T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Ahh, that explains it. I read it incorrectly. Actually there was a version of the ct series turbo with a 2 port system, though I believe it opened as one.

Edit: ahh here it is ct20b

CT20B%20st.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
My bets :p

15psi - 400rwhp (my dyno was a dynapac which supposedly is lower)
5psi - 220rwhp

IwankMKIII, the theory is you add boost reference into the bottom of the actuator which helps stops the valve from blowing open and helps controlling boost spike. You bleed the lower actuator input and the top input sees normal boost pressures. this is the way external gates work (or atleast my last car with a external gate)

I'll be looking for a internal gate actuator you can change the spring in. Down here in aus we have a domestic car that runs a GT35 from factory on a 4L inline 6 (pretty sure its a GT35, ford xr6turbo) Speaking to a few guys that push those turbos with larger housings and they all have the same problem, boost becomes very hard to control around 20psi and they end up dropping to around 10psi. there is quite a few internal gate adjustable actuators available :) 15psi spring, dual port should do the job nicely, I'll be the guinea pig again for everyone here :) Based on my findings i might contact CX racing about putting a decent actuator on this turbo. Good news is im not sure much fabrication will be required to swap the actuator out as its simply bolted into the bracket unlike the ct26 actuators where its welded on.

My estimate is ill have this done around early December.

On other news work decided they'd buy me a iphone4 so looks like ill be able to record in HD next time :p Pitty i wont have any reception.

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
Is there any reason that we couldn't run an external wastegate on this turbo?

Since the turbo has a proper cast divider between the exhaust/waste flow, with a proper divorced Downpipe with the integrated true divider. (not just a flange piece of metal)

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/wegotebay/IMG_7173.jpg

We could remove the flapper for the internal gate, weld a flange for the external gate to the wastegate pipe, then fab a dump tube with an external wastegate in between. Does anyone see any problems with this?

Just a thought...

This weekend at the track:
I'm at 12psi now max with a MBC and its almost out of adjustment. I will pre-load the current gate another turn and a half and see what I can get to but yeah it appears to be too weak. I'm curious to see how that new internal wastegate works out that could be a great easy to add solution.

TurboLag

Jul 1, 2010
ILLINOIS
CBatstone;1624197 said:
Is there any reason that we couldn't run an external wastegate on this turbo?

Since the turbo has a proper cast divider between the exhaust/waste flow, with a proper divorced Downpipe with the integrated true divider. (not just a flange piece of metal)

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/wegotebay/IMG_7173.jpg

We could remove the flapper for the internal gate, weld a flange for the external gate to the wastegate pipe, then fab a dump tube with an external wastegate in between. Does anyone see any problems with this?

Just a thought...

This weekend at the track:
I'm at 12psi now max with a MBC and its almost out of adjustment. I will pre-load the current gate another turn and a half and see what I can get to but yeah it appears to be too weak. I'm curious to see how that new internal wastegate works out that could be a great easy to add solution.

seen this done with evos. IMO it would be easier to just weld the internal gate shut, and fab the wastegate onto the stock manifold.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
No ...... make an adapter and weld on to that....... you need the wastegate to be in area where all 6 exhaust port collect .....and if you make an adapter you avoid having to weld cast iron.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I think this discussion has gone off track,

The issue: Boost drops off in higher gears
Possible Causes: Waste gate is blowing open
Possible Fixes: Use a different Actuator that uses a twin port system/stiffer spring. Or external gate but that's by far the most difficult solution.

Yes a external gate would help but the point that everyone seems to be missing is due to the design of the actuator (low spring rating), as external gates are twin port and use boost pressure to help keep the gate shut and prevent it from blowing open.

As stated earlier in this thread, the wastegate port is 4mm bigger than the ct26 port (28mm size) No ones said the flapper is too small on this turbo to control boost, IJ said he had issues on his setup.

(wastegate size post http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...by-Cx-Racing&p=1569998&viewfull=1#post1569998)

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Sorry guys, have been uber busy,,,,, ok so with boost leaks still, a shitty tune and 5 psi, i made 258 and 262 trq. sadly i couldnt keep it to hold 10psi, so im guessing it was somewhere between 7-10 and made 300 flat with 278 trq, now heres the kicker. we ran it to 6k, it was still climbing VERY steadily. no drop off at 6k. so the turbo is definately performing well, especially being that its barely waking up. i appologize for still not fixing the leaks lol but it should give you an idea. i have two more couplers to replace, i want to give her a tittie bit more pload and try again. im wondering if it wont hold boost because of the mentioned weak wgate spring. i suppose we will have to find out. im going to ask the guys at the shop to send an email with the dyno sheets so i can post them up. Oh yea, and this was on a mustang dyno, which i hear read low. just fyi

Last edited: