Swapping oem radio for another oem...what are the possibilities?

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Haha, yup it's just a genuine TRD shift knob. I believe they're discontinued now though... The other plug on the back that isn't the antenna or the plug for the harness is the plug that the adapter thing I used on mine plugged into.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So, when I got this deck, I didn't realize that there was an issue with the power/ volume knob till I installed it. It was collapsed, and wouldn't spring out, so it would constantly power on/ power off.
I bought a replacement knob, thinking that the issue was with the knob itself, and tore into it yesterday.
I opened it up. Surprisingly, the front faceplate just pops off, almost like a removable faceplate:

p2052454_1.jpg

p2052454_2.jpg

In the right upper corner, you can see the cross-shaped solder group. That's the power/ volume knob that I needed to desolder. Once I unscrewed this panel, I realized that the knob itself wasn't bad, but rather the rotary switch itself.

Here, you can see the knob/ switch, now on the left:
p2052454_3.jpg

Unfortunately, my old head unit from the car has a different type of switch altogether, so I couldn't use it as a donor.
Instead, I decided to take apart the switch itself, hoping to find the spring mechanism...

p2052454_4.jpg

Um...yeah. Didn't see any repairable items inside, so I reassembled it all. Instead, in a MacGyver-moment of inspiration, I fashioned a spring from a
ballpoint pen, and wrapped it around the rotary shaft, and reinstalled the knob(sorry, forgot to take a pic). Now the knob springs back as it should.
As for whether or not the thing works, is still a mystery. I'm about to reinstall it to find out.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So, I fixed the erratic on/off issue...
Let's just say that it'll never accidentally be turned off again...like...Ever.

In fact, I can't turn it off at all, lol.
Guess I might go find another at the junk yard.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
You might be able to pull out just the knob or whatever it is exactly that you need from a radio at a junkyard this way you don't have to buy a whole radio again. The radios on the 3rd gen 4Runners look almost identical, they just have a different plug on the back because they are externally amplified.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
What's the 3rd plug for on the back of this radio?
Are they line out signals that could be used for external amplification, or inputs from a cd changer or something?

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
Recently thinking about this and came across this thread, does anyone know if I can use the factory single cd/cassette unit from my 2002 4runner will work in my 89 supra?

Ive switched out the 4runners head unit with an aftermarket one that was an improvement

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
It depends on the style of radio but check the plugs on the back of the radio unit because some have a built in amp and other will need a external OEM amp to plug in your factory radio plugs and then from the amp it plugs right into the radio.

Here is how the external OEM amp looks like for a reference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-Toyot...ash=item4197b0f841:g:W2QAAOSwl8NVd1~1&vxp=mtr

I am running a radio from a 97 Toyota Land Cruiser with a external amp (like the one listed above) and the amp fits right behind the radio as well.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
Ok I might give it a try it looks like the one in supraguys post but has the external amp

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
That deck I am pretty sure is too wide. Supra opening is 180mm (double DIN).

The basic speaker/power plugs (10/6 pin) will fit those connectors on all except the 86.5 supra. An under-seat toyota power amp will not, if you have one. Also I don't see the standard antenna jacks on that radio.

You must be careful when purchasing a different factory stereo. It must be the same width. So look at the pictures in the ads you find. For any Supra, the stereo must be 7” wide. You can tell when you look at a picture of the stereo, If the face is the same width as the body of the stereo than it is the 7” wide unit. If the face is wider than the body than it is not a 7” unit.

More info here
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?391532-Toyota-Radio-Information

Last edited: