Supras Invade Vegas 2013

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
QUOTE=KenHenderson in Supraforums;9227514]SIV2013 SHOW ‘N SHINE & DYNO RESULTS

From the beginning, we knew the cars present at the SIV2013 Show ‘N Shine (s ‘n s) would be of extraordinary quality. Even though we had high expectations, the cars competing in the s ‘n s exceeded our wildest expectations.

There are a few things you should know in order to place the s ‘n s activity, judging and results in proper context: (1) the cars owned by SIV2013 sponsors and event planning staff were not included in the s’n s competition. This was done to ensure no there was no appearance of, or actual, conflicts of interest in selecting the winners in various SIV2013 s ‘n s categories;

(2) In the categories of Best MKII, Best MKIII, Best MKIV, Best Lexus, Best Engine MKIII, Best Engine MKIV, Best Non-turbo Engine (all cars) and Best Event Planning Staff/Sponsor Vehicles, the judging and voting were conducted by those car owners who had vehicles registered for the s ‘n s. These owners received ballots as part of the registration packets handed out during the registration process as part SIV2013’s first official activity;

(3) Event Staff and Sponsors judged the categories of Long Distance Award (with car), Best Supra Exterior Non-modified (all cars; included lip spoilers and RMM wings on MKIV Supras), Best Supra Exterior Modified (all cars), Ladies’ Choice (all cars), Falken Tire Selection (all cars), DSPORT Selection (all cars), Arizona Performance Award-Best MKIV, Arizona Performance Award-Best MKIII and Best of SIV2013 (all cars). The term “(all cars)” means only one winning car was selected from registered s ‘n s and Event Staff/Sponsor vehicles.

(4) For SIV2013, Event Staff developed for the first time a new category of awards called the SIV Spirit Award. These awards may, or may not, be awarded annually, but were developed to identify those individuals showing the kind of enthusiasm, spirit and “SIV or bust” mentality that infected many Supraholics and caused, or enabled, them to commit to attending SIV2013. If you have visited this thread (http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?701776-SIV2013-Preparations-and-Caravans-to-SIV), you know Event Staff had some incredible choices available to evaluate in awarding SIV Spirit Awards for 2013.

This year, the SIV2013 Show ‘N Shine and Dyno results include a fundamentally different approach to providing the results of these activities. Usually, these reports provide a list of names of the winners. With SIV2013, however, we knew the quality of cars entered in these competitions was so high, a simple listing of the winners would not suffice.

As a result, we have attempted, where possible, to provide pictures of the winning cars cars that took second and third places, as appropriate, and cars that were the runners-up in the all-car competitions. The competition was so close in so many different categories featuring just the winning cars would take away from the total, maximum impact of SIV2013, especially for those participating in the event from afar through various SIV-related threads. Put another way, if your car was a finalist in any of these competitions, the vehicle owners should feel honored. And, if you were the winner in any category at SIV2013, given the number of very high quality cars present, you have accomplished something very special indeed. We did not find all the pics we needed in the time we had available, but I will edit this post, as appropriate, when the pics in certain categories are brought to my attention.

The observant among you will note that not all of the pics included are from SIV2013. Given the crush of people, cars and event activities, acquiring good pics of the cars in questions, many times, was not possible. Fortunately, SIV2013 Spirit Award winner, Dave Tanner, came to the rescue once again. Because of his meticulous research and voluminous files, the vast majority of cars recognized in these activities are included in this post.

Dyno Complications: You know the axiom about “the best laid plans…” . Well, sit back and read on. To cut to the chase, Rev Innovations, our host for the dyno and s ‘n s activities experienced significant issues with its brand new dyno straps, such that the big power cars could not be dynoed safely (Dyno Dynamics dynamometer). The day before the dyno event, the dyno of a customer’s 800 whp car went without a hitch, as had many cars before that one, some with 50% more power.

