T4 Upgrade - HELP me if you've done it.

SimpleIcon

Brigadier General
I have $1000 I can blow right now... and my CT26 is burning oil. It's time to upgrade wouldn't you say?

I want to do the T4 upgrade but I'm not sure what specs I should look for in a turbo. (I especially need to know A/R for about 400HP to 500HP) (im guessing a A/R of .60??)

Anyway. Ive read alot about the Ebay manifolds on supramania and their problems especially with SSAUTOCHROME. But they are cheap and I'm a student with a budget and I'm willing to risk it especially with the chance of the Second Gen manifold out there. Im going to probably end up getting one of those... Like this one

As for the turbo, that depends on what you guys recommend. I've been looking at this one

Now, my questions:

What about oil:
How do i hook the turbo up to the current oil supply/drain? Is there a kit for this? I am a DIYer, I might end up making one if worse comes to worse.

What about Exhaust:
What do I need to buy to successfully hook my t4 to the faberacated downpipe? Again, what kind of flange do I need for the turbo itself? Is it something I can weld to the rest of the exhaust?

Wastegate:
Need one... What should I get? (again please stay inexpensive, and i know YGWYPF...)

And thats pretty much it. I hope to have it done by Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the help

PS. I could get my CT26 rebuilt... but thats just not enough for me. besides, I would be maxing it out at 400...

Last edited:

SimpleIcon

Brigadier General
Just FYI, Here are my specs:

Complete engine Rebuild
JE Pistons Bored .20 over
HKS 2mm Stopper MLS Head Gasket
Dashboard Swap.
Removed sound deadening tar from under carpet
new carpet
13lb racing seats
Full 3" Catback Exhaust
Nocat 3" DownPipe
Megan Racing strait though designed muffler
HKS intake/filter
Walbro 255 fuel pump
ARP head bolts
I will be adding the 550's and MAF mod soon

Last edited:

Serzy

Apr 20, 2005
LI NY
www.myspace.com
Your idea is good but dont buy one of those ebay turbos... Youll regret it. If its a t4 youll want an ar between .6 and .8 at the most really... that one is like 1.1 or something you wont spool it very easily.

mullenc525

Apr 4, 2005
It looks bigger than a 0.6 ar exhaust, they are probably talking about the compressor ar. You will never get a straight anwswer from them. Dont buy that turbo. There are many others available for a bit more that are much better.

SimpleIcon

Brigadier General
Excellent. Yes you are right. I see that they are talking about the compressor housing. ... So what I am looking for is the Exhaust housing to be .60 AR right?

Great, So, what turbo should I buy within my budget?? Do you have a link to it?

What about this one? It's one of those Hybrid things... I thought those were only to be used on civics and other 4 bangers... but this is the correct AR right??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T04e...012147259QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

JBatt87T

Apr 28, 2005
Athens, GA
Like Ziggy said if you have to do the manifold but not the turbo...there cheap for a reason. And on the last one you posted, do you really want to pay for a turd with a 3" inlet and 2"outlet. Good luck with your purchase man.

Dziuggy

eurotrash
Mar 31, 2005
san francisco, ca
dziuggy.com
SimpleIcon said:
Great! ok, we have already established this.
WHY? No one has given me a sound answer yet.

Still no one can recommend a turbo with a link...

Has anyone even done the T4 upgrade?... Someone please respond with some experience.

try looking for used T04 here and on sf.

if you want new contact PTE, SP, turbonetic, inovative, atp turbo
they all sell full line of turbos but there is no prices on the websites for most part because you have a lot of options

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Simple, I agree that your plans are great, however, I also agree with ebay turbos bein shit... Those XSpower turbos have been prooven to split in half... The quality is shit...

I have a T-netics 60-1 with a 70AR cold and 70AR hot side... With supporting mods, I put down 512 hp at only 23.5psi of boost... I HIGHLY doubt youd get numbers like that with a XSpower turbo... My turbo has a 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet, which is what you want for big numbers... My 70AR hot side pulls positive boost at 2500rpm and full 23 pounds by 4000rpm, and pulls to the top... If I have a 58 or 63SR hot side, I'd probably hit full boost about 3500... Its a great turbo, I recommend it... I might be selling it, and going with a bigger turbo, maybe a T70 or something... Not sure what I'd sell it for, but thats neither here nor there...

