The Fiery Debate: Stick with 7M Power?... or swap for 1JZ/2JZ

tsupranami

Drain Bamaged
Mar 11, 2006
Eastern WA
Nick M;1711457 said:
No problem. Enjoy the car you built. It is yours.

Indeed. I love my 7M cars. I'd love them if they were equiped with 1jz's just as much, if not more I'm sure. But without expereinceing it, I can only guess. Which is why I am volunteering to drive not just a few 1jz MK3's, but I would also be willing to drive a few MK4's to see which car I like the best

So in the interest of research and scientific self-discovery, I am volunteering to live with and drive some donated Supras for a month or so to see if they grow on me like the 7m's did...

Anyone want to give me a car?? For science? I promise I'll give it back if I don't like at more than my Supra...!

C'mon, think of the sacrifice I'm willing to make here...JK

But seriously, a quick question...

Can you keep the air conditioning and HVAC controls when doing a 2jzgte swap into an ma70? Is there a section or forum post on this anywhere? I've heard that those had to go for the swap, and I wasn't willing to give those up, so I too stuck with the 7M out of convenience and lack of knowledge to do otherwise...

tsupranami

Drain Bamaged
Mar 11, 2006
Eastern WA
S.A. supra;1711507 said:
Yes you can

Drive your car for a month or so to see if I like it? You rock!

JK!

You were talking about HVAC, weren't you....

Darn...

So for a 2j swap, you would use the 2j ecu and do a little wiring magic to hook up dash and hvac, etc? I'm guessing it's not exactly plug and play, or is it?

I'll keep searching, but haven't found it yet...anyone got links?

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
So I just read through this whole post. Very good poins made by many people. It seemed like a draw between 2J and 7M.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ons-2Jz-or-7mGTE-built-motor-for-450whp/page5

My goal would be to have a fully streetable (full interior), fully reliable (as reliable as possible) and wondered what the real cost would be, from start to finish, for building a 7M to 500+ rwhp.

Starting with bone stock, which is basically what mine is right now. Also, something to note, is that I would 'do it right'. So keeping cost to a minimum is not the goal. I want to know the cost of all the best stuff. Elite engine bay territory. Steel braided lines everywhere. Has anyone calculated out what it costs to do this from scratch?

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Oct 12, 2010
Wyoming
From me personally...

7m- I think these are a "dying" motor as i see more and more swaps. So i think its always cool that some ppl are still building up the 7m. However it MUST be done right ect...= money. But they can be just as good as the other motors if done so.

1j- why even bother. To me, wouldn't be as fun to drive as it doesn't have the same torque as the 7m or 2j. They were cool..and still kinda are...but..ill take the torque

1.5j- Always had a soft spot for these motors. Seems like a cool way to go. Really different. Keep the torque and the high revin 1j head. Yes the 1j head doesn't flow as good as the 2j but i still think they are very unique motors and i always like seeing them. But takes more time and pretty customish. so...not really worth it in the long run i think.

2j- Very popular swap these days. To me, a much more refined 7m. However, they are pricey to buy and damn the parts are pricey too! but these are always sweet motors.

Im in the middle of rebuilding my 7m. Will be at 4-500 hp. Lookin back, yea it prolly wouldve been a bit easier and cheaper to go 2j. But man o man am i gonna be one hell of a proud 7m owner when this beast hits the streets. 7m is what came in our cars. And to me, thats sorta how it should stay. Just kinda keeps it classy :p

But all in all, 7m 2j are both great motors.

all depends on your skills, money, and time.