SupraRon's Refreshment

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Thanks guys! I did not at all enjoy! :(

She's finally in her spot. It was very difficult getting the engine mount bolts to line up and the R154's big fat butt in place. Perseverance once again paid off!

p1591069_1.jpg

Yours truly. Trying to get the upper intake back into place and that is where I stopped for the night. Pic was taken by my 4 year old! :D

p1591069_2.jpg

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
CajunKenny;1591111 said:
Woo Hoo! Way to go Ron! You didn't scratch anything did you...? :sarcasm:;)

Your 4 year old is a natural! :)

Thanks Ken. I did nick the left side fender when I was swinging the engine around, but nothing major.

I guess it has something to do with us always carrying a camera around! :)

thedave925;1591126 said:
Grab a beer and relax your back, you've earned it!

Thanks Dave. I will. ;)

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Thanks Ken. I'm using CS2. I used to do a lot of fun stuff in PS, but haven't had the time lately. Then I saw your sig and decided it was time for a new one.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Haven't been able to devote too much time since I got the engine in. However, I did get the trans bolted into the chassis and connected up the drive shaft. Also bolted up half the exhaust. Couldn't connect it all as I need a bung welded in for the a/f gauge.

Hopefully I found the cause of the clunking noise I'm hearing when I turn.

p1592865_1.jpg

These are the bolts for the carrier bearing. Notice one had 2 smaller washers stacked to take the place of the correct sized one. Got these new from the dealer. I'm hoping that's what the clunking is, but I'm not holding my breath! :D

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Where was the clunk coming from?

Obviously someone had been in there before. When you removed the carrier bearing bolts, do you remember if the washers were between the bolt head and the carrier bearing housing or between the housing and the body? How did you reinstall it?

Did you inspect the alignment of the U-Joints? Good thing to do...

I doubt the washer deal was the cause of the clunk; but, what could've caused it was the combination of possibilities. If the washers were installed incorrectly, mis-aligned u-joints, bad carrier bearing... And if all three...what a mess! :)

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
CajunKenny;1592994 said:
Where was the clunk coming from?

Obviously someone had been in there before. When you removed the carrier bearing bolts, do you remember if the washers were between the bolt head and the carrier bearing housing or between the housing and the body? How did you reinstall it?

Did you inspect the alignment of the U-Joints? Good thing to do...

I doubt the washer deal was the cause of the clunk; but, what could've caused it was the combination of possibilities. If the washers were installed incorrectly, mis-aligned u-joints, bad carrier bearing... And if all three...what a mess! :)

The clunk seems like it was coming from the rear diff possibly, as if something is hitting the underside of the car. This is why I came to conclusion of the washers being the culprit. :dunno:

When I removed them, the washers were between the bolt head and carrier bearing. I assumed this is correct based on the TSRM and that's how I reinstalled it. It's not that clear, but it does look like that in this pic. Should I have installed them differently? Are they supposed to act as a spacer rather than a washer?

PR_003.gif

I did not inspect the U-joint alignment. I still have to get under there, so I'll be sure to do it. The carrier bearing seems to turn freely so I'm pretty sure it's ok.

I was also told that I may just need a touch of Ford Friction modifier as it may be the diff itself.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Been a while and it seems like I'm dragging my tail since I got the engine in. Well I haven't really, it's just slowly coming together. Got all but one connector hooked up. If anyone knows what this connector is for, please let me know.

p1598510_1.jpg

It comes from the steering rack.

Aside from that, got those pesky endlinks off the front and fitted the whiteline. Just gotta torque it up and should be good.

Here are some pics:

p1598510_2.jpg

p1598510_3.jpg

And whats left from the stock endlinks. Those bad boys were seized beyond belief:

p1598510_4.jpg

The only things left are the fuel supply line, belts, install rad, fan clutch and fill the fluids. Not a lot, but I'm really hoping to have it done at least for the Toronto Annual Meet on Aug. 20 - 22.

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Steering rack connector is for Progressive Power Steering, a solenoid to relieve power assist at higher speeds and keep the front end feeling more connected to the road and not so "light"
The plug is on the portion of the harness coming from the fender hole by the battery, and down towards the starter

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Sorry for the delayed reply Ron. Been busy battling for new wheels... ;)

SupraRon;1593117 said:
The clunk seems like it was coming from the rear diff possibly, as if something is hitting the underside of the car. This is why I came to conclusion of the washers being the culprit. :dunno:

I'm fairly certain that the washers are not the issue. It sounds like you've got the same problem as me. A loosening diff... If you leave the car in gear, grab the driveline and rotate it back and forth, how much radial play is there?

SupraRon;1593117 said:
When I removed them, the washers were between the bolt head and carrier bearing. I assumed this is correct based on the TSRM and that's how I reinstalled it. It's not that clear, but it does look like that in this pic. Should I have installed them differently? Are they supposed to act as a spacer rather than a washer?

Yes. They should go between the carrier bearing and the body of the car.

SupraRon;1593117 said:
I did not inspect the U-joint alignment.

Get a chance to check U-Joint alignment yet?

SupraRon;1593117 said:
I was also told that I may just need a touch of Ford Friction modifier as it may be the diff itself.

Here's a good read on this: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430339

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
CajunKenny;1599142 said:
Sorry for the delayed reply Ron. Been busy battling for new wheels... ;)

No worries Ken. I knew you were busy and that you'd chime in in time. Any progress on the 'Hunt for New Wheels'? :)

CajunKenny said:
I'm fairly certain that the washers are not the issue. It sounds like you've got the same problem as me. A loosening diff... If you leave the car in gear, grab the driveline and rotate it back and forth, how much radial play is there?

That would totally make sense because the clunking seems quite heavy and the diff bouncing around could definitely cause this. I'll try this. I have to jack the car higher.

CajunKenny said:
Yes. They should go between the carrier bearing and the body of the car.

So I installed the spacers correct! Yay!

CajunKenny said:
Get a chance to check U-Joint alignment yet?

I have not yet checked the U-joint. I will this weekend.

CajunKenny said:

And thanks for the link. I'll go through it shortly.

Forgot to add that I relocated the stock oil cooler. Is there any reason the stock cooling system goes through the pipes running along the frame? Does it provide more cooling? Reason I ask is I used that location to mount my IC. There is no longer room for the pipes and because I relocated the cooler I can run 2 new rubber lines directly. The way I figure is that there is less point of failure. Please let me know if my assumptions are incorrect. I'll snap a pic this evening and post it up.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Regarding wheels, I decided to give them one more shot at mounting them without damaging them. So far, they've ruined a total of eight wheels. If they do get them mounted successfully, I'll walk away with what's on there now plus eight spares for free!

Some folks have already spoken up about buying them from me so putting a little cash back in to my pocket is a good thing! :)

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
thedave925;1598516 said:
Steering rack connector is for Progressive Power Steering, a solenoid to relieve power assist at higher speeds and keep the front end feeling more connected to the road and not so "light"
The plug is on the portion of the harness coming from the fender hole by the battery, and down towards the starter

For reference, the PPS connects to #7 in this pic:

p1600753_1.jpg

Taken from here