T56 swap onto 2jz pics

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Hi guys, this a paste from another thread I started. Thought I would post it here for others to enjoy, get ideas from.

Ive read through all the tranny swap threads and see how the T56 gets hated pretty bad. I came into this 2jz swap with the tranny already and needed to keep it for how the rest of the car is setup.

This is my conversion, and ideas for others to look at and maybe get some ideas from.

I started off with a Camaro box with the 2.66 first, .71/.55 overdrives. Its got all the good parts inside with kevlar syncros, and 31 spline output. Tranny shop rated it to 900ftlbs.

I had already had failures with the internal slave, so it was important to mod on the stock style push slave for the pull style clutch. I used the v-eight.com adapter for the autobellhousing, reworked the drawing a little, added a slide tube for the throwout bearing, and got the pull fork to work out pretty slick. Ended up using a slave from CNC for better fitment and to match boresizes better with my master

Enjoy the pics. Its going behind a slightly built 2jz, with 550whp gasoline goal and 800 E85 goal. All this is going into my 91 940 Volvo for the ultimate 4 door sleeper.

EDIT, thought I would update with the adapter plate is half inch thick, and I used a 91 Honda Civic pilot bearing. The input makes it all the way the through the bearing, but there was still a 3/4 space the bearing "could" walk out onto before it hit the spline section, so I made a small spacer to take up this gap.

p1891397_1.jpg

p1891397_2.jpg

p1891397_3.jpg

p1891397_4.jpg

p1891397_5.jpg

p1891397_6.jpg

p1891397_7.jpg

p1891397_8.jpg

p1891397_9.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
OS Gilken clutch there?

Anyway, I always did love the T56. An LS3/T56 swap into a Miata has been on my mind lately... I can already hear my wallet crying though, so I doubt I'd pursue it.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
I havent driven it with the 2j yet, about 3 weeks and I will. I did have this installed with my 2.5l 16v turbo Volvo motor and I loved it. With the tranny/rearend gear its a perfect combo of first gear and that little bit more split we all crave on the freeway. I can cruise right around 80mph at 2500rpm.

I bought a rebuilt T56 from a tranny shop owner that was detined for his car, but his plans changed and he wanted a different 4th gear for road coarse stuff, which changed the whole trannys gearing on him. So a normally 2700 box cost me 2400 shipped to my door. I bought the cad file off Ebay for 25.00 and have a friend who did some trade work for me. So my end was about 500 worth of fabbed parts I traded him for 2 billet shift knobs, adapter and throw out bearing guide.

Edit. I forgot to add the clutch fork stuff and the cnc cylinder. slave was 76 and clutch parts just under a hundred bucks.

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
nathaninwa;1892798 said:
Thanks guys. Im about 2 weeks from starting this up and seeing just how badass your guys 2j is!
People don't stick these things in just about anything without a good reason... ;)

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
te72;1892943 said:
People don't stick these things in just about anything without a good reason... ;)

I'm getting anxious. All the pcs are coming togetherly nicely, and with the youtube vids I've been watchin and feedback from my tuner on the turbo I chose, it should be a wild one. Ill keep you guys updated on the dyno session.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
nathaninwa;1895050 said:
I'm just about done mechanically with this setup, all that's left is some wiring. Dec 8th is the tentive date to fire this thing up.
Heck of a schedule you keep there. I'm usually good with "sometime this month..." :p

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
I'm pretty excelerated on this one. Cara been down since july and its my daily! Its 99% right now. Couple small things and it will be ready for a Saturday fire up this weekend.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
I got this workin this weekend. AEM needs tuned, but motor is all broke in, and drives just like it did with the last motor, with the exception of better offidle tq! I'm coming from a 2.5l 4 cylinder to this 3.0. And what felt overgeared a littleis now smooth as can be. I'm happy with the way the triple disc is feeling, and I just love the way a rail style tranny shifts.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Rail style transmission? Do you mean the rather direct shift pattern on the T56? If so, that was one of my favorite features.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
te72;1899982 said:
Rail style transmission? Do you mean the rather direct shift pattern on the T56? If so, that was one of my favorite features.

Yea, the style of shifting the T5's and T56's have. Its kinda notchy, but I like it. Gives me postiive feedback its in gear.

dubsupra209;1899983 said:
How's the that triple plate clutch is it loud? Is it pretty smooth? It's exedy right? Looks like one.

Yep, Exedy triple, engagement is rather smooth like stock (tho I worked pedal ratios out with slave and master combos too) and the engagement is about 5/8 of the pedal stroke. So its easy to engage, not on/off like big heavy singles. Its a bit noisy when the clutch is pressed in, nothing horrid, just the steel plates chattering a little on the flywheel. I generally put it in netral when Im stopped so its not engaged for long.

scmaluco

May 16, 2012
BayArea
nathaninwa;1900002 said:
Yea, the style of shifting the T5's and T56's have. Its kinda notchy, but I like it. Gives me postiive feedback its in gear.

good job on the swap. you should post a video :).
and

do you happen to have access to another adaptor plate? i'm want to go 5 speed on my SC300 and a T56 would be great.. any more info on that? PM me if you can.. or post here.. thanks.. did you have to mod anything on the tranny to make it fit?.

thanks

Yep, Exedy triple, engagement is rather smooth like stock (tho I worked pedal ratios out with slave and master combos too) and the engagement is about 5/8 of the pedal stroke. So its easy to engage, not on/off like big heavy singles. Its a bit noisy when the clutch is pressed in, nothing horrid, just the steel plates chattering a little on the flywheel. I generally put it in netral when Im stopped so its not engaged for long.