T4 on my 7MGTE

BossMKIII

Mar 2, 2012
Modesto, California
Hello everybody, I have never posted on Supra Mania I have just been a lurker to this point but I have a question about my '88 Turbo Supra. I have only owned my Supra for 7 months and unfortunately I have not been able to do much to it because I don't have a steady income. I have tried researching as much as possible but I didn't see a post about this on here yet. I want to replace my turbo manifold and want to get a T4 setup. I was thinking about getting the manifold from CXRacing. This was the turbo I was looking at,

http://store.max-redline.com/servlet/-strse-337/T4-Turbocharge-AR.60-COLD/Detail

My budget is low but I'm trying to do what I can. I added up the manifold,50mm wastegate and turbo and it came to 520 not including tax or shipping.
I was just wondering, are these 3 parts enough to do a T4 setup? What things do I need to get this T4 on ASAP? I'm not trying to do it fast and reckless I'm just wondering what are the base things I need for the T4 setup? I will get fuel injectors soon enough and a new intake, I just want to get some feedback as to what some of you guys would do or have done. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Tony.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
That turbos hot side a/r is to big bro. It won't spool as fast on the low end.

If you wanna buy a t4 manifold and a 50mm wastegate cheap, pm me.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
You'll need

T4 turbo
T4 exhaust manifold
Wastegate
Downpipe for turbo
A intake pipe that allows you to use stock lines for pcv,iac,bov,afm ect.
Braided oil lines for the feed and drain for the turbo

That's it assuming you don't break anything taking things apart

BossMKIII

Mar 2, 2012
Modesto, California
What T4 Turbo would you suggest? Cheap but really reliable, I rather wait and spend the right amount of money on the right thing than get a turbo thats cheap but lasts like 2 months lol. I really hate having a low budget but if I have to play the waiting game for the right stuff, I am willing to.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Right now I think you'd be more than happy with an upgraded CT26. You still wouldn't have the supporting mods to safely back that up though.

"Cheap but really reliable" - This is extremely rare.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Holset would be the cheapest.

I love this from that link.
"- Spool Much Faster than other AR1.15 T4 T04B Turbos "

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Where is it cracked?
Can always find a good used one for cheap. T4 setup is going to cost 1500-2k unless you just get everything used and constantly look for deals.

Upgraded ct is around 500 from Albert.

BossMKIII

Mar 2, 2012
Modesto, California
I'm not the best at explaining but I guess you would say on the inside, it's hard to get your eye on it but I have a decently loud exhaust leak and I have a friend who has built a few Supras and has owned a few, I went to a friend of his who had a shop and they told me it was cracked, I trust both of em so I have just been looking at how to decide to fix it. stock or start my looooong upgrading process now.

BossMKIII

Mar 2, 2012
Modesto, California
And I guess I don't really mean "Cheap but really reliable" I mean more, what is the cost of the reliable but low cost turbos, even if that may be $700 I wanna get the best deal without making a decision that could hurt me later. Thanks to everyone responding, I'm still new to everything haha so any help is appreciated.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Stock GTE monifolds aren't hard to come by. I have 2 on my garage floor. One has a busted turbo stud, and I can't get the broken part out, but the other is perfectly fine.

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
Sometimes you can get lucky and have cheap/decent occur in the same scenario however, when it comes to turbos they are few and far between. A cheap turbo will work decently for a little while and just when the fun starts it bites back. If you are ok with a that holset or something to that effect with an ebay t4 would be the way to go. Option 2 and frankly the safest is to get an upgraded ct-26 from Albert and buy a turbo manifold from someone on here doing a part out (they are always available). I promise you that upgraded ct-26's are much more surprising than most would believe.

Last edited:

BossMKIII

Mar 2, 2012
Modesto, California
Thank you everybody for your input, I will keep it stock and buy the upgrades and wait till I have them all sitting in my garage and the start the build. If I get some money to come my way I will definitely pm you guys for some parts. Thank you again for giving me some tips and ideas and being so noob friendly haha.