T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

ma70t

7mgte-s
Jun 7, 2005
va
dynapac reads higher than roller dyno my sti puts down 427 whp on a roller and 445 on a dynopac but every time you dyno a car you would get different result because of the air temperature on that day even if you use the same dyno from the day before

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
either way, cars putting down a HEAP more power since getting partially tuned. The tuner thinks he can get a bit better spool out of it but said its a fairly laggy turbo, id agree..

Fixed my alternator issues but the car still missed and was seeing RPM spikes in the logs (increased rpm) all this was doing is A) hitting the limiter and cutting ignition/fouling my plugs or B) reading higher than actual rpm and pulling timing/injecting more fuel...

pretty sure i found my ignition issues, if so its full steam ahead for full boost on the 7th of may.

ml43

Feb 12, 2009
HI
ma70t;1554995 said:
dynapac reads higher than roller dyno my sti puts down 427 whp on a roller and 445 on a dynopac but every time you dyno a car you would get different result because of the air temperature on that day even if you use the same dyno from the day before

it really depends on how the dynapack is setup,

one of the local dynapacks that I dyno on reads almost 10% lower than the average of the dynojets on the island which are all within 3% of each other

a civic that put down 161whp on a dynojet that everyone on island uses as a bench mark (because its the cheapest, has 4wd function, has the largest staff on hand, etc...) barely cracked 130whp on the dynapack

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
UPDATE: finally fixed my miss.

what was the issue? CPS gaping was 16thou... (Toyota recommend 8-16thou clearance)
My guess is the TCCS has a better signal processor than the haltech and was able to clean up the signal,

closed the gap up to 8thou clearance and reduced the gain to 0, car runs really good now, actually wants to idle etc, no misses /rpm spikes in the logs.

Looks like I get to keep my Friday appointment with the tuner! at this point there is nothing stopping us from cranking the boost another 10-12psi.

Stay tuned!

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Sorry guys, luck is not on my side with this one.. car wont start, cant drop it off to the tuners.

got the car running very nicely initially, when cold it seems the timing wanders and the car wont start just backfires and scares the crap out of the neighbours. i installed a 0.3mm gap cps in and it ran but missed as before

i've rebooked for another month.. ill be pissing off the Electromagnetic reluctor and installing a hall effect sensor...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
cps.jpg

ml43

Feb 12, 2009
HI
paradox616;1561349 said:
Sorry guys, luck is not on my side with this one.. car wont start, cant drop it off to the tuners.

got the car running very nicely initially, when cold it seems the timing wanders and the car wont start just backfires and scares the crap out of the neighbours. i installed a 0.3mm gap cps in and it ran but missed as before

i've rebooked for another month.. ill be pissing off the Electromagnetic reluctor and installing a hall effect sensor...

how do you have it wired(shielded?)?

I had inconsistent rpm signals for ages on corolla running an e6k, later found out i forgot to ground the shield

internal reluctors are actually very good and reliable if you have a decent one with the gap set properly, the gain set good, and have a good shield wire protecting it from other signals(mainly ignition signals)

mx83gte

Sep 27, 2009
chicago illinois
i have the cx racing 61 turbocharger on my supra, custom made oil feed line , used stock factory drain like some say you cannot,just cut feed line @ turbo mount, elongate mount holes to turbo, bolt it on, put 1,000 miles so far no leaks or issues, only running 8psi until everythings broke in, used cx racing 3" full flow elbow with 3" dp, mine is quite compared to ct26 spooling up, the actuator seems too soft, looking @ ct26 actuator rod i see bends to make rod shorter, and ct can be shimmed due to wastegate mount location, im thinking of doing the same with the t61, will keep ya posted, cressida gte up and running also :=))

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
paradox616;1561890 said:
looks good IJ, I think id prefer a set-up i don't have to pull the gearbox out to install/remove the sensor.

Sensor was accesible from the engine bay, didn't have to pull anything to get to it as I mounted it to the sheet metal spacer between the engine and trans on the exhaust side.
assembly43.jpg

supra_sal

Jul 22, 2005
idaho
mx83gte;1562053 said:
i have the cx racing 61 turbocharger on my supra, custom made oil feed line , used stock factory drain like some say you cannot,just cut feed line @ turbo mount, elongate mount holes to turbo, bolt it on, put 1,000 miles so far no leaks or issues, only running 8psi until everythings broke in, used cx racing 3" full flow elbow with 3" dp, mine is quite compared to ct26 spooling up, the actuator seems too soft, looking @ ct26 actuator rod i see bends to make rod shorter, and ct can be shimmed due to wastegate mount location, im thinking of doing the same with the t61, will keep ya posted, cressida gte up and running also :=))

Did you have to reclock the turbo?

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
mx83gte;1562053 said:

I had the same issue, you don't have enough preload on the flapper, it needs half a hole preload, mine came with 0 preload... after adding preload it improved things ALOT the actuator arm is adjustable (this eliminates the need for shims) i suggest adjusting the linkage off the vehicle as well. if your unsure what i mean look at your stock ct,

IJ.;1562245 said:
Sensor was accesible from the engine bay, didn't have to pull anything to get to it as I mounted it to the sheet metal spacer between the engine and trans on the exhaust side.
assembly43.jpg

ahh i see! makes sense, I've managed to get my stock trigger working reliably now, starts first go every time and goes good on boost. just a shame I'm 1 day too late. Going to move my booking from 1 month to next available time on monday (probably minimum of 2 weeks) if the cars still going with no issues

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Was it just the airgap and edge causing the problems?

I installed a brand new CPS in my car when I went MoTeC and it wouldn't fire/run no matter what I did, ended up getting in contact with a Tech at MoTeC and he told me to close the gaps down to 4 thou and to remove the unused magnet, fired right away and caused a :)