To ensure a smooth operation, the owner of Rev Innovations replaced the straps used just the day before with brand new straps for the SIV2013 dyno competition. It is still unclear, at least to me, what the core issues were with the new straps, but it quickly became apparent that the more powerful cars were having issues laying down the power and staying on the rollers. A white MKIV with CCW Classic wheels rolled forward, almost completely off the rollers before things shut down. After this near miss, Rev Innovations and SIV2013 sponsor FSR Motorsports Creations determined that attempting to dyno the really big power cars would be tempting fate. As a result, the cars of Mike Carwin, Jeremy Hepburn, Dana Westover and Cody Phillips did not dyno since, depending on the car in question, 1500 whp was definitely in the offing.

None of this should take away from the accomplishments of the dyno winners listed below, as everyone understood the safety of event participants, spectators, shop employees and others was of paramount importance. I will tell you now that the dyno competition for SIV2014 will be of the reverse-the-earth’s-orbit type you will NOT want to miss. You heard it here first…

So with the above as a fairly lengthy introduction, here are the SIV Show ‘N Shine and Dyno results for 2013:

BEST MKII CELICA SUPRA

First Place: Freddie Chavez

Second Place: Derek Liecty

Third Place: N/A

BEST MKIII SUPRA
First Place: Rodel Aquino
p1968976_1.jpg

Second Place: Craig Higa
p1968976_2.jpg

Third Place: Amar Cleveland
p1968976_3.jpg

BEST MKIV SUPRA
First Place: WINNER: Jordan Cohen
p1968976_4.jpg

p1968976_5.jpg

Second Place: Jerred Amick
iyli8i.jpg

rwrjnn.jpg

Third Place: Brent Huckaby
p1968976_6.jpg

p1968976_7.jpg

ALL-CAR COMPETITIONS

Best Exterior Non-Modified: WINNER: Jeremy Hepburn

10126947624_a505359085_b.jpg

10s69lz.jpg

wk0lky.jpg

hre_side.jpg

Best Exterior Non-Modified Runners-Up:

Roger Reyes
p1968976_8.jpg

Chris Wealch
DSCF0047.JPG
[/QUOTE

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
QUOTE=KenHenderson in Supraforums;9227522]
p1968977_1.jpg

BEST ENGINE BY GENERATION

Best Engine Bay MKII: N/A

Best Engine Bay MKIII: Rodel Aquino

Best Engine Bay MKIV: Preston Ebert

30w74eo.jpg

p1968977_3.jpg

BEST EVENT STAFF/SPONSOR CAR

First Place: Aaron Kahn of Drift Motion
p1968977_4.jpg

Second Place: Ken Henderson (Blackie)
p1968977_5.jpg

Third Place: Ian of FSR Motorsports Creations
10162557495_27262ecb66_b.jpg

Arizona Performance Award MKIII: Amar Cleveland
Arizona Performance Award MKIV: Bryanna Gass

BEST OF SIV2013
Dana Westover of Virtual Works Racing (AKA “The Blue Bomber”)

10146633423_e0f7a3202d_b.jpg

10162940365_ae95811d8a_b.jpg

10148751095_f5fabdf660_b.jpg

SIV2013 DYNO AWARDS

First Place MKII: N/A

First Place MKIII: Rodel Aquino 440 whp
p1968977_6.jpg

First Place MKIV: Brent Huckaby 651 whp
p1968977_7.jpg

First Place Lexus: Cesar Luna 440 whp
p1968977_8.jpg

SIV2013 SPIRIT AWARDS

First Place: Shay Bisconer
p1968977_9.jpg

p1968977_10.jpg
[/QUOTE

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
CyFi6;1969064 said:
Congrats Rodel was nice meeting you, had a great time. I have a video of your car being dynod if you'd like me to throw it up I can.

Thank you. Likewise! Please feel free to post the video.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
craigh310,
I just got my car safely home yesterday after the 2,749 miles I put on her driving to Vegas and back. I had an incredible time at SIV and I have a lot of respect for your car, especially since many people would have ripped out the NA motor to swap in a turbo. The fact that you stuck with it and did so much to make it the beautiful car I saw there really shows the love you have for your vehicle. I've shown the picture of your engine bay to so many people since I got back and they all echo my sentiments. Damn good job!

