Supra + Faye = Love. My first build thread. (beware, picture heavy...)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Suprapowaz!(2);2038567 said:
Which pistons are you going with?

I got some Probe pistons from Driftmotion: http://www.driftmotion.com/Probe-7MGTE-Pistons-5mm-p/dm86.htm Had to get new ones due to how worn my block is, so figured may as well get some fancy ones:) Talked to a couple people who are running them with great results and 100s more hp than I will ever want. Only thing is I went over them and smoothed down the edges, they are known to have burrs and can score the cylinder walls, which gave them a bad reputation. Couldn't beat the price either.....

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
For your amusement... here's a selfie from the moment before I hooked up the engine hoist. (hearts added by some lame app on my phone) Behind me is my toolbox and workbench and bolt bins.... at work, where I spend 60 hours a week. It's kind of nice to be there on the weekends when no one else is there and I can blast my music and have all my stuff right there.... I really do have it made for the type of hobbies I have.

p2038883_1.jpg

Here is what arrived at work yesterday:

p2038883_2.jpg

Genuine Aisin oil pump (What Toyota just re-boxes and sells for double what I paid) this cost me less than $200. I would be an idiot not to replace it now while everything is apart.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
when you mentioned the vin tatoo it made me think of a new type of hollocaust survivor... but with supras as the nazis throwing their owners in concentration camps...
Thumbs up for kicking ass and fixing your baby.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Interesting build. Youre using the same pistons I used. Do you plan on changing the oil supply line? I went with the ARZ hardline, hands down the nicest piece on the engine imo.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
JDMMA70;2039029 said:
Interesting build. Youre using the same pistons I used. Do you plan on changing the oil supply line? I went with the ARZ hardline, hands down the nicest piece on the engine imo.

Are you referring to this? http://www.arizonaperformance.com/7M_OPS_page.html
What's the advantage? I have seen it before, but haven't considered it. Share your insight, please! And how much HP are you running? How do you like the pistons? Did you clean yours up at all??

And thanks for the encouragement you guys! Yeah, the Supra is definitely a lifelong commitment. I only put significant ink on my body, and my car has definitely changed my life.

So today was pretty productive. My boyfriend came down for the weekend and spent several hours helping me sand down my engine bay for the final coat of SnowWhite in the engine bay. Then a sparkle layer next, then some clear coat. I am pretty stoked with how this is looking!

SnowWhite and 8G2 is a good combo, imo.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Faye;2039125 said:
Are you referring to this? http://www.arizonaperformance.com/7M_OPS_page.html
What's the advantage? I have seen it before, but haven't considered it. Share your insight, please! And how much HP are you running? How do you like the pistons? Did you clean yours up at all??

Yes thats the one I have in my engine currently. As far as I know, there is no real advantage. IJ had no issues running the stock line on his builds. I only bought it because I didn't have a stock line laying around, and I didn't trust the soft lines. Plus it makes me feel better.

As far as the pistons go, they are running fine with 10K miles on the rebuild so far. Currently the car is producing 266hp, as my fuel upgrades on sitting on the shelf. Im hoping to hit the mid 400's with my setup. I did not clean them up, my machinist did. He didnt completely remove the ridges, he just knocked the sharp edges down.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Iimage.jpg

Testing here.... Uploaded a picture from my phone. Stopped by the Toyota dealer (that I used to work at and still get emouee rate at) today. Picked up a replacement reverse gear operating sleeve and syncros. Not sure entirely but from what it looks like to me this also engages first. As I had
Mentioned before, I lost first gear in my transmission and am not exactly sure why I'm just throwing parts at it and hoping for the best.... I'm totally not a transmission tech, just my afraid to try... also replacing 1st gear shift fork and thrust washer, etc. Still have no clue where the tiniest detent balls go....

I agree with the "replace it while it's apart" mindset. I'll look into the hardline. For some reason I thought I had one already....

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
JDMMA70;2039319 said:
Yes thats the one I have in my engine currently. As far as I know, there is no real advantage. IJ had no issues running the stock line on his builds. I only bought it because I didn't have a stock line laying around, and I didn't trust the soft lines. Plus it makes me feel better.

As far as the pistons go, they are running fine with 10K miles on the rebuild so far. Currently the car is producing 266hp, as my fuel upgrades on sitting on the shelf. Im hoping to hit the mid 400's with my setup. I did not clean them up, my machinist did. He didnt completely remove the ridges, he just knocked the sharp edges down.

...but isn't that stock??

Or, am I thinking of the wrong line??

Pardon the picture, this is the only one I have from the teardown that has the pump and oil line still installed... my engine was nasty.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
You're looking at the right one, but the difference between that stock piece and the arizonaperformance one is subtle -- on the pump side the OEM piece uses a banjo bolt instead of the 90 degree fitting.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
miekedmr;2039567 said:
You're looking at the right one, but the difference between that stock piece and the arizonaperformance one is subtle -- on the pump side the OEM piece uses a banjo bolt instead of the 90 degree fitting.

What's wrong with the Banjo bolt?? From my experience (not much) they are not prone to failure?? I have replaced/rebuilt several power steering lines in Toyotas and the banjo fitting has never been an issue... I steer clear of anything braided from bad experience ....

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
A banjo fitting is a choke point but the stock line flows great no need to replace, and the softlines they sell aren't made for the heat and oil most are rubber and prone to failure

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Bogwon;2039568 said:
You're not working at Toyota anymore!?

No, I work at an independent shop now called Atomic Auto. I work on everything but still about 50% newer Toyota since that's my specialty:) basically got a pay raise and a promotion and closer to my house, plus not flat rate anymore, and I left Toyota on such good terms I can still buy parts at employee cost:)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
jdmfreak;2039749 said:
A banjo fitting is a choke point but the stock line flows great no need to replace, and the softlines they sell aren't made for the heat and oil most are rubber and prone to failure

Right, thank you Shawn. That's what I thought also:)