switchable electronic exhaust silencer?

supramad77

supramad
Feb 5, 2006
Dartmouth, Devon, UK
Some time back someone on here was trying to sell a bit of kit that fitted on a standard 3" exhaust that was wired to a switch so you could have a stock sounding exhaust when you were in town say and then at the flick of a switch it was back to normal. Can't seem to find the link to it as i am very interested in this idea. My car is very loud and drives me mad sometimes.

Links would be cool
Thanks for any help guys.
pat

kmfdmk

Old School Cool
How about this from Driftmotion.com

3" inch Electronically Operated Exhaust Cutout

DLGateway.php

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
be advised, it WILL leak at some point. Ive had several on my truck over the years. ALL have leaked. Best one imho is made by corsa, y pipe and switch are integrated, $$$.

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
Crud, I wish I'd known after this before I completed my exhaust system. I didn't even notice that DM had a cutout available, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
supramad77;1153205 said:
Thanks guys that was the one i saw. I would like to know how it works but it looks a good idea and saves buying a new quieter exhaust.

No, the electric cut out will only make your exhaust louder, its like running an opendowpipe.

To make your current exhaust quieter you would would need to change out the current muffler on your current exhaust setup. Then you would need to buy this electric cut out, and when ever you want it to be loud, just flip the switch.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
kmfdmk;1152767 said:

I didn't see this product before. Very nice.
1 month ago I fabricated similar device, only cable driven for my 4" exhaust. Similar to intake manifold TB, held by spring in normally open position. I didn't know what should be the diameter of throttle plate and desided to make it 90mm. After testing we found zero noise reduction, only on higher rpm/load noise was slightly less.
Now have to change throttle plate, should I make it 98mm to have 1mm gap? I see on Driftmotion unit gap is very small.

C.44

Apr 7, 2005
Behind the keyboard...
The "throttleplate" should have NO gap whatsoever in closed position... otherwise it will still leak and will make more noise even in the closed position.