stupid drive shaft. whats better steal or alumn

Orangeracer

SUPRA LOVER
Sep 12, 2008
Harford County, MD
so my 87 supra 5 speed targa needs a new bearing. whats my best option. i was thinking steal one peace. i think that a one peace aluminum may not be as strong. what have you guys have good luck with?

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Aluminum should be strong enough. It will be lighter than steel as well which is good for many reasons. a 3.5" diameter aluminum with standard wall thickness (1/8"ish?) should be plenty. It's good enough for 750hp+ 509CID past 170mph, 3000lb cars.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Can't recall who makes the carbon fiber shafts. From what I do recall, they cost about $800.00USD. Aluminum is $400.00 or less if you go to the right place. Obviously carbon fiber is the best choice on the market when it comes to racing.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
i might be wrong but i dont you can fit a driveshaft larger than 3". thats what i was told when i asked a company to make a 3.5"

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
1 piece steel driveshaft arents that heavy, i remember checkin a website that said the steel one was around 15-20 lbs and alum somewhere around 11lbs.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
And being 3" diameter the PMoI is so low the extra weight would barely be noticable..... come on guys you're not racing class cars where 1hp will make a difference quit being weight weenies. :nono:

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
RockPaperSwoRD;1134801 said:
1 piece steel driveshaft arents that heavy, i remember checkin a website that said the steel one was around 15-20 lbs and alum somewhere around 11lbs.

Yeah, exactly. 5 pounds counts alot when you multiply it by the rear-end ratio. Especially when it's a drivetrain inertia value. I doubt you save much money with a 1-piece aluminum shaft vs. a steel shaft. The steel shaft will likely weigh a little more.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
the steel one is still lighter than stock so either way your loosing weight, but the steel one is stronger.
wat are your power goals?
i thought a couple people on here broke the alum ones

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
I have a steel one pice and its about 17lbs, I'm more than happy with it. It only cost me $350 to get done.

I have herd that Aluminum is good as it can take some shock out of the drove train. Aluminum has an ability to twist a bit (Im not an engineer and have only herd this in some drag race cercles).

Jeremy

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
I went back to my 2 piece I had a nasty vibration turned out to be a twisted AL 1 peice drive shaft my guess is from drag racing even though I only had maybe 20 passes on it plus street driving if I were to do it again I would stick with the 2 piece and spend the $ somewhere else I did not notice much difference when I switched back.
my 2cents now ive got a 400$ paper weight the cost to fix it is not worth it to me.

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
This debate will never be ansewered. But I grew up with the old muscle cars with steel 2pc dirveshafts. The reason 2pc are so nice is cus ur putting all the power to the wheels through 3 joints instead of 2. Sure that 1pc shaft can pull more power cus it takes less to spin but I would rather trust something that was a originial idea....old muslce cars were built to make good passes without going 1pc driveshaft...and a lot of ppl are worried about weight IJ I think get rid of the stuff you don't use like ac or heat....its understandable but when you get down to 5 lbs for something holding most of your power who gives a flying fuck lol... that's just a higher threshold of pain...I personaly would go 2pc strenghtened shaft...but this is a debate I can't win because I will say I have scene people put down big numbers and not break there alum. 1pc's....but I stick to wat I was tought...also aluminum has the ability to stretch if needed(which it shouldn't b stretching) but it has those capabilities and it heats up quicker than steel and wraps easier so go with your gut instincts

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun

Orangeracer

SUPRA LOVER
Sep 12, 2008
Harford County, MD
I went to a local drive shaft maker. I asked about carbon fiber. he said that they are weaker then steal. I was like no way. then he showed me 3 that he just got in off a Titan? that were snapped. He said get steel if you want it to be strong. aluminum is weaker.. .

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It's basic physics

PMoI aka Polar Moment of Inertia.

3" shaft is very different to say a flywheel.

I doubt you'd be able to measure a power difference between Steel and Aluminium.

The 2 piece shaft is done to keep the shaft's critical speed well below and danger point.

Universal joints don't spin in circles it's more a figure 8 rotation, if you spin them too fast they whip and self destruct.

Length/Diameter/Material ALL affect this speed (critical speed)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Titan Motorsports makes the carbon fiber DS ;)
One good thing about a carbon fiber shaft is if it does break all you have under the car is a broom.

Steel is going to be more harsh and is more torsional. Very little "give" with a aluminum shaft...steel will absorb some of the shock from a hard launch. You will have to push a lot of HP/torque to break a well made aluminum or steel DS. Read the above reviews.