stripped targa bolt

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Like he said, it depends what stripped. Did the head of the bolt strip? Did the threads on the bolt strip? Did the threads in the targa strip?

Also, stripping usually happens from fastening the targa bolts down in the wrong order...

supraman666

Mar 20, 2009
PAWTUCKET RI
WhtMa71;1303018 said:
Are the threads stripped or is the actual hex head stripped?

hex head stripped. tried hammering a bigger size in didnt hold, tried an extractor just spun in the head. didnt try the jb weld. i think in going to just drill it out. thanx for all the advice

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Easy to replace. Post an ad in the WTB section, check junkyard or ebay. Probably get a new one cheaper than you think from the dealer. I took apart my targa top and replaced one. Like poodles said, very important to tighten and loosen in the correct order.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
^ This...I'm not really sure how you could strip the actual hex socket out using the OEM tool.. Unless the bolt is stuck or cross threaded to hell..

Or you used the wrong allen key.

supraman666

Mar 20, 2009
PAWTUCKET RI
WhtMa71;1303200 said:
^ This...I'm not really sure how you could strip the actual hex socket out using the OEM tool.. Unless the bolt is stuck or cross threaded to hell..

Or you used the wrong allen key.

previous owner used a drill to tighten because roof was leaking. it still leaked so he used impact gun. dumb ass i want to cut his balls off so he cant reproduce. im goin to drill it out after work today then pull one off my project supra to replace

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Canuckrz;1303446 said:
^ Fucking previous owners :3d_frown:

They can do some really weird crap in the name of "fixing" these cars.

Supraman666, if you need some targa parts let me know, I may have a few extra's laying around here somewhere.

supraman666

Mar 20, 2009
PAWTUCKET RI
mirage83;1303454 said:
They can do some really weird crap in the name of "fixing" these cars.

Supraman666, if you need some targa parts let me know, I may have a few extra's laying around here somewhere.

thanks i will let you know after i get it apart if i need anything

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have seen where people have bought replacement gaskets. It seems like they are not too bad from the dealer. Maybe $75-100 per gasket? I can't remember, it could have been cheaper.

I saw some targa hardware in a parts thread just yesterday on here.