supras

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
i was just over at SF wandering around and looking at people names and avatars and stuff, just wondering whats going on these days that so many 18-22 year olds are driving mkiv supras. maybe i just can't remember 5 years ago very well but when i was 22 i sure as hell couldn't afford a 25k (at the min) car and ins. and still be able to live...

anyway just something that hit me and was wondering if anyone else ever thought about this...

ross

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
yea, man,,

lot of spoiled brat punk kids out there, that have those MKIV's in there dadies name........ maybe ig I didnt have a boat, xterra and house payment , I could have MKIV......

Will

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
I bought my Supra. But its still under my moms name. Insurance reasons I believe, which I still pay my 70$ a month for. I mean if I was offered by my parents to buy me a car (anything new I guess) I wouldn’t say no. Getting called spoiled or not.

But I’m not that lucky. I guess I care more about my first car when I shelled out 2000$ I didn’t have (had to cash in bonds!) to buy. Sure the paint is horrid. I leak a lot and the previous owners obviously hit some stuff. But I try to take care of this car like the first owner did for the first few years. I guess you just care for things more when you spend your money on it. Its like the girls who get their brand new mustangs went hey are 16,17. They go hit a pole, fence something and dent/scratch the car and shrug it off. "I didn’t buy it. My daddy will fix it!"

I think people in my age group (under 20) need to be taught the lesson to care for property. Your own or someone else’s.

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
I am the same way I believe that you should help them get a car not buy them one. I worked at a locale super market for 2 years and the best my parents would do was a 93 pontiac lemans which i had to earn half the money to buy it before they would put even a penny in to help.

basicly looked like this but was teal green with different wheels
Kadett.jpg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i bought my first car, a '71 chevy c-10 stepside for $300 compltetly dis-assembled. i put it back together to use as a DD, insured it, payed everything for it, etc...

then i bought the supra off ebay for $820. picked it up, towed it home on a U-haul trailer. took the truck off the road, put the supra on.

then 3 years later i bought my current DD. a '94 toyota 4x4, for $3200 (or 3400, can't remember). paid outright. i still daily drive the toyota truck, and love it. i have the toyota truck, and the supra both insured at the same time, and registered, etc... it only costs me $1500/year for both. :)

i pay all my own bills. it's all about how you manage your money. if i didn't buy my supra and dump thousands into it, and didn't buy my truck, i'd be about half way to an MKIV, easily. (being concervative)

-shaeff

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
yeah ive noticed that too. alot of big single turboed supras in the hands of 20 year olds. o well idc really i mean im 16 baught my car when i was 14. but i had no summer or fun for abotu a year:) all worth it to mee

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I always see the posts where they are asking "how to finance/afford" the MKIV Supra...

My guess is that many have paid the "amount/difference" in bluebook value and financed the rest. basically paying $30K for an $18K (bluebook) car. Whatever they've saved or borrowed, they use to cover the difference, since many banks won't finance above that.

Like many other kids.. they will pay anything (even if bborrowed) in ordewr to get thaqt instant gratification. Neck-deep in debt and trying to pay for insurance... and complaining that they have no time/money for girls ;-)

Of course, this is a generalization and would not necessarily apply to everyone. I know I won't get bashed for saying it here, but almost always feel like I have to put a disclaimer at the ends of my posts.

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
I was lookin for a mkiv at 1st. then i saw mine in autotrader. i go hmm they make these.?:( kewl lmao i fell in love the minute o got there. then i found sm and was really happy. o well i dont regret 1 thing especially the way the car is gonna be in about a month. i still do one day hope to own a high powered single turboed mkiv..

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
I think its called debt or rich parents!!! No car is worth being car poor over. A friend on mine in college maxed out every creditcard he had to buy a 80's Grand National. I think why half of the MK4' s end up for sale all moded up is that these kids realize they cant afford them anymore because they cant afford their credit card payments.

92Turbo

hondas suck
Apr 19, 2005
NJ
its all about finance managment...I live at home and have no reason to move out for the time being. I bought my first car (sweet 3000GT) at 17 and sold it last summer to buy my 92 supra. I pay all of the bills for my car, and Im looking to buy a Na Mk4 very soon, which I will do a custom single turbo set up on...Hopefully by the end of the summer I will have two sweet supras.:biglaugh:

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
i own a mkiv. and its not too bad, not in my parents name or nothin. i saw it at a local dealer, apparently they didnt know what it was, so i got it for $18,000. not to bad its silver targa, leather twin turbo. its pretty much stock, no big single for me, but even the bpu mk iv is bad ass. exhaust intake and little more boost and she flies. i know i have over 400 hp easy, with just those mods. i pay out the ass though $450/ mo. i bought it just after i got my raise to $15/ hr. my girlfriend and i make it fine, paying rent and all. just have to manage your money right.
we are in the middle of selling it though, wed rather keep throwing money at the 3 rd gen, and keep our $450/mo to save for vacation. if you want one just manage money guys. later
Mike

Last edited:

boostin89

May 6, 2006
california
Alot people don't really count in true cost to won, like gas, insurance, replacement parts, or anything else that goes along with it. Kinda like kids that mod their cars with their parents money and then realize they cant afford the gas/tires for their newly supercharged mustang. (I've seen that one alot).

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
If you live at home and have little to no bills to pay, it's not that hard to afford a fairly expensive car given you work alot of hours with decent pay.

Hell, if it was a priority to me, I could afford a MKIV too. But spending every cent I make on a car that won't be paid off for another 5-6 years doesn't really interest me at all.

The majority of the young people with expensive cars either live at home, parents bought the car or at least help pay, or they are just doing very very well for themselves in whatever booming business they're involved in or something.

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
I think its a matter of how much yourself puts the amount of money into it. For i bought a 86 celica GT for 50$ and beat the shit out of it. I bought my supra and barely let anyone nor anything try to damage it even though its not even close to being perfect.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Newsflash, folks - a good percentage of those kids DONT OWN A SUPRA. They are the Mk4 F&F SF Poser crew, attempting to convince everyone they are cool by bullshitting the world from their lofty position above the rest of the planet on SF.

Don't believe the lies! :D

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
GrimJack said:
Newsflash, folks - a good percentage of those kids DONT OWN A SUPRA. They are the Mk4 F&F SF Poser crew, attempting to convince everyone they are cool by bullshitting the world from their lofty position above the rest of the planet on SF.

Don't believe the lies! :D

lol, i surprised some of you guys didnt say this already, Grim has nailed it.
90% of those kiddies, DONT OWN one.
MKIIIs quite a bit of them manufatured.
MKIVs not as many.
posers will show up anywhere when something is expensive or popular.
in that case, im guessing lots of those kiddies joined when the first F&F movie came out.
"hmmm, *google* supra, ahh, supraforums.com, *click*"

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
i guess i thought that same thing but figured that in some small way it was closer to like here where most of the people posting fall into one of the 3 categories (own one now, looking to get one, or will be getting one soon and are researching). granted on here some poeples posts carry more weight when i read a technical question but atleast everyone (almost) has one.... i guess in the long run i'm glad i found this place and only have to go over there when i'm extremely bored...

ross

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
D34DC311 said:
lol, i surprised some of you guys didnt say this already,
in that case, im guessing lots of those kiddies joined when the first F&F movie came out.
"hmmm, *google* supra, ahh, supraforums.com, *click*"

hmm i got a result of supramania:biglaugh: jp