T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
$uper$upra;1632459 said:
i wanna know how you guys fixed the oil drain and feed lines. or just ordering this hoping it bolts up cause it doesn't.

you need custom lines made up, the turbo uses standard T4 flanges. I had a few fittings made to use the standard block return.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
I think I will be e-mailing CXRacing personally as well and ask them if they've taken any actions as to fix these problems.

However, one key question still remains to be answered: to those of you with this turbo, how reliable do you think it is so far?

gemiz

Jun 1, 2009
>Norway
Please post your email, and reply from CX in this thread.. Im going to buy one soon. All info is good info :)

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Inygknok;1633419 said:
I think I will be e-mailing CXRacing personally as well and ask them if they've taken any actions as to fix these problems.

However, one key question still remains to be answered: to those of you with this turbo, how reliable do you think it is so far?

0 Turbo related issues, No shaft play No smoke No funny noises. about 9000km on the clock since installing and most of that was WOT :p The turbo is reliable IMO Boost control on the other hand needs some fiddling.

I took a video with new pipes, its short and crappy. i'm making a compilation video just need some out of car video to top it off.

It started wheel spinning pretty quick and was on the limiter. as you can see not exactly slow, FYI - 105km - 95km (60mph~) my speedo's out after swapping to a R154. Boost comes on very quickly, this run was at low boost (13psi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeq8vBDCER8

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I have about 2k miles on this turbo, and it is how it was when it was brand new. no play, smoke, etc.. i agree with paradox, The only main downfall with this turbo is wastegate control.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
I am interested in seeing how it would perform with a 3.73 rear instead of the 4.3 ......... The load of a 3.73 might do some wonderfully things.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
paradox616;1633888 said:
0 Turbo related issues, No shaft play No smoke No funny noises. about 9000km on the clock since installing and most of that was WOT :p The turbo is reliable IMO Boost control on the other hand needs some fiddling.

I took a video with new pipes, its short and crappy. i'm making a compilation video just need some out of car video to top it off.

It started wheel spinning pretty quick and was on the limiter. as you can see not exactly slow, FYI - 105km - 95km (60mph~) my speedo's out after swapping to a R154. Boost comes on very quickly, this run was at low boost (13psi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeq8vBDCER8

May I have your permission to send your information to CXRacing? I'd like to write an elaborate e-mail to them since you've mentioned you're quite busy. Since the remaining problems are on their end, it'd be nice to give them a constant follow-up with the few details that need to be sorted. If they are truly willing to sort out the issues, then I imagine they don't mind being poked constantly.

Heck, I'm saving up the money I'm making by selling old parts to get one of these as well. Cleaning the stock MK3 seats in an apartment isn't as easy as it sounds :/

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Inygknok;1633947 said:
May I have your permission to send your information to CXRacing? I'd like to write an elaborate e-mail to them since you've mentioned you're quite busy. Since the remaining problems are on their end, it'd be nice to give them a constant follow-up with the few details that need to be sorted. If they are truly willing to sort out the issues, then I imagine they don't mind being poked constantly.

Heck, I'm saving up the money I'm making by selling old parts to get one of these as well. Cleaning the stock MK3 seats in an apartment isn't as easy as it sounds :/

Go for it :) I've already contacted them about the issues so that they may correct them however that was a while ago, i made some more adjustments to my car but havn't been able to test yet, We've had some massive downpours down here and a bit of flash flooding. in the wet 100hp is faster than 400hp :p

bountykilla0118;1633941 said:
I am interested in seeing how it would perform with a 3.73 rear instead of the 4.3 ......... The load of a 3.73 might do some wonderfully things.

Yeah I'd be interested to see the results as well.

I've put my car off the road for now until i can get it back to the tuners, its leaning out under high boost low rpm conditions (high rpm high boost is fine). I can see full boost of 20psi in first gear now. There is minimal lag in my set-up any more which I'm really happy about. I'll be replacing the rest of my cooler piping them sending the car back to the tuners in the next 3-4 months. No more updates till then sorry guys!

Last edited:

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
paradox616;1634573 said:
I've put my car off the road for now until i can get it back to the tuners, its leaning out under high boost low rpm conditions (high rpm high boost is fine). I can see full boost of 20psi in first gear now. There is minimal lag in my set-up any more which I'm really happy about. I'll be replacing the rest of my cooler piping them sending the car back to the tuners in the next 3-4 months. No more updates till then sorry guys!

Hey Paradox did you replace the wastegate with the 2-Port Turbonetics to get 20psi in first? Do Tell!

I had a valve seat come out of mine and have to flatbed the car 200 miles this weekend to get it to my shop where I can pull the head before winter. Really hoping the bore/piston is okay. The saga continues for me...

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
CBatstone;1635343 said:
Hey Paradox did you replace the wastegate with the 2-Port Turbonetics to get 20psi in first? Do Tell!

I had a valve seat come out of mine and have to flatbed the car 200 miles this weekend to get it to my shop where I can pull the head before winter. Really hoping the bore/piston is okay. The saga continues for me...

nope, using the waste gate that came with it. I simply fixed more leaks and replacing alot of rubber hose with stainless piping. The boost control still could be refined but its not uncontrollable any more, Having said that i have not had to the chance to take the car anywhere i can hit high rpm in third gear as i do not dare do anything that stupid in the suburbs..

