The George/Raptor Racing “it’s about Freak'n time” Build Thread

Raptor Racing

Supramania Contributor
Nov 5, 2005
Toronto
Well...my first build thread on this forum was a total failure as I sadly ended up selling my MK3. I miss it dearly but with a one car garage and 3 cars it just made no sense, one car had to go and the MK3 needed more work than the MK2. I don't go advertising this on the MK2 boards but if both cars required the same amount of work than the MK2 would have been the one to go. I had the MK3 since 1998 and became pretty emotionally attached to it with some awesome memories. Anyway...Sooo…ya…it’s been a while so I decided…what the hell…lets get this party started. I’ve been holding off on this build for ages for 2 reason:

1. My ultimate build was a Hybrid 7M Block 5M head twin GT28RS +++ and I was hoping to get that done
  2. I was adamant that I was going to do work myself

2009 comes alone (mk2 is off the road for 3 years at this point in time) and reality set in that the twin turbo build is not something that can NOT be done right now. I also made a decision: pay a shop to finish the car or let it sit in storage another 4 years . I barely have the time to fill gas in the car these days so I decided on option #1.

I’d also like to send out a HUGE thanks for Mark from Vancouver Toyota; I can’t tell you how many times I realized I was missing/needing yet ANOTHER part and had to bother him. Response and shipping times were INSANE…I have NO idea what we would do without Mark but I owe him big time.

If I may I’d also like to thank Damian for the inspiration; his build really pushed me to get the car done...so did driving 3 awesome MK2's at the Montreal meet last year: Joseph's 7M; Nicholas's 1J and Rob's Euro 7M.

Late last year I the motor was fully built with:

• 7MGTE Block – w/factory rods
  • Wiesco Pistons – Ceramic Coated Tops and Moly Coated Skirts
  • Port/Polished 5M head w/1mm Oversized Valve and Chevy Spring (flowbench specs coming soon)
  • HKS Cams (unknown specs) w/Titan 2J cam gears
  • ARP Rod Bolts
  • ARP Main Studs
  • HKS 1.2mm MHG
  • Toyota Gasket set +all coolant lines replaced
Attached to this motor will be:
  • Fidanza Flywheel
  • Raptor Racing 4 Puck Feramic Clutch Kit
  • ARP Flywheel Bolts
  • S3 Shifter
  • DIYAUTO PnP Megasquirt
  • Ford EDIS Trigger Wheel
  • Delphi D585 LS2 Coils
  • Greddy 550cc Injectors
  • Denso MKIV Fuel Pump
  • Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • Knocksense for MS Knock Module
  • AEM Boost and Wideband Gauges – Analog w/black face and green backlight
  • Defi Din Gauge- Analog w/black face and green backlight (see the pattern here) – has 2 temp and 1 pressure so will do water temp; oil temp and oil pressure
  • Innovate LC-1
  • Amsoil EAAU-3070 Dry Filter
  • Amsoil Dual Remotve By-Pass filter system – w/earls oil thermostat; earls spin on adapter and Setrab Oil cooler
  • All oil and coolant lines will be built with Russells Pro-Classic hoses ends and hose
  • Ceramic Coated 7M Manifold
  • HKS Sport Turbo with Ceramic Coated Hot side
  • HKS EZ II Boost Controller
  • Spearco Intercooler w/Raptor Racing Aluminum Intercooler Piping Kit with TIAL Q 50mm BOV
  • Rabid Chimp Throttle Body
  • Raptor Racing EGR Block Off Plates
  • Raptor Racing Divorced Downpipe
  • Raptor Racing Cat Back System with powder coater muffler and Raptor Racing Metallic Cat
  • Griffin MK2 Aluminum Rad w/Adrenaline Motorsports Fan kit

I think that’s about it for the parts; the rest of the car is nothing crazy: ST springs (coming out soon); Tokico Illuminas’s (coming out soon) and Whiteline swaybars. I won’t bother putting the Phase 2 build plans as that might Jinx things.

Most of you haven’t seen the car in so long I’m sure you forgot what it looks like:

p1694573_1.jpg

p1694573_2.jpg

DSC_041.jpg

I’ll more than likely be selling the Braids and replace them with the P-Type replica’s…just waiting for more details before I get rid of them.

Here are a few shots of the parts:
Wiesco Pistons:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Overview of parts as I was taking “inventory” of what I had:

p1694573_3.jpg

Defi Din Panel; D585 Coil; Coil harness + EDIS VR Sensor:

p1694573_4.jpg

KnockSense; Denso Pump and LC-1:

p1694573_5.jpg

Setrab Oil Cooler:
p1694573_6.jpg

Raptor Racing Clutch Kit; Fidanza + Ceramic Coated Manifold:

p1694573_7.jpg

Crappy Pix of Amsoil Dual Remote Bypass Unit:

p1694573_8.jpg

Greddy Injectors; Raptor Racing 5M EGR Plates + other goodies:

p1694573_9.jpg

Earl's Oil Thermostat + Aeromotive FPR:

p1694573_10.jpg

Thanks Mike Rapp for the freshly coated brackets:

p1694573_11.jpg

HKS Sport Turbo with ceramic coated hot side

p1694573_12.jpg

p1694573_13.jpg

HKS Intake Manifold - powdercoated wrinkle black - still not done with it as I might do a mirror finish on the top part...not sure yet:

p1694573_14.jpg

Seeing that I have done most of the work and have the parts needed to support it I decided I would see if we can squeeze an Accumulator in there. It's a 2QT Accusump with a 25PSI Electrical Pressure Switch. Still not 100% sure we're going to use the switch; going to shim the oil pump first to see what sort of oil pressure we're getting.

