T1 Torsen Stress Analysis

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
Ansys is a VERY powerful program.

How acurate are his models?
Were they measured with a caliper and modeled or were they scanned with a 3D scanner to get acurate dimensions? CMM?

The reason I ask is that measuring a fillet radius is very difficult by hand and that seems to be the critical point.

What material was used for the parts? How was that information obtained? Were any surface treatments (case hardening, ect.) taken into effect?

Good info none the less, just need more details.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Cool. That's not exactly where I figured the main problem area is, but I've not actually seen a broken one. Was your model for the condition where both rear tires have equal torque? I'd be interested in how it looks when the tires have different torques on them, even 45/55. It's probably rare to have both sides equal.

Asterix

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
blackout_89t;898863 said:
Ansys is a VERY powerful program.

How acurate are his models?
Were they measured with a caliper and modeled or were they scanned with a 3D scanner to get acurate dimensions? CMM?

The reason I ask is that measuring a fillet radius is very difficult by hand and that seems to be the critical point.

What material was used for the parts? How was that information obtained? Were any surface treatments (case hardening, ect.) taken into effect?

Good info none the less, just need more details.

Yea, I would agree. Need additional information, such as material, and description of how the loading / constraint were applied.

Additonal question. Can Ansys run a design case by continous repeating a particular user input, such as load, and with successful iteration until a user defined limit is surpassed?

adampecush;899269 said:
On the actual failed part, how far did the fatigue crack propagate before the remaining portion failed?

Can pictures of a failed unit be provided for comparo on how exactly the FEA simulates acual and physical failures?

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
BlackDevilSupra;899325 said:
Additonal question. Can Ansys run a design case by continous repeating a particular user input, such as load, and with successful iteration until a user defined limit is surpassed?

QUOTE]

in simple yes its ansys im pretty sure it can order my lunch actually it just did

in response i definitly would like to see the log file for the run it seems like the analysis might have been done kinda easily

i mean anyone could have told you the stress would concentrate on the fillets on the corners thats why airplane windows are round generally ansys if used right can show you the other areas where unexpected failures can occur things caused by bending stresses

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
dr jonez i want being that critical i was just saying comparitivly to the work ive done and seen by other people the ansys analysis doesnt look like its the complete story needed to really say why these diffs fail or where they can be strengthened

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
speed x pliers are not what there all cracked up to be get good lsd and just be done with it 1 way lsd's suck

sure there good and all but cltcuh will do just fine

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
drjonez;899449 said:
drop aaron300 a line...

the reality is that it's a combo of a variety of factors- age, design and metallurgy. can those issues be fixed? i don't think so....

but its from japan it has to be good....right :biglaugh:

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Poodles;899605 said:
Just wish someone would make a new torsen for our cars...

They do..........
The newer 8" helical from Toyota is the improved T2 style.
Comes on only one particular sedan from Toyota.
Same design as the Altezza IS200 in Japan, but much larger.
(the IS200 has the 7.5" diff)
Also the same design as what Nissan uses in the R34.
(parallel gear)

That JDM guy mx83*gx81 on eBay sold me mine.
It wasn't cheap, but I know he has some.

supraguru05

SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
gofastgeorge;1050663 said:
They do..........
(parallel gear)

WAAAAAAAAAAA

and it fits in our pumpkins this i need to look into

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
gofastgeorge;1050663 said:
They do..........
(parallel gear)

Yup. The trick would be to figure out which sedan that was....I never got that far.