supra vs ls1 camaro

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
theres a guy around my town with a camaro making around 400hp at the wheels... what mods would it take on an 88 7mgte to beat him?

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
MassSupra89 said:
Alot.
Bigger turbo (upgraded CT might do it)
550/lexAFM
Walbro
and a full 3" exhaust.

probably want to atleast throw in a AFPR, SAFC and a good tune.. oh and a boost controller..

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Yup, a stock SS will walk all over you in a straight line. If this guys really making 400hp at the wheels you've got some work in store for you.

The power curve of the LS1 really doesn't have a downside. It's got lots of low end torque, and still pulls hard up top.

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
MassSupra89 said:
Alot.
Bigger turbo (upgraded CT might do it)
550/lexAFM
Walbro
and a full 3" exhaust.

i have the motor and tranny out of the car. im putting in a metal head gasket. i have an upgrade ct26 60-1 and a fmic. also i have 264 brian crower upgrade cams ,lex afm, mbc, lightened flywheel and 6 puck clutch. also 3 in turbo back exhaust and intake. what do you think?

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
That's a good start. You're gonna need fuel though. 550cc's, a walbro 255 pump, and AFPR will support you to 500hp as far as fuel is concerned. and an SAFC for tuning the LexAFM and 550's will be a wise choice.

Once you have all the hardware remember a good tune is the most important thing. You could have the component's for 600hp but a bad tune will make your car fall on it's face... or worse destroy something before you even get a taste of the power.

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
MassSupra89 said:
That's a good start. You're gonna need fuel though. 550cc's, a walbro 255 pump, and AFPR will support you to 500hp as far as fuel is concerned. and an SAFC for tuning the LexAFM and 550's will be a wise choice.

Once you have all the hardware remember a good tune is the most important thing. You could have the component's for 600hp but a bad tune will make your car fall on it's face... or worse destroy something before you even get a taste of the power.

yeaa what would be the max boost i can run before i start needing 550's and fuelpump?

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Fuel cut typically comes in around 12-13 psi.
But you'll probably only see about 10psi in lower gears.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
depends how good a driver the guy is. is it an auto or a 6spd? my brother has beaten a local guy with intake, exhaust, hybrid turbo, lower ic pipe, and a tuned ecu (superchips, i shit you not! daughterboard and all) that makes a similiar claim that this guy does. you can have all the whp in the world and if you cant lay down the power or miss shifts it doesnt matter

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
MassSupra89 said:
Fuel cut typically comes in around 12-13 psi.
But you'll probably only see about 10psi in lower gears.

fuel cut usually only happens due to the stock maf though. if i have the lexus one it shouldnt do that i dont think. and also the stock turbo wasnt good formore 14psi and now i have an upgrade turbo good for 35psi.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
You're gonna run the LexAFM without the 550's? and no way to tune?

The Lex will allow around 25% more air past than the stock afm, and 550's will deliver around 25% more fuel. that's why they can make good power, Together. You can run the LexAFM with stock injectors but you're gonna need a way to moniter your a/f's (a Wideband, Which you should do as soon as you start messing with fuel and air) And a way to tune for the AFM.
But you will not see the gains of the AFM without the fuel to accomodate it.

Also an upgraded CT good for 35 psi?? Sorry, you're gonna be blowing hot air way before that. I wouldn't run more than 20psi on any CT-26, especially not with pump gas.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
highway pull or a dig. i was riding in a supra and we raced a c5 (not z06) from 60-120 and only lost by 2.5 cars. the only mod was a downpipe, and we had the targa off with an exhaust leak at the manifold.

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
foreverpsycotic said:
highway pull or a dig. i was riding in a supra and we raced a c5 (not z06) from 60-120 and only lost by 2.5 cars. the only mod was a downpipe, and we had the targa off with an exhaust leak at the manifold.

from like 30mph or 40mph roll

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
s7mgte said:
fuel cut usually only happens due to the stock maf though. if i have the lexus one it shouldnt do that i dont think. and also the stock turbo wasnt good formore 14psi and now i have an upgrade turbo good for 35psi.

After reading that, its clear you need to start doing some research. You can think it all day, but doesnt mean its gonna happen. A bigger AFM doesnt eliminate fuel cut and definitely not an upgraded turbo. Stop worrying about modding your car to beat some guys camaro...

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
AHHAHAAHA!!

Bone stock '01 SS (well, a 3400 stall) on street tires, pulls a consistant 1.8x 60', to the tune of a 12.6 in the 1320.

MAFT-Pro, 550s, 57 trim, 3" turbo-back exhaust (DDP), 16-18psi through a nice fat intercooler, with 2.5" hard pipes, a set of drag radials, and a damn good driver should be able to do it!

Oh yeah, don't forget the MHG + ARPs :D

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Doward said:
AHHAHAAHA!!

Bone stock '01 SS (well, a 3400 stall) on street tires, pulls a consistant 1.8x 60', to the tune of a 12.6 in the 1320.

MAFT-Pro, 550s, 57 trim, 3" turbo-back exhaust (DDP), 16-18psi through a nice fat intercooler, with 2.5" hard pipes, a set of drag radials, and a damn good driver should be able to do it!

Oh yeah, don't forget the MHG + ARPs :D

This man speaks the truth. Sounds like you bit off more than you can chew. You have to work your way up to racing modded LS1's.:)

Obsessionw/Boost

Sep 28, 2006
Albany, NY
Learn about your car first. That Camaro is gonna walk all over you and you wont know what hit you. An upgraded CT is not good for anywhere near 35psi. Even if it was, I hope you dont plan on running 35 pounds of boost with your stock pistons.
Your fuel delivery and tune is most important. You dont need massive amounts of boost, 16 pounds is good. You need 550cc injectors, A Lexus AFM [or HKS VPC], a SAFC to tune [VPC is only good upto 2000RPM], and a Walbro 255lph Fuel pump. They all work hand in hand.

Don't be afraid to lose. Anyone can throw money at a Supra and buy top brand parts. If you dont know how they work; why use them?

s7mgte

Apr 16, 2007
ny
Obsessionw/Boost said:
Learn about your car first. That Camaro is gonna walk all over you and you wont know what hit you. An upgraded CT is not good for anywhere near 35psi. Even if it was, I hope you dont plan on running 35 pounds of boost with your stock pistons.
Your fuel delivery and tune is most important. You dont need massive amounts of boost, 16 pounds is good. You need 550cc injectors, A Lexus AFM [or HKS VPC], a SAFC to tune [VPC is only good upto 2000RPM], and a Walbro 255lph Fuel pump. They all work hand in hand.

Don't be afraid to lose. Anyone can throw money at a Supra and buy top brand parts. If you dont know how they work; why use them?

i know how it all works..i just was wondering what i needed plus i got an 02 R1 that will smoke anyone who wants it... im getting injectors and sutff soon.. and its not a regualar rebuilt ct26.,.. its a t04 60-1 and rated for 600rwhp and 35 psi.. but i dont plan on running more than 18psi max on stock internals..

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Yeah..learn about your car first. You do want to race half prepared or not prepared.

When you prepped and tuned your car nicely, go kick his ass. But for now
do some research and learn what it takes to make a fast supra...
Delayed Gratification.

Go hard or go home.

Cheers,
Roy