Supra Randomly Lost Power and Shut Off After Being Driven Hard

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
Nope.

The previous owner bought the car for his wife back in '89. She apparently got in to a BAD car accident (**in another vehicle**) and was afraid to drive her Supra.

So the car sat for over a decade, and a few years back (around 2008), the previous owner, the husband, got it back up and running again. (Not that any major maintenance needed to be done. He had the exhaust system and head gasket replaced at the dealership.)

So I bought it in 2010, and two years later (last summer), the head gasket blew on me again. So I made sure that when I had it replaced, it was torqued properly.

So that's the story thus far.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
The dashpot is on the throttle body to keep the car from wanting to die as the throttle plate closes. It is on the firewall side of throlle body. You can see if you open throttle by hand. The throttle lever has a adjustment screw that is for the dashpot. Don't adjust it. The dashpot is bad and sticking. Google " why have a dashpot on a throlle body" You find pleny of info and see that it the most likely answer to your problem. Good luck.