Supra mk3 electric cooling fan

supramk3turbo

Dec 3, 2008
Norway
Hi there. I have a supra mk3 with 2jz-gte. Last summer i had overheating issues very often, and will now uppgrade my cooling system. I have ordered a Fluidyne radiator, and are now looking for some fans that will cool my engine properly. Any advice what fans i should use. Not flexalite. Need to give moore than 3000cfm. And they need to be slim.

Thomas

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
The easiest thing to do would be to go to a junkyard and find some e-fans that work. Not sure what more to say about it. I think thats what I have (previous owner did it) but mine say Aisin on them, so they are OEM Toyota ones.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Soooooo............................you're looking for better cooling, you know that the stock fan & clutch setup will outflow electric fans; but you're installing electric fans anyway? :nono:

supramk3turbo

Dec 3, 2008
Norway
Jepp, the thing is that with Aftermarked radiator i dont have room for the clutsj fan, the 2jz build a little further forward, so i have to go with thin electronic fans. I have found AAP dual fans with shroud, these gives 3300 cfm, could work. Or i can go with zirgo 16" single fan, also with shroud. That will give 3630 cfm. Thinking of going with the zirgo singel:icon_bigg

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...M%2D381101&N=700+-125622+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...part=HFM-ZFU16S&N=700+320174+115&autoview=sku

Anyone tried this??

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Plenty of room for the stock fan, seen it done many times...

The Zirgo won't flow enough air, like already mentioned get some OEM fans as they're designed to go 100K miles or more. This is if you're still insisting on running electric fans...

Keep in mind this subject has been beaten to death, a quick search will prove this.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supramk3turbo;1242181 said:
Jepp, the thing is that with Aftermarked radiator i dont have room for the clutsj fan, the 2jz build a little further forward, so i have to go with thin electronic fans. I have found AAP dual fans with shroud, these gives 3300 cfm, could work. Or i can go with zirgo 16" single fan, also with shroud. That will give 3630 cfm. Thinking of going with the zirgo singel:icon_bigg

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...art=SUM-381101&N=700+-125622+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...part=HFM-ZFU16S&N=700+320174+115&autoview=sku

Anyone tried this??

ELECTRIC...... :nono:

supramk3turbo

Dec 3, 2008
Norway
He he, sorry for my bad english, I speak an write like we call norwegianenglish:icon_bigg

Why dont you think the Zirgo will flow enough??

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
200+ HP engine moving fan or a small motor?

I have nothing against electric fans, but i have everything against CHEAP, low quality, aftermarket fans that have the MTBF worse than a Yugo.

They're not an upgrade in any way, shape, or form and the only advantage is if the car isn't moving (still not a huge advantage as the stock fan, clutch, and shroud are fantastic) or if you have an electric waterpump and run the fans and the pump after the car is turned off...

Doing it right is like doing headlights right, it's not going to be cheap, and if you do cheap out something bad will happen eventually.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
we need to find a clutch fan that will work nice with an aftermarket(thicker)radiator,when running a 2jz.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I've been thinking of ways to get the fan set back a bit, wouldn't be too hard to mount it on the clutch differently if you machined some stuff... I'd have to look though...

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
SideWinderGX;1242880 said:
My electric fan works perfectly fine, everyone needs to stop turning a blind eye to them.

Electric superchargers and electric fans are vastly different, try to keep it apples to apples.

There's a distinct possibility that we may actually have a reason for our position around here. It's not like some of us haven't owned, driven and modified these cars since before you were born.

I'll tell you flat out, while your electrics may provide marginal cooling up there in Syracuse for street use, they aren't up to spec. Go spend a day over at Watkins Glen, you'll learn how weak your cooling system is. You'll find yourself spending about 1/2 of your precious track time on pit road waiting for your temp gauge to come down.

If you want real cooling, that is up to the task under any driving conditions, you're going to have to run mechanical fans. I have yet to find one electric fan that is up to the task of cooling a Supra for anything other than grocery getter use.

Have I run and installed electric fans? Yes. Do they do the job? Sometimes. But once you start seriously pushing the car, you're going to find that your cooling is seriously lacking. I will never run electric fans on anything but a dedicated drag car ever again.

My road course car? Good old 100% mechanical Toyota fans. And I can run session after session at Road Atlanta, without breaks in the middle of August when it's 100 out and I have zero heat problems. The cars around me with electrics? Nope, they are in the pits dealing with a heat soaked motor.