p1694573_15.jpg

APRIL 18th, 2011 UPDATE

Ok;

so some mild progress, the motor/trans are set to go in:

p1694573_16.jpg

p1694573_17.jpg

p1694573_18.jpg

YEEEEEES I know the ICS needs cleaning. The pan still needs to come off to shim the oil pump.

I also just picked up a few more goodies, after hearing a couple stories of broken crank pulley's I decided to contact ATI. The last thing I need is the 30 year old 6M damper to explode and take out everything around it. I also was not totally comfortable with how the edis wheel bolted onto the factory damper. So I shipped ATI my 6M Damper and the EDIS trigger wheel and got this back (6M Damper with A/C and Integrated EDIS trigger wheel with 15* of rotation):

p1694573_19.jpg

p1694573_20.jpg

p1694573_21.jpg

p1694573_20.jpg

Original Damper 10lbs, ATI Damper 7lb.

So while I was looking into the ATI I started thinking that the OEM pulley's look like total @$$...so I had 5M Accessory pulley's made...water pump; alt and power steering:

p1694573_23.jpg

p1694573_24.jpg

p1694573_25.jpg

p1694573_26.jpg

I need to get them out tot get hard anodized.

Got the rotors back from the plating:

p1694573_27.jpg

p1694573_28.jpg

Really crappy cell phone pix, went by the shop to drop off the anodized pulley's and forgot to bring my camera.

Got the hardware for the Braids plated too but too much of a pain to take pictures of those, I'll do so after the rims are refinished.

Ummm....I think that's it for now. Hopefully will have some more updates by the end of next week.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
This looks like a fun car to build up, George! What's the weight of it going to end up being? I would guess much lighter than a mk3. I also love that ATI damper <3

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Ok, wait, so you got them to make a 6M dampener?! Surprised the people over on CS.com aren't hounding you for them :rofl:

Still, killer build, I love the 6M :D

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
This is going to be a sick build. Miss my mk2, had a 6m in mine. Same problem as you had too many cars...exept the mk2 went instead.. haha
In for more pics.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Raptor Racing

Supramania Contributor
Nov 5, 2005
Toronto
toyotanos;1694575 said:
This looks like a fun car to build up, George! What's the weight of it going to end up being? I would guess much lighter than a mk3. I also love that ATI damper <3

In factory trim the 84 MK2 weighs approximately 3000lbs, I've added a few pounds with some of the items above and plan to weigh it at the dump as soon as the car is done.

Poodles;1694576 said:
Ok, wait, so you got them to make a 6M dampener?! Surprised the people over on CS.com aren't hounding you for them :rofl:

Still, killer build, I love the 6M :D

Honestly...even with me getting this done ATI still considers this a "custom application" which means this damper costs more than a lot of MK2's out there :yikes:. If you look hard enough you can still find OEM damper's out there, I just posted 2 myself. I'd be shocked if anyone else had interest in one.

buckshotglass;1694651 said:
Looks great! Will you be bringing this to Pa this year?

That's the plan...built, tuned and broken in by the meet. It's gonna be close, if not will be at the fall meet for sure!!

Raptor Racing

Supramania Contributor
Nov 5, 2005
Toronto
I'm looking to max the turbo out, for dyno purposes only...I won't drive it at it's max output. I've owned the turbo for about 8 years and haven't fully run it on a car, I'm hoping to get about 450rwhp out of it but won't lose sleep if it gets a lot less. In my opinion the MK2 is scary with 350rwhp so any more than that is just a bonus.

Raptor Racing

Supramania Contributor
Nov 5, 2005
Toronto
So small update, picked up a set of these for the Braids last night:

dunhv7.xl.jpg

They are Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, got them in 255/40/17 and 235/45/17, the Braids have been fully restored and better than new. Hopefully some time next week I'll have the wheels mounted on the rims and get some shots.

I did pass by the shop today as they started to build the I/C piping, he wanted to route it different than I visioned it so had to pop by to see what he meant as I'm not sure I've seen it done this way. It'll be different for sure...still not 100% sure how it will look but right now don't' care, I'm pretty much giving him cart blanche with this build. I was going to originally use a generic ebay aluminum i/c piping but after I saw his stainless welds I quickly changed my mind:

p1697742_1.jpg

p1697742_2.jpg

Snapped a few quick shots, the more I look at these pictures the more I realize the small things on this car are going to piss me off when it's all done: p/s reservoir, brake booster, wiper motor etc etc...no matter how good everything else looks some of these parts just look like total ass...anyway here's a few pix:

p1697742_3.jpg

p1697742_4.jpg

p1697742_5.jpg

p1697742_6.jpg

p1697742_7.jpg

p1697742_8.jpg