The big seat question. Can you help me?

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello,
I've been thinking about this for almost as long as I've had my supra. I've had it since 2008.
The question is; "what should I do about my seats?"

My current seats are in bad shape and I really need to do something about them.

I want reclining seats since I use my supra as a daily driver during the summer.

The alternatives I currently have are these:

#1 keep the stock seats and recover them in 2-tone (black outer and gray inner)
Pros: already installed. Crash tested.
Cons: Weight

#2 Sparco R100
Pros: Weight. Same price as new covers for the stock seats
Cons: Unsure if as safe as stock. Unsure about fitment.

#3 Sparco R333
Pros: Weight

I've also considered stock seats from other cars like mitsubishi evo, subaru impreza, honda s2000
Pros: Maybe weight. Crash tested
Cons: Condition might be as bad as my stock seats. Unsure about fitment.

Any ideas on how I should proceed?
Have you replaced your seats? If so, with what?

I have already seen a lot of stock seats with new covers.

Thanks.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
eraezer;1966840 said:
Hello,
I've been thinking about this for almost as long as I've had my supra. I've had it since 2008.
The question is; "what should I do about my seats?"

My current seats are in bad shape and I really need to do something about them.

I want reclining seats since I use my supra as a daily driver during the summer.

The alternatives I currently have are these:

#1 keep the stock seats and recover them in 2-tone (black outer and gray inner)
Pros: already installed. Crash tested.
Cons: Weight

#2 Sparco R100
Pros: Weight. Same price as new covers for the stock seats

#3 Sparco R333
Pros: Weight

I've also considered stock seats from other cars like mitsubishi evo, subaru impreza, honda s2000
Pros: Maybe weight. Crash tested
Cons: Condition might be as bad as my stock seats. Unsure about fitment.

Any ideas on how I should proceed?
Have you replaced your seats? If so, with what?

I have already seen a lot of stock seats with new covers.

Thanks.

Well if this is your daily, I would just get the seats reupholstered IMO.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
keep the stock seats and restore them... the supra seats are some of the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in hands down

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I am for redoing the factory seats. I love the comfort of them. Heck, our cars are a heavy GT touring machine. Looking forward to adding lots of Second Skin products for vibration and noise reduction. Oh and heat copntrol also. I have heard that S2000 seats bolt in. Don't know for sure. Good luck with your quest.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
1-2clutch-u;1966854 said:
i also would like to know. but keeping stock for me is not an option. You can loose 100lbs if not more in just changing seats

If you are going for weight reduction then you are probably willing to trade comfort...

I hear the celica all trac seats are lighter and equally as comfortable...but hard to find...

ghostmkiiiturbo

Aug 27, 2013
Florence, KY
I'm thinking about this too. I would definitely recover the stockers though. Racing seats suck for comfort even Sparco brand. If you take your car to the track and want to save a little bit of weight you can take your driver seat out and use your passenger seat for the driver as it is much lighter. Another pro to stock seats are the lumbar controls etc.

I would love to have my front seats recovered in black leather(have shadow gray on the mkiii i want to recover) with seude inserts.

Here is a few ideas you can look at.

leatherseats.com
They have covers made specifically for the mkiii and a lot of different style, insert styles and colors.

katskinz or however you spell it also makes similiar covers.

I'm curious to see others completed recovers and know who/where recovered them.

eraezer do you have cloth or leather and what color?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've done both recover stock seats and, in the new car, replace them with Recaros.

Recovering the stock seats isn't that much work, but it does require some special tools, and new hog rings. There is a learning curve as well, although it's not bad.

Recaros though... easily as comfortable as the stock seats, still recline, weigh less... and you can get them for a damn fine price, too. There's just no downside.

19supra90

Noob.
Mar 11, 2008
Findlay
I love the comfort of our stock seats and the fact you can adjust them to your liking. If weight is a big issue for you then i would say go with something aftermarket. But if not stick with the stock seats and reupholster them. Stay comfy on your daily commutes! lol.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
craigh310;1966979 said:
I went with recovering the stock seats. I had them done with leather faces, and Uni Suede centers. In California, it cost me around $1,800.00 for the full interior, front and back seats, door panels, center console, and the rear carpet.

If you go with the aftermarket seats, I found this place which sells the brackets.
http://wedgebrackets.com/toyota-supra-86-92-seat-brackets.html?___SID=U

Before
View attachment 70187

After
View attachment 70188View attachment 70189

This looks great. I like the two tone look.