Supra to NA options?

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
Hey guys,

Looks like my excellent taste in cars has worn off on my lil sis and she's chasing a supra of her own. Problem is that the laws in our state dictate that she can only have an NA car (no v8s or turbos), so here in lies the problem. Most of the supras available are turbo powered.

I've come up with a couple of options:
MA70t, rip off the turbo put NA mani on.
2JZGE swap.

I'd love to hear some opinions on each option :) how well will the 7mgte respond to being NA? run like shit or will it be ok? Obviously the lower compression will mean its a bit slower then a true GE, but will it still function well?

2JZGE, first thought was finding a JZA70 (1JZ) and swapping over the 1J for a 2J. IIRC the sensors are very similar, but will that work? will a 1jz ecu run a 2jzge? I'm assuming its not that simple. If going from a 7M, I'll need JZA70 engine mounts plus the usual front cut trims and bs that a jz convertion will need, but is there anything else? Will the tacho match up? I think I remember hearing the 2J uses a digital signal while the A70 has a analog one? would using a jza70 loom solve some of these probs?

Sorry if this has ever been covered, I am doing searches as we speak but I can't imagine anyone actually doing an NA swap before! :p

Thanx in advance!

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
smiley&

The horsepower of the 2JZ-GE is about the same as a stock turbo 7M-GTE, except it's lacking a little big of torque.

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
I have to ask... Exactly what state again, created, much less enforces a law where a woman can't own a V8 or a Turbo? Unless i misunderstood something?

Zer0

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Zer0DeGreeZ;1363633 said:
I have to ask... Exactly what state again, created, much less enforces a law where a woman can't own a V8 or a Turbo? Unless i misunderstood something?

Zer0

You fail. His location is listed under the username on the sidebar.

<---

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
Yup the 2J was always the better option, but it really comes down to how much she can get a decent A70 for and then how much extra the convertion will end up costing :p

IJ; are you saying that you could hook up the 7mgte (Or GE) electrics to the 2JZGE? Would I be splicing looms (2J sensors 7m loom/ecu) or using the 7M sensors in the 2JZ? Cos if its as easy as the last it seams like a pretty good convo!

PS thanx for the opinions guys, but I'm also hoping for some more tech advice as well as in what would be needed one V other if you knwo what I mean... haven't had enough time to research fully yet. Sorry for being lazy ;)

EDIT: Yup the Victorian P plate laws are pretty harsh, it does have two up sides that, idiot kids are less likely to have enough power to injur themself or someone else AND (more importantly) Turbo and V8 cars will get cheaper and get written off less! ;)

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
Ah excellent! that makes life that much easier. Does it matter if its a 7mgte or 7mge loom /ecu?

Do you know many of the particulars of which sensors need mods etc? If you don't mind, if/when it happens I might harrass you over the phone as I go through the motions if that is ok by you? Happy to pay in booze ;)

Will the 7M's ecu (auto specific one) be fine to run the Auto from a (most likely) an A80 auto trans? I know that toyota reuses most of its transmissions but I'll be stuffed if I know the models. I'm more of a manual guy :p Also is the auto out of a turbo or NA A70 a slip or doughnut yoke?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
GTE or GE shouldn't matter much as it will just see the engine as a GTE that never comes on boost if you use the former.

Sorry no idea but you'll probably find it's a case of unscrew the GTE sensors and screw them onto the 2J, Injectors are a drop in as far as I know.

I don't drink so booze isn't going to work ;)

Trans depends on how late a motor you get but al alternative would be to use the MA70 340 and the 2J bellhousing then it's pretty well plugNplay after you connect the line pressure cable (some of the late stuff is full electronic)

ReQuieM

malicious.com.au
What no booze?? Hows about a big hug! :D

Cool, thanks for the info mate. I think its probably a wait and see game atm as to what my sis chooses to do (IE buy a series one non aero NA or a series2 turbo). I'll keep the thread posted on what happens etc.

OH and anyone with extra info would be well appreciated :) I've found out that the 2JZGE is a somewhat popular swap for the MX83 cressie so that should hopefully yeild some more info.