Stu's Blue Supra

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Hey everyone just decided to make a build thread about my car. Its a 1988 Auto Turbo Hard Top. I found this car on craigslist around November of 2008. The owner did not know much about the car except that it had some performance "goodies" and he named most of them off, but he didnt know what they did or how they worked. He also named things like ground pistons which I had no Idea what he was talking about and when I fixed the headgasket 5 months later, they were factory pistons.::shrug::

The car was very dirty because it was in sedona (redrock/dust) arizona. He had told me that there was a rat living in the car at one point of time LOL. I checked wiring pretty closely to see any chewed off wires and I could not find any. It had a check engine light but was running well. I ended up purchasing the car for $2500.

Anyway some things that are done to the car... It has an upgraded turbo (looks like a 60-1) It had HKS 3000 pipe with hardpipes and intercooler, HKS PFC-Fcon, HKS VPC, HKS EGT with 46mm gauge, HKS Turbo Timer(not sure which one, seems like an older one),HKS Tems controller, Tokico Illumina II's, and a greddy profec-A. Im not sure what exhaust system it has but it might aswell be a old HKS system, It looks somewhat factory but its got 3 mufflers/resignators and they are all straight through, and I beleive the piping is larger. Since I bought the car I put a 3 inch divoriced downpipe and a 2mm Cometic headgasket on it.

I'll start posting pictures away, and I'll try to keep them in order.

Bare with me some of the pics are from my camera phone.

Heres some older pics of when I got the car home.

newsupra1.jpg

image001qvd.jpg

image004zek.jpg

image002dbb.jpg

image007waq.jpg

greddy profec
image005bum.jpg

image009y.jpg

image010hfv.jpg

It had a few issues like the VPC Intake temp sensor was chewed off
iatl.jpg

Shortly after I had all the little things fixed on the car I decided to clean up the car and go on a cruise to jerome (mountains) The car overheated due to a hole in the radiator.
overheat1.jpg

interior2w.jpg

glovebox1.jpg

And of course we all know what overheating can mean. :cry:
bhggasket1.jpg

Random teardown pictures
engine4.jpg

engine3ucc.jpg

head1t.jpg

turbo1d.jpg

img0040b.jpg

Last edited:

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
image012gxs.jpg

Rats left a nest on top of the lower intake, and also cut my rear knock sensor wire.
lolrats.jpg

knocksens1.jpg

I decided that I was going to put a Cometic 2mm MHG in the car. I also installed a aluminum radiator at the same time.
Random buildup Pictures
img0074z.jpg

engine6.jpg

enginebays.jpg

image014.jpg

I decided to put a 3inch divoriced downpipe on. (the recirculated one)
choice1.jpg

Also a Lotek 2 gauge pillar pod with Prosport blue/white oil pressure and boost gauges
gauges1s.jpg

Here is what the Engine bay looks like as of now 6/5/09
engineaft2.jpg

I have a synapse BOV on order right now, because I am getting alot of surge when I get off the throttle. There will be more exterior photos to come shortly, I need to find my regular camera.

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
Looks good! I dont remember this car at the Jerome meet for some reason, I didnt stay long though.

Car looks good though, I like where its headed

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
mk3design;1358761 said:
Looks good! I dont remember this car at the Jerome meet for some reason, I didnt stay long though.

Car looks good though, I like where its headed

Thanks man! Could have been a different Jerome meet. This was with azsupracentral.com.
-Stu

Last edited:

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Finally got around to taking some exterior shots. Dont mind the molding that is peeling off and looks chrome underneath:3d_frown:
img0329eib.jpg

img0328sdi.jpg

img0314fce.jpg

img0319i.jpg

img0321cdu.jpg

img0326uok.jpg

img0327llz.jpg

Oh and the engine bay after synapse engineering BOV
img0340i.jpg

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Zerocool;1387234 said:
Stu! You need some exterior work bro :)
Yah lol, I might keep it stock looking for a little bit. But when I have extra money I'll start changing the exterior.
gtsfirefighter;1387238 said:
Car looks good! How's it running post BHG repair?
Seems to be running great, Pulls really hard. I would like to get it tuned. It hasnt been detnating or anything but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I wonder who can tune these old F-Con's?

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Nice car. What kind of radiator is that? It looks exactly like the one I have haha.

I'm just curious, why did you decide to put the recirculated DDP instead of the other?

