supra vs ls1 camaro

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
^Not the case. My friend's CRX is 240hp and beats 280-300hp mustangs.

Alot has to do with weight... CRX(2010lb's) Mustang(3260lbs.)

Camaro's are a few hundred pounds lighter than us. (around the same weight as Mustangs.

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
about 3400+ for an SS camaro

O and MassSupra, i was talking about taller gears just to have more control with high hp ;) and u got a point with the longer spool tho:icon_conf

Last edited:

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
"1524 kg / 3360 lbs" for the 98, first year the LS1 SS was introduced.
the 2001 is listed as "3300 lbs | 1496.9 kg"

I just hope the guy you're racing is a bit fatter than yourself, the weight difference might be a bit closer.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Oh man that sucks, my '01 specs don't match up to that website either.

It also gives the '02 as having the lowest torque rating of all 3.

Junior

Jul 2, 2006
Ontario, Canada
MassSupra89 said:
^Not the case. My friend's CRX is 240hp and beats 280-300hp mustangs.

Alot has to do with weight... CRX(2010lb's) Mustang(3260lbs.)

Camaro's are a few hundred pounds lighter than us. (around the same weight as Mustangs.

ok, fair point.

so revision to my previous statement "all other things being equal."

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
hmmmm.... I'm late to the party... and amused at the debate.

Our cars are HEAVY. They are "difficult" to launch... and must overcome traction issues in the 0-60' range... and OFTEN after THAT, if you have any power at all.

I'm around 400 with all manner of HKS stuff... OLD SKOOL, back a DOZEN years ago... (I've had the car LONGER than THAT!:naughty: )

Currently running a CT-26 with H3 trim hybrid (T04b), running STOCK:aigo: 440's, with the VPC, EVC, PFC-FCON, FCD, 1.4MHG, ARP's, mild mill, micro-polished cams, AEM Cam Gears, Nology Hotwires w/Beru plugs, HKS FMIC, and a piece of 3" straight-pipe with a few minor kinks hung loosely under my belly from the downpipe straight0thru to the snub end...:icon_conf (until another HKS ex arrives... my 15+ year old original mandrel bent HKS pipe gave up the ghost awhile back!)

p680215_1.jpg

I WAS an ORIGINAL HKS BUILT automatic, with Art Carr converter and all... but a "binding" pig w/4.88:1 Precision Gears "glazed" it right through... and it sits on the garage floor now, over a decade. My "replacement" R154 mates through a DF Centerforce disc, and does a pretty sure job of "hooking up".

(DID I SAY 4.88:1 GEARS???!!! ...you heard right! Not anymore, though! Pretty HARSH with the "backlash" on off-throttle from speed...)

I SWEAR this car ran FASTER thru that killer auto than I'll run with 100 MORE HP through the MANUAL! DAMN "row-boat" shifting!:nono: (I'll get a Nash soon enough!)

I may be a 12 second car now... but I'll feel alot better when my HKS 3.3" Drager pipe, GCCII, HKS 550's, EPROM (for the VPC), KOYO radiator, and other "new additions" finally get here and "dialed-in" for a few weeks...:evil2: ...but I'd say you need some pretty good power and balance to REALLY be any good in "off-the-line" runs with a "street" supra VS some OTHER muscle-bound contender... including your LS1 buddy. (From what you described... you seem to indicate the "potential" to be fast... and the "risk" of either busting your motor or your bubble.) G/L!

my .02

-crisp