The entire point of modifying a car is to make things better. Electric fans are not superior to the stock setup in any way, except for the cosmetics. When you start trading function for looks, you're fucking up in my book.

Just my (educated) $.02, your mileage may vary. Take it for what it is worth.

I posted just about the same thing two years ago:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=231673#post231673

You should probably read that two year thread over, it beats this issue to death and nothing has changed in electric fan tech over the last couple of years.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Supracentral;1243079 said:
There's a distinct possibility that we may actually have a reason for our position around here. It's not like some of us haven't owned, driven and modified these cars since before you were born.

I'll tell you flat out, while your electrics may provide marginal cooling up there in Syracuse for street use, they aren't up to spec. Go spend a day over at Watkins Glen, you'll learn how weak your cooling system is. You'll find yourself spending about 1/2 of your precious track time on pit road waiting for your temp gauge to come down.

If you want real cooling, that is up to the task under any driving conditions, you're going to have to run mechanical fans. I have yet to find one electric fan that is up to the task of cooling a Supra for anything other than grocery getter use.

Have I run and installed electric fans? Yes. Do they do the job? Sometimes. But once you start seriously pushing the car, you're going to find that your cooling is seriously lacking. I will never run electric fans on anything but a dedicated drag car ever again.

My road course car? Good old 100% mechanical Toyota fans. And I can run session after session at Road Atlanta, without breaks in the middle of August when it's 100 out and I have zero heat problems. The cars around me with electrics? Nope, they are in the pits dealing with a heat soaked motor.

The entire point of modifying a car is to make things better. Electric fans are not superior to the stock setup in any way, except for the cosmetics. When you start trading function for looks, you're fucking up in my book.

Just my (educated) $.02, your mileage may vary. Take it for what it is worth.

I posted just about the same thing two years ago:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=231673#post231673

You should probably read that two year thread over, it beats this issue to death and nothing has changed in electric fan tech over the last couple of years.

While other people may have problems with their setups, I do not. I'll take your word on people having problems with their cars on road course events though...I have no experience with that, nor do I know anyone personally that races with electric fans.

Syracuse, in the summer, has 95+ weather in the shade, and below 0 weather with the windchill in January. It sucks either way. But I can tell you from personal experience (bad ground on my part) that if I am cruising anywhere from 30-65 mph with just my Fluidyne radiator and no electric fans, it takes almost 20 minutes to notice any deflection of the thermostat. When it does start moving, it goes very slowly.

When the fans come back on, I can romp on it all day, and I have just to make sure that it would hold up to the beating. Few runs on the highway, stop and go traffic, both of which I was very harsh on the car and was done on a 98 degree day. Thermostat didn't move at all.

I want to know, in CONCRETE numbers, has anyone ever measured the cfm's the stock mechanical fan moves? All I have ever heard is hearsay. The thread you linked to I have read, but there's still no numbers in it.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
I'm coming from Honda road racing so all this mechanical fan stuff is new to me.
But heat was an issue on hot track days for my turbo G23 accord. First time I ran a lap day at 80F the water temp was over 230 the first lap. I tried redlines water wetter and 100% water and it helped but still I was in the Pitts with a box fan propping my hood in no time.

I looked around and found derale and a dual fan set pulling 4000 cfm. This fixed my cooling woes but added other problems. When the fan set came on and I was under WOT the drawl on the charging system made the ignition system fail. If the fans where all ready on and I hit wot I was fine, just when the timing was right did this happen. But it was no fun dumping unburnt gas out the tail pipe then backfiring like crazy with my CEL flashing death and my hondata screen rebooting from lose of power.
I would then have to finger though windows xp to open my logger/dash wile on the track. I did come out with a workaround requiring a big audio capacitor.

If I could have used a oem mechanical fan and bypassed all that mess I would have. So I'm planing on keeping my mechanical fan unless it goes bad then I might swap in my salvaged honda set up.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Hard to argue with the mechanical fan discussion; especially since semis still use giant mechanical fans, and engineers for semis know a bit more than the average MkIII modder.

Nonetheless, I really like my slimmer, quieter e-fans. I havent taken it to extreme situations where it hits the edge of the cooling limits. I think my fans might pull more air at idle, but anything more and I wouldnt doubt the factory mech. fan flows more air.

The way I see it, my car is in a bracket where its better than stock but not up to track spec, which is a good area to use e-fans. Also, you move the load from directly off the engine to the battery/electric system, which is still dependent on the engine, but IMO preferable.