My car is now suffering from mass traction problems but this just proves boost is coming on alot earlier :), looks like i need some wider tyres after i get it back from the tuner.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
I just got my own T61 about an hour ago. And I have great news about one detail at least. The WG flapper doesn't move around anymore. Apparently they fitted it with a longer shaft and spacer to prevent it from moving to either side.

The kit still includes the cheap bolts that will break under use, so it's still a great idea to just go to the shop and get some grade 8 bolts that can handle the job (also still incorrect size).

Unfortunately, I can't tell if they've solved the weak WG spring issue as I don't have the equipment at home to test it out. I'll *try* to see if one of the local turbo shops can test it out for me real quick on Monday as I'm busy the rest of the day. I would also love to open up the cold side to see if they've done anything to seal it better but I would like to know what's the torque for the bolts holding it together for when I put it back.

Attachments

• DSCN0858..JPG
    DSCN0858..JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 145

TurboLag

Jul 1, 2010
ILLINOIS
so i talked to a fabricator locally who does some insanely good work at an insanely good price and now have a question since he says its simple/easy for him to do.

i HAVE NOT READ since my last post and am about to walk out of wifi so im typing this fast, did you guys solve the internal gate boost control issues? because i got a fabricator willing to drill and weld on a tial WG bung onto the stock CT manifold. and he said it was simple for him to do.

so basically its like being single but stock at the same time :D

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Inygknok;1639333 said:
I just got my own T61 about an hour ago. And I have great news about one detail at least. The WG flapper doesn't move around anymore. Apparently they fitted it with a longer shaft and spacer to prevent it from moving to either side.

The kit still includes the cheap bolts that will break under use, so it's still a great idea to just go to the shop and get some grade 8 bolts that can handle the job (also still incorrect size).

Unfortunately, I can't tell if they've solved the weak WG spring issue as I don't have the equipment at home to test it out. I'll *try* to see if one of the local turbo shops can test it out for me real quick on Monday as I'm busy the rest of the day. I would also love to open up the cold side to see if they've done anything to seal it better but I would like to know what's the torque for the bolts holding it together for when I put it back.

looks the same as mine, it didn't come loose until after a few heat cycles. id still secure it with a grub screw! having said that they modified the flapper arm so it wont catch on the housing as easy! its nice to see our feedback taken seriously!

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
Ah, I will secure it for precaution's sake then. Haven't had a chance to test out the WG pressure though.

A note to anyone else that buys this turbo. Not sure if it has been discussed, but you might need to rotate the center section just a tiny bit counter-clockwise (looking from the front) so you can fit a flange and AN fittings. The exstension from the WG is in the way and will not let you place the fittings. Reall easy to do here. Just remove the WG (1 clip and 2 bolts in the base), loosen the bolts around the compressor housing just a bit, and then loosen the ones holding the turbine housing.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Inygknok;1644421 said:
Ah, I will secure it for precaution's sake then. Haven't had a chance to test out the WG pressure though.

A note to anyone else that buys this turbo. Not sure if it has been discussed, but you might need to rotate the center section just a tiny bit counter-clockwise (looking from the front) so you can fit a flange and AN fittings. The exstension from the WG is in the way and will not let you place the fittings. Reall easy to do here. Just remove the WG (1 clip and 2 bolts in the base), loosen the bolts around the compressor housing just a bit, and then loosen the ones holding the turbine housing.

Is this on your car yet? I'd like to hear your impressions of it, and see if they've made any changes.

I'm think about buying one from Zankoku, but I'm not sure this the route I want to go.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
As am I. Sounds like a decent alternative to a CT26 60-1 upgrade...I just want a stockish looking snail that'll do 400-500 whp reliably. This seems to fit the bill really well, I may have to budget it into my build.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
Bleakvoid;1654322 said:
As am I. Sounds like a decent alternative to a CT26 60-1 upgrade...I just want a stockish looking snail that'll do 400-500 whp reliably. This seems to fit the bill really well, I may have to budget it into my build.

Yeah it could be, but after I read through all the post last night these wastegate issues sound like a royal pain in the ass. 411rwhp @ 16psi isn't bad though, especially if paradox616 was having issues.

If CX racing fixes the known issues/quirks then I might even use my 1JZ w/ a Stinger as a guinea pig to see I what I could get at 18 on a dyno :)

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Ok so read threw page 30 on this turbo my eyes are wore out. Should I buy one I'm sry I know this has been answered. But this has been one awsome thread to read. I'm am for sure goins to to have to do a rebuild on my motor so if I build the motor right will this turbo hold up.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
As far as quality and the reports here, noone's had any complaints. What hasn't really been answered is performance beyond 1bar...but that's really a matter of time more than anything else, I think.

Turbo really looks promising, especially for a bolt-on affair. Yes, there are wastegate issues, and some lag problems that require some special attention. But, that's kind of to be expected...Toyota never meant for us to design and produce our own turbos.