Strip exhaust studs in head

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
92nsx;1218457 said:
To answer your question about helicoiling it again with the same thread, the answer is YES! Just get your self the correct Helicoil set and re install a new coil. That is one of the beauties of Helicoils.

You might need to use the tap provided to clean up the threads a little but other then that just install a new helicoil.

How about adding "Lock tight"?? The kind that stays tight but it will come loose when you need it, I think it's the "red" Lock type.
Sorry about my English.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Koenigturbo;1219222 said:
How about adding "Lock tight"?? The kind that stays tight but it will come loose when you need it, I think it's the "red" Lock type.
Sorry about my English.

your thinking of blue(medium) red is high

but i wouldn't use loctite with aluminum,

its really just bad design by toyota, fine thread with aluminum, and to much torque IMO, plus the age of these heads.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
dumbo;1219249 said:
your thinking of blue(medium) red is high

but i wouldn't use loctite with aluminum,

its really just bad design by toyota, fine thread with aluminum, and to much torque IMO, plus the age of these heads.

The only time it's an issue is on heads that have been overheated at some time in their life there's nothing wrong with the "design" ..... :nono:
(or morons that don't own a torque wrench)

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
IJ.;1219310 said:
The only time it's an issue is on heads that have been overheated at some time in their life there's nothing wrong with the "design" ..... :nono:
(or morons that don't own a torque wrench)

I dunno, I just figure coarse threads on the head and fine on the nut would be better, and less torque for a stud that size in aluminum. only my opinion.

i never seized mine,copper;), and torqued to only 15lbs/ft, so far so good.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I had one that was stripping and retapped it to american size stud. The stud is just a little bigger but cheap as all heck and held the torque twice now. Definitely not the professional way but I had everything at hand.
The stud is thicker and clears the gasket and manifold barely. Definitely not going to be recommended by anyone else. But for one stud....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
+1 for the Driftmotion oversized set.

Stock sized helicoils pulled out of my head, the oversized ones have worked perfectly.

I looked at time-serts and they where rediculously expensive, so didn't go that route.

Also, the helicoils where installed with red loctite (have to clean the threads with solvent and a q-tip after install). The head better not be getting that hot or your cooling system is fucked...

mkIII2jz

Jan 6, 2008
tenino
IJ.;1219120 said:
Keenserts install the same way regular Helicoils do so no reason why it can't be done on the car.

Wat size should I buy , my rear most studs are stripd by the #5#6 cylinder , ?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
adampecush;1218741 said:
Really wish I would have seen a thread like this prior to installing oversized imperial helicoils (one of which may have stripped)

Not stripped! (not sure how...sure felt like it when I was torquing originally) Torqued again and all is well.