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
18x9+19 with 15mm spacer 245 40 tires. 18x11+23 no spacer 275 35 tires.

I wont be making it to formula D.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
craigh310;1969138 said:
Rodel's Supra is looking great, I finally got to see it after 2 years of work.

My awards, Best Engine, Non Turbo. 2nd place, Best MKIII.

View attachment 70373

View attachment 70375

Well deserved...Definitely THE cleanest MK3 I have ever seen. Lots of custom goodies in there too, I was really impressed with your car. One question I didn't get to ask you...there was some sort of fitting on the coolant hardpipe behind the exhaust manifold where there is normally a rubber plug, what was that, I couldn't figure it out lol.

Here's a quick video of Rodel on the dyno.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1d6cWmAuC8

craigh310

Supramania Contributor
Mar 25, 2008
Gardena, California
CyFi6;1969405 said:
Well deserved...Definitely THE cleanest MK3 I have ever seen. Lots of custom goodies in there too, I was really impressed with your car. One question I didn't get to ask you...there was some sort of fitting on the coolant hardpipe behind the exhaust manifold where there is normally a rubber plug, what was that, I couldn't figure it out lol.

Here's a quick video of Rodel on the dyno.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1d6cWmAuC8

CyFi6,
Thanks for the kind words. It has been a 5 year work in progress. I was so involved with parking the MKIII Supras, I never got a chance to take pictures, or get to meet you. The fitting in question is a Wiggins clamp, it is a quick release clamp, oring sealed. It had the rubber plug, I was going to cap it, but I thought it could come in handy for a flushing port some day.

craigh310

Supramania Contributor
Mar 25, 2008
Gardena, California
Pyro15D;1969162 said:
craigh310,
I just got my car safely home yesterday after the 2,749 miles I put on her driving to Vegas and back. I had an incredible time at SIV and I have a lot of respect for your car, especially since many people would have ripped out the NA motor to swap in a turbo. The fact that you stuck with it and did so much to make it the beautiful car I saw there really shows the love you have for your vehicle. I've shown the picture of your engine bay to so many people since I got back and they all echo my sentiments. Damn good job!

Pyro15D,
That is one long drive, I'm glad you had a great time at SIV 2013, I hope you come back next year!!! Thank you for the compliments, some people think I'm crazy for doing that to a N/A, but it's still a Supra. I would like to pull the N/A motor for higher power, but in California, the smog laws are a pain.

Thanks, Craig

Dyzzyman

May 7, 2011
Arizona
craigh310;1969561 said:
CyFi6,
Thanks for the kind words. It has been a 5 year work in progress. I was so involved with parking the MKIII Supras, I never got a chance to take pictures, or get to meet you. The fitting in question is a Wiggins clamp, it is a quick release clamp, oring sealed. It had the rubber plug, I was going to cap it, but I thought it could come in handy for a flushing port some day.

I'll assume this is the fitting you are both talking about?

The fitting in your engine bay is what got me going on taking pictures at the show n shine after oogling at the nice Supras that participated.

craigh310

Supramania Contributor
Mar 25, 2008
Gardena, California
Doat;1969573 said:
I always thought your car was turbo Rodel, either way well deserved win on best MK3

Doat,

You are correct, Rodel is turbo. This is Rodel's awesome engine, Single, 2JZGTE.
A-RodelEngineBay.jpg

I have the N/A, 7MGE, craigh310.

craigh310

Supramania Contributor
Mar 25, 2008
Gardena, California
Dyzzyman;1969571 said:
I'll assume this is the fitting you are both talking about?

The fitting in your engine bay is what got me going on taking pictures at the show n shine after oogling at the nice Supras that participated.

Dyzzyman,

Yes, that is the Wiggins Clamp we are talking about.