T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
SupraSean;1627114 said:
Sorry guys, have been uber busy,,,,, ok so with boost leaks still, a shitty tune and 5 psi, i made 258 and 262 trq. sadly i couldnt keep it to hold 10psi, so im guessing it was somewhere between 7-10 and made 300 flat with 278 trq, now heres the kicker. we ran it to 6k, it was still climbing VERY steadily. no drop off at 6k. so the turbo is definately performing well, especially being that its barely waking up. i appologize for still not fixing the leaks lol but it should give you an idea. i have two more couplers to replace, i want to give her a tittie bit more pload and try again. im wondering if it wont hold boost because of the mentioned weak wgate spring. i suppose we will have to find out. im going to ask the guys at the shop to send an email with the dyno sheets so i can post them up. Oh yea, and this was on a mustang dyno, which i hear read low. just fyi

Looks promising :) got a graph? Numbers are higher than mine at those levels! get it fixed and get some video's!
My cooler pipes are welded up now (hot side) just need a few a silicon reducer before i start to play with the actuator again, Hopefully we can find a suitable replacement and test it that will hold high boost.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Im having problems spooling over 10psi. the one thing i havent done yet is seal the compressor housing, so i guess i know what i need to do. I have been really busy with work lately, i will try to get the graph from the buddy's shop. its really kinda pathetic. the turbo takes so long to spool it makes its peak hp at 5800rpm. i was really expecting more torque but i realized that 7m's make most of their torque Down low, too which this turbo spools the opposite. haha. but i'm taking it to pittsburgh raceway park this saturday. i hope to be able fix the issues and run at 15psi. Setting my goals low again,haha 15's or bust LMAO. Updates asap.

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
Sean, the turbo is blowing out it's wastegate causing your slow spool and appearance of late, high-rpm power. I've cranked mine down and got it to 12psi and will try tightening it a bit more before replacing the wastegate actuator. We will never see quick spool if we are cracking the WG in the Mid-RPM Band, which is what I was, and still am experiencing after 12psi. My turbo still spools better than you described and I have not sealed the turbine housing yet. Car is noticeably faster than CT26 60-1 at same boost levels. We will look forward to all of ours being remedied once we get a suitable actuator replacement plan in place. I'm down right now with a stuck/collapsed lifter or a valve problem and have taken the car off the road for the time being. I'd like to know more about which boost controllers are designed to work with the 2-Port style Turbonetics Actuators which seem to be the best bet for any high-boost internal WG turbo.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
CBatstone;1628508 said:
Sean, the turbo is blowing out it's wastegate causing your slow spool and appearance of late, high-rpm power. I've cranked mine down and got it to 12psi and will try tightening it a bit more before replacing the wastegate actuator. We will never see quick spool if we are cracking the WG in the Mid-RPM Band, which is what I was, and still am experiencing after 12psi. My turbo still spools better than you described and I have not sealed the turbine housing yet. Car is noticeably faster than CT26 60-1 at same boost levels. We will look forward to all of ours being remedied once we get a suitable actuator replacement plan in place. I'm down right now with a stuck/collapsed lifter or a valve problem and have taken the car off the road for the time being. I'd like to know more about which boost controllers are designed to work with the 2-Port style Turbonetics Actuators which seem to be the best bet for any high-boost internal WG turbo.
I know my greddy type s controller has 3 ports on the solenoid, for internal or external so there may be a way to make it work. i will prob pick up that turbonetics dual port next week.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Drag strip today! lol. pre loaded the gate and found out why it was running like a turd bucket. the flapper was getting stuck on the elbow gasket. so i know it held 10psi last night steadily. so lets go for broke and see what she does at the track haha. will post results asap..:)

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
ok ladies and gents. i couldnt launch worth a damn pullin 2.4 60 foots i managed a best of 14.3 trapping 106. soooo first gear is useless, second gear doesnt really do much either. 3rd gear was when i actually started freight training. but sadly not two blocks from leaving the track, i blew something major as far as seals go in the motor. blew a coupler, blew and oil line and blew a seal literally at the same time....lmao. so its off the road and getting a forge job:) she'll be back next spring. i preloaded the gate and got her to hold 14psi steadily. arg.... finally got it all buttoned up. and it went.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
Torsten abel;1628888 said:
i have now drived with mine over a year, and its still perfect, its boost actully pretty fast

how much boost do you run normally? do you drive it hard at all? any idea of the miles? i have a friend with a hatch thats on a ebay turbo. it pulls pretty hard. high 12s is what it usually runs. some how the turbo hasn't broke yet. i'm still skeptical but the more info we have on them the better. :icon_razz:

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
almost 2k miles now before she blew. but i checked the turbo today, no signs of excessive wear. actually looks perfect still. ran 5psi for about 850 miles, 10psi for 850 miles and ran it at 14psi for about 300 miles. I would say The one and only thing i dont like about this turbo is the lack of driveability at low rpm. it doesnt spool like a small frame turbo and takes some time to adjust....basically be ready to keep it above 2750rpm. But on its defense, when it does come into boost, it hits HARD. :)

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
paradox616;1630222 said:
That sucks Sean :(

I got my cooler piping welded up and mine will be back on the road soon.

