Supra Randomly Lost Power and Shut Off After Being Driven Hard

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
Howdy Folks,

Just a bit of a story before I explain my issue.

I was cruising on my way home from work, listening to the "Puff the Magic Dragon" theme-song (don't ask me why it's on my playlist), and I came to a red light behind this shiny black pickup truck.

Said truck was so shiny, I could actually see the front of my car in the reflection; and then it occurred to me... I've never seen my headlights pop up from that perspective before. So I flicked my lights in-and-out. No big deal. The light turned green and I was slowly cruising by this pickup, when he honked three times at me (not angrily... more like, "Beep. Beep. BEEP!") and then he FLOORED it.

I didn't know what to do. I'm no racer or anything like that.

So I floored it as well. I go sailing passed him up a hill, with my turbo singing that sweet song, doing a slight left curve, and stop pretty quickly at the other red light down said road. I stopped very quickly, but not quick enough to squeak the tires OR activate the ABS.

However, on the four way, my Supra up and DIED. Like, all of my little icons on my instrument cluster lit up and I completely "lost power" and my motor died. So I slipped it into neutral, turned her back over and went on my marry way.

But why did my car do this?

Thanks for your time,
Suitcase

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Suitcase Jefferson;1942431 said:
I don't think so? I haven't done any modifications to the car, apart from regular upkeep and maintenance.

well if your bov isn't recirculated that's probably why you stalled out after boost
it's not a mod it's supposed to be recirculated unless you have a somesort of mass air flow translator like a MAFT pro

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I had the same problem with my car several years ago. I t would die during a panic stop situation. Found the dashpot on throttle body was not working correctly. Tried adjusting the dash pot. This did not work. Had to get new one from the dealer. The dashpot is on there to slow the throttle closing the last little bit before it rest on throttle stop.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
yeah stock is back into the accordian hose. I agree to look into the dashpot thing. It sounds like you went from wide open to dead stop rather fast and it confused the heck out something. If you can't find the problem then check your iPod. Your car probably wanted you to change the song that you were listening to.....puff the magic dragon? really? The only thing that would make me not lmao at you is if you have kids..... I have 2 girls so I have veggie tales songs on mine.

Sorry back on the subject. My first supra was an auto as well, but mine wasn't recirculated (bov) and I never had any problems. Completely stock, no mods at all on it, and I beat the ever loving sh*t out of that thing.... Never once did it stall out like you are describing. And there are tons of hills in Germany.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
91Supra313;1942530 said:
yeah stock is back into the accordian hose. I agree to look into the dashpot thing. It sounds like you went from wide open to dead stop rather fast and it confused the heck out something. If you can't find the problem then check your iPod. Your car probably wanted you to change the song that you were listening to.....puff the magic dragon? really? The only thing that would make me not lmao at you is if you have kids..... I have 2 girls so I have veggie tales songs on mine.

this made me lol

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
Well, as I said, it's completely stock, so the BOV shouldn't be recirculated..?

I haven't touched a thing mechanically on the car (yet), so that shouldn't be the problem, I'm assuming.

How would I change the dashpot on the throttle body, and what is that, exactly? What purpose does it serve?

But the way which was described earlier in this post was very correct -- it was very much a "panic stop" situation, and then my car just sort of... stalled out, as described.

Should I take it to a dealer? Is it that big of a deal if it only shuts off in this circumstance?

Thanks for your time,
Suitcase

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Suitcase Jefferson;1942709 said:
Well, as I said, it's completely stock, so the BOV shouldn't be recirculated..?

I haven't touched a thing mechanically on the car (yet), so that shouldn't be the problem, I'm assuming.

How would I change the dashpot on the throttle body, and what is that, exactly? What purpose does it serve?

But the way which was described earlier in this post was very correct -- it was very much a "panic stop" situation, and then my car just sort of... stalled out, as described.

Should I take it to a dealer? Is it that big of a deal if it only shuts off in this circumstance?

Thanks for your time,
Suitcase

well the bov comes from the factory recirculated so it probably is. even though you haven't touched anything Mach icay has anyone else or the previous owner