t56 swap progress

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Looks like you have made some good progress. Have you tried setting the transmission up into the tunnel at all yet? There are several fitment issues. The left side transmission mount on the body is in the way badly and will need to be cut out. The shifter will not line up with the factory hole so it will need to be trimmed along with the interior pieces. The bellhousing on the T56 is obviously a lot bigger than the R154. The firewall will need to be pounded out a bit, and perhaps even cut in certain sports for you application.

Your F-Body driveshaft is probably fairly close to fitting but I will almost guarantee you it will need to be trimmed. I am using an F-Body shaft in my car and I need about 2.5-3.0" inches trimmed.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
SySt;878362 said:
Looks like you have made some good progress. Have you tried setting the transmission up into the tunnel at all yet? There are several fitment issues. The left side transmission mount on the body is in the way badly and will need to be cut out. The shifter will not line up with the factory hole so it will need to be trimmed along with the interior pieces. The bellhousing on the T56 is obviously a lot bigger than the R154. The firewall will need to be pounded out a bit, and perhaps even cut in certain sports for you application.

Your F-Body driveshaft is probably fairly close to fitting but I will almost guarantee you it will need to be trimmed. I am using an F-Body shaft in my car and I need about 2.5-3.0" inches trimmed.

i know everything you just said, but the ds will likely be spot on, remember, im puting this into a 1984 mk2, NOT a mk3. i already plant to cut all mounts off the trans etc... and the bh should fit fine. ive already measuredand itll be tight in there but looks to be fine. just no room to get the bolts out with the engine and trans in car so will have to pull the engine to change the clutch. and ill have to cut part of the tunel out and weld new metal in. as for the center consol. i will be moving the ebrake handle back and stretching the front half of my center consol so the stock consol hole will be over the shifter. i plan it to appear very stock. only mk2 owners and enthusiasts would notice it is diff.

also, i hadnt planned to fit the trans in my mk2 until i have the engine rebuild im doing finished. however i may get started on it sooner so itll be les to do when the new engine and mods go in. however i will have to wait untill i at least have the flywheel made and get the internal slave setup i need for the clutch im using etc.. then i can make the trans mount and get the ds straightend out and actually test drive it with the t56.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Yeah, I forgot this was a MK2. So then hopefully you are right about the shaft. I too have to remove the engine/trans as an assembly in order to take the transmission off of the engine.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
yeah, itll suck, but tradeoffs. lol. guy put a ls1 in his 83 and its far enough fwd he wont have that prob. tons of room to reach the bh from the top. lol

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
more good news. found out why it wasnt turning easy when lined up, as i thought of after i had already got home last time, the input shaft of the trans was just going too deep into the pilot bearing and actually touching the crank. theres a nice shiney circle in there where it was rubbing cause this new test piece is only 16 gauge. i found this after testing it up in the air and still hard to turn. anyway, spaced it out with 1 washer at each hole and stood it straight up in the air like i mentioned before and sure enough, it was working great. so its perfect. traced the outer part of the bh on the test piece and my bro is bringing his jigsaw and metal blades tomarwo so i can trim the outer part and mail it back to the cutter to have them mod the file for it so itll be cut perfect on he outside as well instead of a large 19in circle. anyway, ill take a pic tommarow after its trimed and start the group buy. its already been approved.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
bump. group buy ends this month. i ordered another test piece trimmed to the outer diameter of the trans. ill post pics when it comes in so you can see exactly how the units will be shaped.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
williamb82;877801 said:
get it from a viper or a chevy lt1 if you can. those are the 2 strongest t56's in production cars. the mustang and ls1 t56's are rated to less power.

They are geared different also. What did you pay for yours?

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
they go for ~600-1200 around here. just depends on miles and condition etc.. and how fast the person wants to sell it. lol. junkyards want 1200+

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I was in a trans shop getting a rod for a T5, and they had one they rebuilt for $750. I thought it was a great deal, but just didn't have a use for it then. I wish it was accumalting dust now. It was from a 93 Z.

Last edited:

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
got my finished adaptors in today. ill post more pics when i bolt it to the junk 7m in storage for grins. lol. also, this adaptor plate only weighs 13lbs. so all those that said a steel adaptor would be too heavy, obviously it isnt. lol. ill be dropping more then 13lbs from the clutch assembly alone by goin with the 7.25in tripple setup.

p987465_1.jpg

p987465_2.jpg

p987465_3.jpg

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
sunday arz from arizona (andy) came over as he was here in florida and wanted to check out my progress. he is an awesome guy. we hung out, fitted it all together so he could see himself its centered and take measurements for his z etc.... and i snapped these 3 pics. meant to take more but forgot cause we were brainstorming so much on stuff. that guy is a genious!!!! anyway heres the pics of it bolted on wth my permanent adaptor and also of my tripple plate clutch slide on just to see how it fits inside the bh as we were working on ideas for a release setup.

p990228_1.jpg

p990228_2.jpg

p990228_3.jpg

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
i just had a brainstorm on my clutch release setup. since the tripple plate clutch needs a push style clutch. arz suggested using a reg chevy arm and pivotball and a wilwood pull slave.

well i was searching ebay for slave cylinders and saw this jeep arm and thelightbulbs went off. i already had one outside from the trans we got for my bros jeep as his had a diff bellhousing and release setup. lol. heres the pics

p992441_1.jpg

p992441_2.jpg

p992441_3.jpg

p992441_4.jpg

p992441_5.jpg

im gonna try to bolt or weld a piece into the t56 for the ball to thread into to mount this arm then i can just mount the stock r154 slave as arz suggested which will be rather easy for me. itll be WAAYYY cheaper and also allow the slave to be changed later if necc. its from a 97 jeep tj series.

this is the link that gave me the idea. lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jeep...009QQitemZ190214640421QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

ill test it in the t56 this weekend to see if it will fit. i can shorten it easily if necc. it is steel. ill use a new bearing of coarse. i dont think itll need to be shortened though. lol. should work in the r154 as well.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Hey let me know how well this goes i may get a 6 speed eventualy

check these guys out when you get a chance tell me what you thinks best for a 1JZ single supra setup
http://www.ddperformance.com/T-56%20Transmissions.htm

The T-56 6 Speed is the most rugged, durable and best shifting manual transmission on the market today.It is or has been original equipment on the Viper, Camaro, Firebird, Corvette, Cobra R, Cobra , Cadillac CTS-V and Aston Martin. That's right, when you plunk down $250,000 for an Aston Martin Vanquish you get a T-56 6 Speed! D&D Performance does more than sell T-56's. We design and build parts for special applications and custom build assemblies from scratch. We have the world's largest stock of T-56 parts and assemblies! D&D has participated in T-56 product development and race programs with the world's leading automobile manufacturers. Our incorporation of the super heavy duty Viper gearset in Ford 4.6/5.0 and GM big and small block applications has become the industry standard! WE HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED A SINGLE MECHANICAL FAILURE IN ANY OF THE 1,500 UNITS WE HAVE BUILT AND SOLD THRU 12/31/06! Take advantage of our expertise-call us for the right info for your application and the best prices!

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
if i could afford it i would get the full built viper unit wit hthe chevy bellhousing and make sure it has the viper shifter as it would fit my mk2 much better. maybe one day. idk.