Eh. its ok. i was kinda expecting it lol. but its getting to the point where its just too cold to drive a car with no heat anyway so perhaps its for the better. i just wish the transmission hadnt dropped out of my truck the day after...lol

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
Argh, sorry to hear that Sean. These cars are *always* f^#$*ng broken. We spend so much time, money and effort for the most minimal of satisfaction. Mine was running great after my 3500$ put into it this year getting a MAFTPRO, Larger Injectors, Speed Density and supporting equipment installed and I ran it for a few weeks just barely got it tuned in right and now it sits useless again with a sticking valve or valve lifter that I have yet to fully diagnose. More money to get my friend to tow it 200 miles back to our shop and I've had no fun at all with the car. I brought it to the strip a few weeks ago and had about as poor 60 foot times as you did, worse even, but I admittedly do not know how to drag race (read, launch) very well at all yet. I feel like I'm in this endless loop where my car could not be sold to anybody because of the mods, yet i've got too much into it to give up, yet its rarely ever a fun, reliable, drivable state where I can take it on vacation and enjoy it. And for the amount I pay to fuel it, fix it, insure it and store it I continally say... WTF?!

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
CBatstone;1630403 said:
Argh, sorry to hear that Sean. These cars are *always* f^#$*ng broken. We spend so much time, money and effort for the most minimal of satisfaction. Mine was running great after my 3500$ put into it this year getting a MAFTPRO, Larger Injectors, Speed Density and supporting equipment installed and I ran it for a few weeks just barely got it tuned in right and now it sits useless again with a sticking valve or valve lifter that I have yet to fully diagnose. More money to get my friend to tow it 200 miles back to our shop and I've had no fun at all with the car. I brought it to the strip a few weeks ago and had about as poor 60 foot times as you did, worse even, but I admittedly do not know how to drag race (read, launch) very well at all yet. I feel like I'm in this endless loop where my car could not be sold to anybody because of the mods, yet i've got too much into it to give up, yet its rarely ever a fun, reliable, drivable state where I can take it on vacation and enjoy it. And for the amount I pay to fuel it, fix it, insure it and store it I continally say... WTF?!

And that my friends is what it really means to be a supramaniac. :) Love hate relationship 24/7

gemiz

Jun 1, 2009
>Norway
It would be great if those who have worked with this turbo made a new thread with "how to" solve the common issues the turbo have. Etc:
-New oil lines (where to buy, how to fix).
-How to tighten the acuator
-How to replace the acuator
and other fixes that might need doing on this kind of turbo.

I know there is some pictures and how to`s in this thread, but its a 64pages long thread, and not very easy to find out what issues this turbo have, what need doing, and what might need doing.

I have followd the thread some time, and have read all 64 pages. There is alot of information in this thread, i just think someone should sort some of it out.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok.
1. needs custom oil lines, i got mine from zankoku perf. for pretty cheap.
2. waste gate springrate too low, blows the flapper off the housing at higher boost levels. preload as necisary, or replace with turbonetics or similiar int. gate (dual port if available)
3. Does not build boost, flapper arm loosens up and gets stuck on housing, weld or other suitable way to secure arm.
4. poor spool. CHECK BOOST LEAKS. comp housing has no gasket, silicone or others fix will work.

The main issues are with the wastegate design. and although it seems like alot, these are relatively cheap fixes. I made 258whp at 5psi with this turbo. it packs a mean punch when functioning correctly

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
gemiz;1630731 said:
It would be great if those who have worked with this turbo made a new thread with "how to" solve the common issues the turbo have. Etc:
-New oil lines (where to buy, how to fix).
-How to tighten the acuator
-How to replace the acuator
and other fixes that might need doing on this kind of turbo.

I know there is some pictures and how to`s in this thread, but its a 64pages long thread, and not very easy to find out what issues this turbo have, what need doing, and what might need doing.

I have followd the thread some time, and have read all 64 pages. There is alot of information in this thread, i just think someone should sort some of it out.

yeah good idea, On other news ive installed my hot side pipes, i now get wheel spin coming onto boost in the dry (more boost at lower rpm aswell!) the response has picked up lots, replacing the cold side of my cooler piping soon (its 2" for 50cm from the turbo then opens up into 2.5" until the cooler, after the cooler it will reduce to 2.5" or 3" (haven't decided yet) until the throttle.

I accidentally left the vacuum line off my controller and found out what 23psi is like... which is sideways., luckily the car hit boost cut (safety feature not annoying boost cut) I need to take it for a drive where i can open it up but its defiantly an improvement over before. Its funny I keep finding reasons for the slow spool and most of them have nothing to do with the turbo its self.

gemiz

Jun 1, 2009
>Norway
I would be real awseome with some pics etc for the how to`s, if any one have this kind of documentation.
Im glad to hear that your geting some good boost with ur turbo. I might buy one soon, as there is only 50% tax on Decembers salories.

Keep up the good work :)

gemiz

Jun 1, 2009
>Norway
If you have 7M and buy this turbo, just send Grimsta from Zankoku a msg telling him you need oil-lines + fittings for this turbo, and he will hook you up :)
Then it bolts up :)