My whole point is, spend the money on a quality snail... You put all that money in your motor to make it solid, dont short out on the turbo...

BTW: if you're shooting for big power, get larger than 550cc injectors... My whole reason for stopping at 23psi is that I ran out of fuel with my 550s... Imagine what I would have done with 680 or 750 injectors... Also, make sure you have a clutch that can handle the power... Upgrade your brakes too... *hmmm, whatelse?* Oh, remember whan tou go T4 you will most likely need an external wg, I recommend TiAL... :D:D:D

Good luck brother...

Jake

SimpleIcon

Brigadier General
Thanks for EVERYONES help! I REALLY appreciate it. but, this isnt over yet :1zhelp:

ok, i agree. Y.G.W.Y.P.F. but... to be the devils advocate here, there isnt that much technology in a turbo. Two blades on the end of a rod can't be that expensive to make. GRANTED, it spins at 300,000 RPM and it needs to be made of quality metal and ballenced... ::SIGN:: I just cant see spending $900+.:aigo: I guess its just what the market will bare... :3d_frown:

Rant over.

ok, now nessesary parts. Presuming I still go for the T4 style, where do I get the nessesary accessories? (Exhaust flange and Oil flange.)

Last edited:

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Well, you're correct, its a fan... however, like you said, spinning 300,000 RPM is incredibly fast, so do you want shit internals holding, controlling and spinning those fins? Also, its not just the fins, its the flow... You want a turbo that flows......

Exhaust will be custom with a V-band flange or what ever flange your turbo needs... *Vband is the best, IMO* What you do with the wg dump tube is up to you... Either dump into atmophere or tap it back into the exhaust...

Oil: very good question... All turbos are oil cooled, some are both water AND oil cooled... Mine is oil cooled only, and I highly recommend you get an aftermarket oil cooler... Even if your turbo is water and oil cooled, get an oil cooler... Use braided stainless oil lines with the proper fittings... And you'll need to redo your oil return feeds, but thats not too bad...

Good luck...

SimpleIcon

Brigadier General
Holy crap. I didnt know I would have to redo my oil return... you say this isnt hard... but it sounds like I have to tap a hole in my oil pan... woah!:aigo: Well, if i built that 7m... i can pretty much do what the hell i want with it...

Are their any good tutorials or howtos on what needs to be done? ... or will i be the first to create one?

(still lookin for answers to OIL and EXHAUST)

Thanks

Disco Stu

Unaturally Aspirated
Apr 6, 2005
Forth Worth
You need not tap the oil pan since there is a location on the block to feed the oil return to. You simply need the right AN adapter and flange. I don't know of a link to get those, but you could start be searching through AN line manfr.'s sites and catalogs. Most places that will sell you a turbo will also sell the appropriate flange needed to make a downpipe, whatever style flange you get. You will also need to make sure that the turbo will fit on the manifold when it is in the car. Runner and strut tower clearance amy be an issue. If you can't get specific measurements before you purchase, plan on the possibility you may have to sell the turbo and pick again. Don't forget you will need to create an intake tube that will work w/ what you have and the intercooler plumbing may need to be a different size or location altogether. If you are only looking for 4-500 rwhp, then 550's should flow enough depending on how you like to tune. I have no idea what wastegate the eBay or Megan manifolds are flanged for, but wastegates are not cheap. I really think that unless you can find everything for dirt cheap, do ALL of your own work/welding, and spend very little time tuning you will not be able to do this for a grand.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
SimpleIcon said:
Holy crap. I didnt know I would have to redo my oil return... you say this isnt hard... but it sounds like I have to tap a hole in my oil pan... woah!:aigo: Well, if i built that 7m... i can pretty much do what the hell i want with it...

Are their any good tutorials or howtos on what needs to be done? ... or will i be the first to create one?

(still lookin for answers to OIL and EXHAUST)

Thanks

Im going to officially stop trying to help you...

Good luck...