t56 swap progress

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
edit: how about not put gay ass things like that checkbox on the forum when your constantly bitching about people not seraching? this is the only forum ive ever seen something like this in place.
william

Edit: If you weren't such a dumbfuck williamb82, you might have actually READ what's on your screen:

oldthreadwarning.jpg

(Hint, large yellow triangles with exclamation points in them mean "pay attention")

If you did, you would have seen that you need to check a box on really old threads in order to update them...

Perhaps you should learn to read before calling anything, or anyone "gay"...

first off this forum is gay. tried to update my origonal thread and it wouldnt let me as it was more then 107 days old. heres the link to the first thread.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36902

anyway, more progress. my adaptor plate according to the tracking number will be here early next week, then i can test fit the t56 to an extra 7m and take pics and post the group buy. also, last night i bought a used tilton 7.25in diameter tripple plate clutch. it has full metalic discs in the spline i need for my t56. i did alot of searching and the porsche guys run this clutch in the 996 gt2. they say it can be slipped but chatters, so alot go with the organic discs as that way it doesnt chatter and is more street friendly(easier to slip). one guy was pushing over 700rwhp on the organic discs and no slipage at full boost etc... so ill be buying the organic disc pack for it before i use it which is about $170 for the discs. next hurdle is due to the clutch, its a push type so im gonna have to fab a way to mount a internal slave cylinder like the ls1 t56 uses. ill prolly go with a tilton as well designed for the clutch i have. they arnt too much used, and usualy are rebuilt already before sold. just got to take the clutch when it comes in to the local clutch shop with a flywheel to have the flywheel drilled and tapped for it. im gonna use the w58 flywheel as it is lighter then the r154. also, this clutch weighs like 10 lbs complete so saves alot of weight, no need for a lightweight flywheel etc... and should hold more then the t56 can, and if it wont with the organic discs, ill switch to the metalic ones that are coming with it(its rated to 1050ft/lbs of tq with those discs). ill post pics when it comes in. heres the pics from the auction.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

btw, i put my rps max 3200lb pressure plate on ebay. its got 1500 miles on it. since i bought the tripple disc setup i no longer need it.

also, today i got the 1 piece gm driveshaft. grabbed it from an 80's firebird. funny thing is the auto yoke is the same as the t56 yok.e lol. im still gonna use the one that came with my t56 though, its a longer snout so will engage more and also it has the shield part to cover the seal area. this shaft appears to be the correct length already. wont know for sure till i swap the other yoke on it and get the flange i need to order(it bolts to the truck flange input flange im installing on my diff and uses a 1310 u-joint so i can attach it to the gm driveshaft wit ha spicer 1310 to 3r u-joint). i prolly dont even need to have it shortened at all. and if it does need shortened it wont be much, and will only cost about $20 to have done.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
First off, looks like your project is coming along nicely. Have you started modding the tranny tunnel yet? And secondly, this forum is not gay and if you click your link... scroll down to the bottom, you can see a box you can check and that verifies that you know that the thread is old; then it will let you make up dates/reply.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
First off, I'd have to say this forum is most certainly not *GAY*.
As SupraDream has said...Do that.

As for the thread topic...

Nice driveshaft. ;)

-Jeff

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
never saw that n the thread. just got pissed off when i typed all this stuff up, hit submit and it said its over 107 days old, then i hit back and it was gone. talk about pissed. either way you guys know what i meant.

as for moding the tunnel, no, i havent. waiting to do that till the rebuilt 7mgte and t56 are ready to go in. right now the old 7mgte and w58 are still in it and its driveable as is even with a busted #1 piston. im leaving it like this so it can be moved when necc. thats the benifit of having moe then 1 7mgte. i can drive one while rebuilding another.

and yeah, its awesome to grab a 1 piece driveshaft for $15 including the core at the local pick and pull. no, it isnt aluminum, but i dont care. itll work fine and still save a lil weight.

edit: my brother stopped by a few min ago and had his propane torch with him so i borrowed it to take the u joints out. stock ones are held in with a plastic material. must be heated so it can ooze out the releif holes on the sides of the joint. then once thats done you can bang them out with a hammer. the new u joints go in and are held in with clips that snap on the cups from the inner sides of the joint.

Last edited:

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
well, got the adaptor today, i am pissed. it isnt right. 3 of the bolt holes that bolt to the block are just a hair off. i can easily drill them just a little and they will work. the 4th is off by more then just a simple change in hole size. good news is the dowl holes were perfect and i mean perfect. fit the dowels so tight had to smack it with a hammer to go on and off them. so it held in place perfect. i got one bolt in to keep it on the engine. then fitted the t56. those holes are correct as well. the input is perfect. i put the required pilot bearing in the crank before fitting it to the engine to be sure. then put it in gear and spun the shaft both ways to ensure it spun freely. looked in the clutch arm hole and it was all the way in the pilot bearing perfectly. i grabed a front dust sheild from a 7m and brought it home to measure. i found my mistakes and am fixing them and getting a thin piece cut out so i can test the alterations to be sure it is perfect before i do a group buy. i will likely just redrill the bad hole on this one and use it myself as the thing fits so tight on the dowels i cant see a problem. or if someone wants it i will sell it cheaper. who knows. anyway, heres the pics. i could prolly go to 1/4in plate as it should be more then sufficient, but i think the 3/8ths gives better spacing for the input shaft in the pilot bearing. the input shaft on the t56 sticks out slightly past the bh face where as a r154 and w58 it is slightly recessed.

p858623_1.jpg

p858623_2.jpg

p858623_3.jpg

p858623_4.jpg

p858623_5.jpg

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
yeah, i already made the tweaks to the file and emailed it to the place. asked for a 1/16th in thick test piece. and as for the outer portion, i will trim that off with a jigsaw before i use it. did that on purpose as the autos arnt the exact same outer profile. mine isnt anyway, close but not the same, but the bolt holes are the same. so when i sell them, whoever orders it will have to trim the outer rim themselves.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Damn that is a big tranny, I'm curious to see how much cutting away from the tranny tunnel will be required though. Props for something out of the box, good luck.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
because im tired of breaking r154's, and also i want the extra overdrive gear for cruising. 6th is 0.5:1. not sure what you mean by normal. there are lots of diff t56's. this one is an lt1 unit.

and ij, dont worry, ive driven solid hub clutches before. shouldnt be to bad, but im gonna buy the organic disc pack anyway. lol. itll slip alot easier that way. i dont need it to hold 1000ft/lbs of tq with those metalic discs anyway. im not aimin that high. lol.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
ive not seen or heard of the lt1 t56's failing easily. they usually start failing at over 650-700hp from what ive seen. though there are people on ls1tech.com in the 10's on stock lt1 t56's. im only goin for ~550rwhp so i dont think itll be a problem. just trying to hold off goin th400. though i have a th400 with the adaptor already bolted to it with an a340e 7m bh ready to bolt on if i need it.

maybe your thinking of the mustang t56? it is weaker and rated to less tq. as is the ls1 t56 iirc. only one rated higher then the lt1 unit is the viper unit from what ive seen. though i wish i had the vipers shifter position, it would fit my mk2 alot better.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
LS1 torque > 7M torque, especially coming off the line (load shock)

With a big turbo, and non-instant torque, the T56 should have no problem.

BTW, T56 in the twin turbo V10 Hennessy Viper ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Duane's had zero issues with his R154...

I still hold to my thoughts that the reasons R154's fail is because they are worn out or rebuilt wrong (or not fully gone through clearance wise)