t3 to t4 flange...bad idea?

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
was wondering if there's any drastic negative effects of putting a t3 to t4 flange on instead of just cutting the t3 flange and putting a t4 flange on?

i mean obviously it would hurt spool but how bad?

i would imagine too that a turbo that can breath better would be somewhat cooler too...squeezing all that hot air into a smaller hole would just make it hotter.

how bad is it really? or am i just over thinking it?

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I take that to mean that you have a T3 flanged manifold now, and want to go T4.

I would suggest simply swapping manifolds. They aren't expensive at all and you can easily sell yours.

I couldn't tell you what the performance difference would be, but you would always have to wonder what you are missing.

toyota1515

Permanently Banned
Mar 20, 2007
atl GA
i will say is a better choice to go t4 cuz the the engine is really choking with the t3 and the exhaust valves suffer with all the acumulated heat, with the t4 the exhaust gasses are going to flow more freelly depends on the exhaust system u got! anyway you will be glad you upgrade.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
toyota1515 said:
i will say is a better choice to go t4 cuz the the engine is really choking with the t3 and the exhaust valves suffer with all the acumulated heat, with the t4 the exhaust gasses are going to flow more freelly depends on the exhaust system u got! anyway you will be glad you upgrade.
I made 550rwhp with a T3 flanged gt3540r how was my motor "really choking"....

Look at the area of the Nozzle in the Turbine housing it's MUCH smaller than the flange area......

What 935 says is the better/ideal solution but the OP may not want to go to that extent.

toyota1515

Permanently Banned
Mar 20, 2007
atl GA
IJ. said:
I made 550rwhp with a T3 flanged gt3540r how was my motor "really choking"....

Look at the area of the Nozzle in the Turbine housing it's MUCH smaller than the flange area......

What 935 says is the better/ideal solution but the OP may not want to go to that extent.

i bet u can do beter than that with a bigger flange in the hot side housing!

its all in the intention of what you are building your engine for, i got a ? for you, can you go higher than that without maximazing your turbo? i really dont think so. but anyway i didnt say you cant, i just saying it is better with the t4 it gives you more posibilities and you got to agree with me in that!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
If the nozzle in the Turbine housing is the point of greatest restriction you can have a flange the size of a trash can and it's not going to make more power.... it's not rocket science....

toyota1515

Permanently Banned
Mar 20, 2007
atl GA
IJ. said:
If the nozzle in the Turbine housing is the point of greatest restriction you can have a flange the size of a trash can and it's not going to make more power.... it's not rocket science....

ok, thats why titan motorsport, gas motorsports, paul efantis, justin humphreys, kristos efantis, on and on and on,,, uses t3 flanges on the single turbo setup in their race cars :nono: :nono: sorry but they uses t6 flanges to make the power dude!

dont you think? now i say is not rocket sience men!!!! :naughty: :naughty:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
The topic is a guy that wants to use an existing header NOT race motors....

What I said is correct in this context.

I asked the OP to measure the AREA of both flanges to compare them.

I guess that is rocket science...

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
toyota1515 said:
ok, thats why titan motorsport, gas motorsports, paul efantis, justin humphreys, kristos efantis, on and on and on,,, uses t3 flanges on the single turbo setup in their race cars :nono: :nono: sorry but they uses t6 flanges to make the power dude!

Just... please don't talk any more. :3d_frown:

The nozzle area is the restriction. Ian (IJ) is right, please don't argue that which is CORRECT.

The reason they use a T6 in an all out race application, is because THE NOZZLE AREA IS LARGER on the T6 housings vs the T4 vs the T3. A/R = Area (OF THE NOZZLE) / Radius

2" Area / 4" radius = .50 A/R

10" Area / 20" radius = .50 A/R

Guess which flows more? Exactly. That's why a .81 A/R T4 outflows a .82 A/R T3.

That said, and to help the OP - you can get a .82 T3, and I believe bigger as well (Ian, weren't you running like a 1.03 A/R?) so you can build the power with a T3 footprint, no problem.

