suspension/steering pop noise

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
either my suspension or something with the steering is making a pop noise. it'll happen when i have the wheel at or close to full lock to the left, when i come to a stop from a decent speed, or while turning under low speeds. it seems to be coming from the right side. i've taken the wheel off and looked around but don't see anything unusual. i have the original shocks and springs on there so maybe the shock could be blown causing the noise. recently i drove my car through some winding roads and drove it really hard. it was after this that the noise started. i'm hoping to buy some new bilsteins within the next couple of weeks so we'll see if that fixes it. but just wanted to see if anyone could help me figure this out. any help would be great.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Is it a metal on metal sound? Could be your front steering knuckle stopper. The cover on mine was worn out and would occasionaly make a popping sound. Replaced it with a new one.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
not really a metal on metal sound. just sounds like something breaking or snapping. i'll check the steering knuckle stopper though.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
it could also be the lower ball joints, before i replaced mine they made a loud popping noise like something was bent and grinded along something but turned out it was the lower ball joint for the driver side, after replacing them the noise went away, the alignment shop showed me the play of the front wheels and said the lower ball joints were going...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
all 3 of mine do it, and I'm pretty sure it's the lower ball-joints..

although, I did get my 89 aligned recently, and I don't recall it doing it recently, I'll report back when it's back on the road (few weeks)

but my 92 DD definitely does do it..

it's more like a creaking noise, if I recall..

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
i was just jacking the car up to switch the downpipe and my right wheel was all loose. had a friend shack it while i looked under and my camber bolt is loose. which would also explain why my wheel looked to have negative camber going on before. i'm going to tighten it up and see how it does. i'll def be taking it to get aligned and all soon too. i'll post up how it works out after i tighten the bolt.