Swapping oem radio for another oem...what are the possibilities?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hey guys,
I have an '89 turbo, and the deck in it is stock, but has some issues(noise, broken backlighting), and i'd like to replace it with another oem deck.

This is my cuurent deck:

p2049344_1.jpg

Heres two other oem decks; one is from a later supra, the other from a Rav4:

Is there any chance tht these might be plug&play? I am certainly willing to depin, swap plugs and repin if necessary, but i dont want to cut oem wiring. If anyone has any experience with this, i'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
All Toyotas 87 and up have ran the same harness so the wiring will be plug and play. Only the special JBL ones and maybe the new touch screen ones have different plugs. The sizing I'm not sure about. I know the 4th gen 4Runners have stereos that appear to be double DIN but they are slightly different. You need a double DIN to fit the Supra. I ran a stereo out of an early Sequoia for a few years in mine until I upgraded to a Bluetooth touchscreen unit. Give me a minute and I can find you a part number possibly. I've got pics of it in my Supra in my build I think. It's a super clean install honestly, it even lights up green to match the stock lighting. You can get an adapter that plugs into the back where there is a 6 disc changer plug that will give you an AUX input as well.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Now that my internet appears to be stable and my computer wants to cooperate it should be a Toyota 16814 headunit that I have in those pics.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
That will only plug into a factory Toyota headunit, not an aftermarket one. The Toyota headunits have plugs on the back for adding a factory 6 disc changer that would go in the trunk.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
As long as my replacement deck HAS a cassette function, i'm happy. But I would like to add the CD slot.
Thanks for all that info, Silver Mk3. Now I just have to find a good deck.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Also- a question about anti-theft.

If I do buy an anti-theft oem radio, do I have to go to the dealer to get the code?

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Billybob9187;2049489 said:
I don't know why you wont rock it with the cassette adapter to 3.5mm. Keep it true to the era of these cars.

The AUX adapter thing I posted has a much cleaner sound than a cassette adapter, and I think it looks cleaner than having the cassette adapter in there all the time.

supraguy@aol;2049526 said:
As long as my replacement deck HAS a cassette function, i'm happy. But I would like to add the CD slot.
Thanks for all that info, Silver Mk3. Now I just have to find a good deck.

supraguy@aol;2049527 said:
Also- a question about anti-theft.

If I do buy an anti-theft oem radio, do I have to go to the dealer to get the code?

No problem man, I've still got my deck, but I'm not sure that I want to part with it. I may go back to it someday, maybe not. Who knows...

For the anti theft I'm 99% sure you have to go to a dealer to get the code unless you get the code when you buy it. Like if you buy it from the original owner the code might be in their owners manual. I would stay away form the anti-theft ones though. They're a pain because of having to reset and it's expensive to have the dealer reset it for you. I had a friend have his GM one reset and it was like $90 to have them reset it...

The one I posted doesn't have the anti theft thing.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The 16815 is externally amplified but looks identical. The units with external amplifiers are not universally compatible. There are a number of different connector designs over the years, but you can adapt them as the actual electrical signals don't change, just the number of pins and pin functions.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Interesting thread.

I'm installing a carputer. Is the OEM external amplifier (that I don't have) good?
I mean, should I source OEM or aftermarket?
I don't need an audiophile installation at the moment, just entertainment. My Sup is a targa so I need a good volume level and dynamic sound.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Got it in today.
I think it looks pretty good, and the feedback/ buzz/ hiss is gone now.

p2050410_1.jpg

Question to Silver Mk3: There is a third plug socket on the back of the unit, is this what you plugged your aux adapted into?