T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

Whoosh10

Mar 2, 2022
I have one of these. Here is my experience so far.

Important notes, JDM ECU with an EBC, stock 7MGTE, divorced BIC DP, 3 inch cat and HKS dual tip exhaust.

-In 3rd gear, boost starts building at 3500 and hits hard by 4k and then pulls all the way till redline fuel cut.
-Hits fuel cut at 9-10 lbs.
-Without EBC, ie just wastegate, terrible response and not much power. But, no fuel cut!
-The compressor housing is very close to the exhaust manifold heat shield. In my application, it has burned the silicon intercooler piping coupler at that spot.
-Exhaust studs on the turbine side are small.
-The previous owner claims he put 25k miles on the turbo so far.

I clocked the compressor slightly so it clears the exhaust manifold and so the intercooler piping has an easier pathway. This did make it so the wastegate actuator would not connect to the wastegate itself... so I did the ghetto thing and just bent the actuator arm so it connects. I have yet to run the 7M with this setup, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Hopefully later this year, the standalone will get installed and I'll get a chance to push this turbo a bit more.

Whoosh10

Mar 2, 2022
Took the compressor housing off and measured the compressor wheel... I was little confused by CX racings terminology of "Mayor", but after micing it, "mayor" means inducer. Also found that the previous owner used some RTV to seal the cover to the housing as suggested earlier.

Inducer: 66.6mm
Exducer: 84mm

Inducer tip
51918369001_caf24abf96_b.jpg

Exducer
51918468363_38b6fccd35_b.jpg

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Honestly, I think the best thing you can do is buy this turbo for the housing, and then put a PT Ptrim turbo in there like a PT 61 and just use the back housing you'll have a better spool and make the same power. The wheels on this turbo are so junk. Super laggy...

Whoosh10

Mar 2, 2022
That does sound like a good option, particularly keeping everything on the exhaust side the same. Been thinking about going that route or just going T4 down the line. Some things need to be addressed on my Supra before then though.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
You know the aero on that turbo mayst be the problem thinking to my gt3584rs it’s a 67/84 inducer and exducer. The exhaust wheel is different though. I’m betting due to the lag that the exhaust wheel is the standard ptrim for 25 years ago. I wish they would refresh this turbo with good billet wheel and exhaust wheel that is Morden and machine the current exhaust housing to accept the new hood wheels.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
I havent run it. I have a SP F1 twin scroll manifold, and a S366 SXE to go on my built motor, however I do not want to learn to tune the MS3 pro ultimate on that engine. I may pull the current 7mgte and rering it and throw the t61 turbo on just so I can get the 2 step working correclty, and hopefully the CPS. I bought a V6 distributopr brand new to get the VR sensors from, plus have the magnet mod, and new seal, bearing etc.. to rebuild one of my CPS's. If it wont work, I will have to find out the bolt pattern for my ATI pulley so I can draw up a 36-1 trigger wheel for it. The trigger wheels I sell only fit the stock pulley, as well as various other engines, UZ, JZ, etc... Then again, Ive got 4 MK2's, so if i dont hurt the stock internal 7mgte, may throw that into one of the other MK2's with the T61 and have 2 7MGTE powered Mk2's. Ive got a 2jzge vvti and 2jzgte sitting as well.
IMAG6495~2.jpg
IMAG6421~2.jpg