I believe they even have a Ptrim T4 exhaust housing, with a T3 footprint out there!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
In other words, if you look into the exhaust inlet of the turbo, you should see it taper down (this is good) - if it doesn't (or worse, if it gets BIGGER inside) then you will need a bigger footprint.

toyota1515

Permanently Banned
Mar 20, 2007
atl GA
Doward said:
Just... please don't talk any more. :3d_frown:

The nozzle area is the restriction. Ian (IJ) is right, please don't argue that which is CORRECT.

The reason they use a T6 in an all out race application, is because THE NOZZLE AREA IS LARGER on the T6 housings vs the T4 vs the T3. A/R = Area (OF THE NOZZLE) / Radius

2" Area / 4" radius = .50 A/R

10" Area / 20" radius = .50 A/R

Guess which flows more? Exactly. That's why a .81 A/R T4 outflows a .82 A/R T3.

That said, and to help the OP - you can get a .82 T3, and I believe bigger as well (Ian, weren't you running like a 1.03 A/R?) so you can build the power with a T3 footprint, no problem.

I believe they even have a Ptrim T4 exhaust housing, with a T3 footprint out there!

WTF!!!! men i am just giving my opinion on the isue here and you tell me not to talk anymore?, i am just trying to help the guy here, it is beter running the t4 in such a powerfull engine regardless the nozzle area , yes it is true and i am not arguing about that, but i am talking about my own experience, i know for street engines a smaller turbo will spool faster giving you a better response but i am a drag racer and love the top end power, i think my opinion is as usefull as yours, also you got more options of sizes in t4 fanged turbos i always get a litlle more turbo that i really need just in case i want to upgrade in the future i still can use the same turbo i got!

just my 2 cents and i am not trying to enter in a dilema here with neather of you guys!

Last edited:

toyota1515

Permanently Banned
Mar 20, 2007
atl GA
IJ. said:
The topic is a guy that wants to use an existing header NOT race motors....

What I said is correct in this context.

I asked the OP to measure the AREA of both flanges to compare them.

I guess that is rocket science...

is ok anyway whatever :nono:,

also remember the t3 housing also comes with smaller exhaust diameter but anyway, it is your call i am just trying to help you here making the wright choice. :dunno:

and i get flamed! i am walking out of this conversation.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
You aren't being "flammed" you info is incorrect in this particular case.

You obviously don't grasp the concept of "area" and it's relationship to Turbine housings so shouldn't be giving "advice" in this instance.

Boostage

Oct 4, 2006
Florida
toyota1515 said:

Your a fucking idiot, dont ever post again..

Ninja EDIT-- I see Doward already explained it..

toyota1515

Permanently Banned
Mar 20, 2007
atl GA
IJ. said:
You aren't being "flammed" you info is incorrect in this particular case.

You obviously don't grasp the concept of "area" and it's relationship to Turbine housings so shouldn't be giving "advice" in this instance.

ok if having a customer car running in the 7.0 zone with a automatic is not knowing, ok i stay with my mouth shut! :dunno:

Last edited:

toyota1515

Permanently Banned
Mar 20, 2007
atl GA
Boostage said:
Your a fucking idiot, dont ever post again..

Ninja EDIT-- I see Doward already explained it..

hey clown ass what the hell are you doing suffering somebodyelses fever?

i bet you dont even have a bicycle, you are like those guys waiting a oportunity to let go your hate!

you dont know me, so i will sugest to stay shut, put your tonge betwine your legs, and walk away kid!

Boostage

Oct 4, 2006
Florida
toyota1515 said:
hey clown ass what the hell are you doing suffering somebodyelses fever?

i bet you dont even have a bicycle, you are like those guys waiting a oportunity to let go your hate!

you dont know me, so i will sugest to stay shut, put your tonge betwine your legs, and walk away kid!

Fuck you cunt, what you gonna do pick up the phone and threaten me? fuck you