T4 Turbo oil drain into Pan ok?

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
Working on my T4 set up & ran into a problem. I have the Drewgo Manni & the lowest part of the runners are in front of the stock turbo drain of the block. I intended to use the block flange made by ARZ but...not working out. Can I run the drain into the oil pan where the stock oil cooler line was? Now I'm also installing thermostat controlled Oil filter relocation & cooler. This eliminates the stock set up. The current oil pan line is smaller then -10 I want to use. Can I get by with I think is a -8 to -10 fitting & be ok on the drain?

I Plan to use the existing hole for stock #2 oil cooler hose shown here
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=LU&P=15

Last edited:

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
-8AN is plenty for the turbo drain. Anything more a 2x the size of the feed is a waste. It will have no bennifit. So assuming your using a -4AN feed like most other T4 turbo setups, -8AN is plenty.

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
/\ Thanks

A teaser shot since I'm so excited about being so close to getting away from the CT

p1391702_1.jpg

Now back to my problem. After adjustments the -10 SS drain line will fit but looks like it will be at a slight upward angle once cut down & AN straight is on & mounted to block flange. I know to get that drain line straight as possible but from these pics what do you pros think, suggestions?

Block Side flange
p1391702_2.jpg

Turbo Side Flange
p1391702_3.jpg

-10 Line (Untrimmed) Part going up between block & manni is excess
p1391702_4.jpg

Last edited:

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
dude, get a speed flow 90deg fitting or similar and run it up?

if you decide to drain into the sump make sure that it is ABOVE the oil level. I'm not sure the return line for the oil cooler actually is much above the resting oil level. remove the fitting with a full sump and find out :) when the motors running the resting oil level with be lower than sitting oil level.

Does the standard fitting flow enough? from memory its only a 8.8mm hose which isn't much thicker than a typical feed line which could cause oil back pressure.

turbo seals are not designed to deal a full turbo of oil, so any back pressure will be bad this is why the return line is 2x the size of the feed, master powers run a journal bearing which will leak.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
There should be a way to get it to the stock oil drain in the block,, just play around with some different angle of fittings or a different angle on the drain line. Jeff had pretty much the same problem, it took us a while but we finally got it figured out.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i have mine draining right into pan, using -10 drain. havent had a problem

the problem with using that manifold and the stock drain location is that you cant have it come up, needs to flow straight down.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
empera;1392350 said:
i have mine draining right into pan, using -10 drain. havent had a problem

the problem with using that manifold and the stock drain location is that you cant have it come up, needs to flow straight down.

Did you use the oil cooler return fitting or make your own?

I'm going to guess that with -10 you'd need to make a new fitting, did you remove the sump and drill/weld it properly?

suicide

Jan 14, 2007
Barrie , Canada
i am just dealing with a few of my own return issues and was wondering if anyone new if the circled location in the picture can be used as a oil return?

hope someone can help
7mblockoildrainfitting2.jpg

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The location on the pan is piss poor for a gravity fed oil return. From what I've seen most who've tried it have ended up blowing seals... costly. One hard turn while boosting and you've covered essentially plugged the drain.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
you mentioned ARZ did the fitting for the return?

i cant seem to find a fitting to suit the block like yours (stock return location), could you point me in the right direction?

suicide

Jan 14, 2007
Barrie , Canada
sorry to jump into this tread with my own issues but this is my problem...

here are a few pics:
dsc00023hh.jpg

dsc00051tp.jpg

dsc00048yr.jpg

dsc00045us.jpg

as you can see i have some clearance issues to go to the stock oil return. if i put the hose on its does a little up before the block. as far as i know gravity wont push up. so i was thinking of a 90 going toward the back of the engine then going up but i dont know if its good to go across a bit. im really lost right now and not sure where to go. i have thought of just going with a different manifold. but i dont want to unless i really need to .

hope someone can help me or just maybe let me know some more setails about the oil return.

thanks

Last edited:

suicide

Jan 14, 2007
Barrie , Canada
suprafanatic;1432273 said:
that looks like it flows down then back up alittle before the block..

it does thats what i was asking if its ok for it to have that slight step up?

the only other way i was thinking of was to tee into where the return line is on the oil filter housing since i am running a relocation filter. or is that no good either?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It's a gravity drain.....

UP = bad..

likewise if the drain hole is in line with a Conrod that can cause issues as well.

The Rear "seal" in most Turbo's is a simple labyrinth that if you impede the drain in any way shape or form will flood into the Turbine housing and smoke like a bitch.