Synapse BOV

Mr--Peanut

Jun 18, 2008
Northeast
I really don't understand that video where the Synapse is always blowing air out. At idle, wouldn't vaccum want to be pulling air in through the BOV instead?

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
Well I think I am going to mess with the one I got and if I can't get it to quit surging at low power then I am probably going to give this one a try. Does anyone have the exact measurements. Ok I know it is bigger than X valve but I want exact measurement so as to see if it will fit in the limited space I have

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Mr--Peanut;1479175 said:
I really don't understand that video where the Synapse is always blowing air out. At idle, wouldn't vaccum want to be pulling air in through the BOV instead?

There trying to say that on that car the turbo is so efficient that its actually creating pressure in the intercooler pipe at idle. There would never be vac in the intercooler pipes unless the air filter/turbo is causing a restriction, That said i dont know if i believe that the turbo is actually working that well to create a moderate pressure in the intercooler piping at idle.

Im curious as to how close that valve is to the radiator fan......

Edit much later: I really dont understand the big deal about this. On the "How it works" Video is explains nothing about how the valve works only there gimmicks.

He claims no vacuum is required to cause the valve to release pressure, Though to do this you need a three way VSV with one side open to atmosphere. This is all well and cool on a test stand where you pressure it up and flip a switch to release it, But on a car how would you signal the VSV to open? The only practical use on a car is to hook it to a manifold vacuum source like any other BOV.

There is one difference between this valve and a regular valve such as the Greddy Type-s, the way the piston moves to open it.

The way it is actuated is exactly the same, theres not much "Ingenuity" at all. Higher pressure on one side and lower pressure on the other causes the piston to move and release the pressure.

A standard valve with a design such as the Greddy Type-s Will be just as air tight under boost. The boost pressure is equal on either side of the piston so really the only imbalance is the spring pre-load, Untill the throttle closes and manifold pressure goes negative puling against the spring pressure (with help from the boost on the other side) making it vent.

Maybe im missing something? </rant>

Last edited:

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i have know 2 people that ran them no issues and there ntot hat ugly eather and there just abit longer thne the ssq

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
i have had mine for a year now and no problems at all. I run 20psi everyday and it has never surged on me. i realy do love this bov more than any other bov i have used (hks ssq, tail, XS, bosh 110, greddy). I use a recirculating fitting, just like the stock bov uses but its twice the size! I live next to san diego and thats were the synapse is located, they are always willing to help anyone out.

ic set up2.jpg

Last edited:

onemancrew

Feb 7, 2012
Sydney
phatbimmer;1841421 said:
I'm sorry to resurect this thread but I have this BOV I bought it 4 years ago and I hope it works great like mk3tattoos says. After hearing good and bad I don't know what to believe.
i wish someone would clear it up!!