Supra + Faye = Love. My first build thread. (beware, picture heavy...)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
maxburn;1990290 said:
Congrats on your car being straight again! I bet a burden is lifted now that you can finally get to things more in your control I know it would be for me.

ABSOLUTELY!! I like to be in control :) teehee. I thought I would be driving her home Thurs night, but there are still a few more things that I need from my parts car. Man, she is close to looking like a Supra again!!

Thought I'd share some awesome photos just to give you an idea of how intense this crash was!!

Here's the frame, and those posts indicate where the frame should be.... the pass side where I hit was 4.5" out.... any body guys out there know that this would be considered total loss to an ins company, and most places wouldn't touch it.

p1990830_1.jpg

p1990830_2.jpg

So now I am just trying to get everything to line up alright, which is quite a struggle. Metal doesn't always bend the way that you want it to..... I will make a more detailed post here in a few when I have a bit more time. Thought you'd all enjoy seeing this though!!

Currently I'm trying to decide whether to actually weld a plate in. Looking at it, there would be a 50/50 that if this happened again that it would bend either before or after the plate.... and after would mean behind the shock tower, which would mean that she is doomed. Of course, I am not planning on ever being in this situation again............

Attachments

• DSCN0915.jpg
    DSCN0915.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 44

maxburn

Jan 12, 2014
Iowa
4.5 inches out? WOW that was a quite a hit! Looking at the pictures I wouldn't have thought the frame was wrecked that much. Looking forward to seeing your car back together!

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I wouldn't if i could avoid it too. But i'm going to give you so much props for actually even thinking of trying. I'd go for a different shell already :( but that's just me.

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
upusamy2.jpg

yja5ebyh.jpg

She's coming along just fine :) finding the free time to work on her was the biggest challenge this month...

Finally paid my straightening bill and towed my Supra home... Well, to Shawn's house which is home enough...:) at least can work on her after work and Sundays. Not much left to do to get her driving ... Mount the intercooler and front lights is all but still a lot of body work left. Hoping to make next Saturdays cruise!!!!!:D

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
SeeUSmile;1995787 said:
Out of curiosity what is a typical range for straightening the shell? One of the few I have had quite a crash history on the front side of the car and may consider getting it done later on in the future.

I was denied by 3 places because of how bad it was. Mine was out 4.5" on pass front side!! That's unheard of but it went well and she drives pretty straight haha just need to get another alignment and put some good wheels back on!!!:)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
1986.5supra_kid;1995839 said:
And has diesel motor tat :D

Awesome build Faye! Sweet Rabbit too. Im suprised you didnt go with a AHU,ALH in the VW. or in the zuki.

The aba was under $200 ..... And people want wayyyy more than those tdi's are worth nowadays......

2y3ery4y.jpg

And cause you said rabbit.... There's a pic of my babies together!!!! First time ever both running at the same time!!!!!! :)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
1986.5supra_kid;1996190 said:
mk3 jettas and passats are cheap now aday. :)

Oh snap its a 4dr too :D we have a 1.6diesel just like it but stock lol.

Yessir she is :) stiffer body that way so I've read...

She is a 1980 so came with dreaded 1.5l ..... 40hp @ the crank...:-/