't on. Figured it was the fuse, so I tried to pull it out, and it wouldn't come. Checked the fuse using the contacts on the top, and it was definitely dead, so eventually I just cut the entire holder out and replaced it. After I got it out, I noticed the case was deformed, and pulling HARD on the blown fuse just ripped the plastic off the top, giving me this:

P1000655.JPG

I guess that's what happens when fuses turn to a life of crime.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
^^^ This has happened to me 2 times, even with 30 amp fuses. I just recently had to install a monstrous sized jumbo fuse and 8 or 10-gauge wiring (available at Lordco). I suggest buying the same thing. I had to order in giant bare crimps and custom solder them on, covered in heat shrink tubing. The current these fans draw is beyond ridiculous.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
hey dave just swap to this fuse the water proof 10 or 12 guage ones there the best and only ones i use you can get them at lord co

http://www.picoofcanada.com/en/products/fuses_regular_holders.php

then shorten up your wireing some and make sure the ground/postive are good then just run the proper size fuse for the motor or wireing

this is why this happens

when a fuse gets hot it easyer to blow with simple surge of power

what fans are you runing flex alight duals i run them wiht a 30 amp fuse and 20/40amp relay from hella

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm not worried about a fuse blowing... that's their job. This one, however, didn't just blow the fuse - it welded the posts to the spade clips in the fuse holder, melted the fuse and it's holder, and then, finally, popped the fuse itself.

I'm using the fans from Adrenaline Motorsports - they come spec'd for 20a each, and they were running on a single 20a, but I still fail to understand how that could cause anything other than a popped fuse.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Might want to measure the inrush current when the fans start up Dave, you'll be surprised I know I was ;)

The 4 e-fans I used for the Chev were close to maxing out my 140a Alt if they all started at the same time on top of the normal running loads, once running they settle down to their normal current draw.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IJ.;1619436 said:
Didn't Ryan say it was only rings??

Surely that's only 1 week max to repair ;)

Wait, he popped his motor ALREADY and is riding the admin about adding his car to the horsepower thread? Wow, that's rich! I'm going to havemy car removed from GTEPowered.com until/if I make over 500whp again.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Dave, but I couldn't resist.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
yae they just don't seat as good as they use to, 2 cyc just went low still goes like rape date but meh this was only mule motor

i have new stuff to go in and this time going to push the car what happend was the fuel reg vac line split in half and whent to 16 psi with no fuel ajsutment

but right now i am busy wiht alot of other projects

2 supra projects at arnt mine
my truck
and 4x4 buggy 4 link rear and 3 link front

so i am pretty busy

but should have the my motor done in spring if i cna sneek it in

and rakkasan i never did ride any one

and ian is right thats why i run a 30/40 amp relay my surg is about 42 ish then once running goes to 30 if remmeber right it used to be higher when i had longer leads

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm considering getting a pair of these - one for each fan, fusing them independently at 20a, and running 10awg, or maybe even 8awg wiring. The wiring in there now is only at most a meter long - it runs from the alternator, which is on the lower passenger side on the 2J, to the wheel well right beside it where the relay is mounted, to the fans on the radiator, and grounds on the radiator support directly underneath the fans.

getimage.php

getimage.php

I need to find some nice, heat resistant and flexible wire that comes in various colors, too. I'm less than impressed with the stuff I can pick up at the local electronics supply place here. They have various thicknesses and colors, but nothing that's very flexible.

PS: I'm a big proponent of overkill, especially if it can save me headache time.

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Wow, the Blue is incredible. Looks great with the wing. Your setup is really well put together and mid-11's are certainly respectable. Must be fun to rip around town with. Really sorry to hear about the fender bender, that must have been heartbreaking, not to mention bewildering. How do you hit something stationary at parking-lot speed?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
rakkasan;1619554 said:
Wait, he popped his motor ALREADY and is riding the admin about adding his car to the horsepower thread? Wow, that's rich! I'm going to havemy car removed from GTEPowered.com until/if I make over 500whp again.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Dave, but I couldn't resist.

lol You make requirements, send it out. ;)

Duane

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
GrimJack;1619653 said:
I'm considering getting a pair of these - one for each fan, fusing them independently at 20a, and running 10awg, or maybe even 8awg wiring. The wiring in there now is only at most a meter long - it runs from the alternator, which is on the lower passenger side on the 2J, to the wheel well right beside it where the relay is mounted, to the fans on the radiator, and grounds on the radiator support directly underneath the fans.

getimage.php

getimage.php

I need to find some nice, heat resistant and flexible wire that comes in various colors, too. I'm less than impressed with the stuff I can pick up at the local electronics supply place here. They have various thicknesses and colors, but nothing that's very flexible.

PS: I'm a big proponent of overkill, especially if it can save me headache time.

only thing i don't like about thous is there tad bulky(big) but that's about it other then that there pretty bad ass

if your going to run 2 relays get the dual relay adulator there pretty nice little unites i used them many times and if high currten is use i just re pin the leads
http://www.picoofcanada.com/en/2010 catalog/page 70-71.pdf

there all so easy to monte to stuff