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Supra28;1387879 said:
Nice car. What kind of radiator is that? It looks exactly like the one I have haha.

I'm just curious, why did you decide to put the recirculated DDP instead of the other?

The radiator is cheap, I forgot what brand name it is, And for some reason I think I got it off either 935motorsports or ebay. It works, I just had to isolate it from the frame with some bushings, and the fan shroud doesnt quite fit because it hits the fan slightly (due to the radiator being so thick)

I went with the Recirculated DDP because the car's exhaust is somewhat quiet and I wanted to keep it that way. If this car was a 5speed car I probably would have opted for a different catback and a Open DDP.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Bought some new wheels/tires and springs
Tokico Illumina II's with H&R springs
Fr500 Wheels 17x9's with 245/40s on front and 255/40s on rear
img0366oe.jpg

img0367xf.jpg

img0368a.jpg

img0370l.jpg

img0373ww.jpg

img0374z.jpg

img0378e.jpg

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Wow! Amazing what some nice wheels and a lowered supension does to a car. All you need is a lip and some tint! Your car is pretty much what I want my car to be when i'm done. With maybe a nicer looking exhaust. :cool:

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Zerocool;1432848 said:
Stu, that car looks great! Now its time to get a nice front lip for her or at least a stock one ;).
Ya, Definately going to work on getting a factory lip on there.
Supra28;1432873 said:
Damn, car looks good!

Oh and stock lip FTW!

gtsfirefighter;1432980 said:
Looks VERY good!

SrBigbutt;1433094 said:
Wow! Amazing what some nice wheels and a lowered supension does to a car. All you need is a lip and some tint! Your car is pretty much what I want my car to be when i'm done. With maybe a nicer looking exhaust. :cool:
Ty for the comments, The exhaust isnt that great looking or sounding really. Eventually I'll probably change it out, but its pretty free flowing and works well enough.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I forgot to update alot of stuff so heres a large update.
So around december 2009 I was starting to get a little rought idle. Didnt seem like anything real major, but It was noticeable. Car still pulled pretty hard. I decided to do a compression test on it, and It turned out they were all fairly low but number one was like 75psi. Did some other tests and found out it was either rings or ringlands.

So I decided its time to rebuild and started pulling the motor. Im not going to go forged or anything just stock replacement oversized pistons and toyota select fit bearings. I also got the block decked and bored/honed. I made sure everything was in specs with dial bore gauges and mic's.

Here are some random build up pictures.

img0381rn.jpg

img0387ki.jpg

img0382p.jpg

image1cx.jpg

All my bearings actually looked really good, the pistons however were getting hot, and The rings were like stuck pretty good inside some of them, Im guessing thats how this ringland cracked, which is what caused my 75 psi in #1.

image10ri.jpg

image8ll.jpg

image9vr.jpg

Got the motor back from machine shop and decided to paint it a cast iron color/gunmetal

image62v.jpg

image12ot.jpg

image17wn.jpg

More parts that I have cleaned/ Painted

image22lm.jpg

image82f.jpg

intake5.jpg

vc4.jpg

manifold2.jpg

Shimmed accumulators on transmission and cleaned it a little bit...
Before
img0398au.jpg

After
img0400cj.jpg

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Mods let me know If I need to resize all these pictures lol, They will prob lag alot on slower comps.

img0463p.jpg

img0513g.jpg

Yes I moved that knock sensor back the the correct spot haha
img0516i.jpg

img0520tm.jpg

img0526o.jpg

New 550's
img0541lw.jpg

img0552u.jpg

img0550dq.jpg

Got alot of other stuff to put in still but this is it for now. Waiting on new cam shims.

I decided to upgrade the fuel system with afpr 550's and a walbro pump. I swapped out my hks vpc chip for the 550 chip, and also added a HKS GCC (got for 40 bux) for a little more fine tuning. Still not as good as the newer stuff on the market today, but It will get the job done. I have a wideband to monitor all my a/f ratio's. Unfortunately all this stuff makes for a birds nest behind the glove box.

image009pd.jpg

Getting rid of the stock inj ROM

image10bd.jpg

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
More updates, Put the motor in. Special thanks to cyrus for the help. Also thanks to all the people that helped me out with parts. I appreciate it.

30910002.jpg

30910004.jpg

30910006.jpg

30910009.jpg

30910012.jpg

picture009qx.jpg

picture003tt.jpg

picture008zs.jpg

waiting on new plug wires, and then it should fire right up hopefully :)