stock speakers...

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
I like my simple setup in mine, a Kenwood headunit with about 20W RMS to each speaker, not too shabby, but I'd like to get more power to the front speakers. I have 4" Infinity References in the front, and Alpine Type S's in the rear, 5.25" of course, but I only used those to get what you guys have called "rear fill". I plan on getting a small 2 channel amp to power the front speakers, giving them about 40-50W RMS, then I also plan on adding a small 10" powered subwoofer to add that right amount of bass (I'm not one to like alot of thump, so something very clear, subtle, and not so loud is perfect, in my opinion. The setup should be very nice.

-Matt

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
riot19 said:
and as for cone area different size cones are better for different sound like a 15" cones would sound like shit if used with high-lows its just not made for that thats why i am getting a 10s its good all around has nice high-lows and low-lows
Actually, tecnically speaking, that's not correct. Cone size really only affects the efficiency of a speaker. Moving mass affects the frequency range. I have 18" drivers at home that are designed for midrange usage, and have a 98db sensitivity.

A properly designed 8" speaker can play a broader spectrum then a poorly designed 15. Diameter has NO affect on playing high or low. A larger cone can usually play lower frequencies more efficiently, but choosing a 10 over a 12 or 15 because you think it will play better is completely wrong.

You choose a speaker that will fit into the space you want, then you find a manufacturer that makes one that will play to the specifications you want.

Of course, I think this is just going to start another flame war.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
riot19 said:
yeah you dont have to be rude about it, i may have used the wrong words but i do know what im talking about i never said deck power was going to power the 100rmswatt speakers, i need a amp so i can get enough power to the front and if you were to position all speakers right (front,rear side, rear and sub) it would sound even better then just having the front facing you.
So you dont have to act like your the only one who knows a thing about sound and how the waves work its what im going to college for.

and as for cone area different size cones are better for different sound like a 15" cones would sound like shit if used with high-lows its just not made for that thats why i am getting a 10s its good all around has nice high-lows and low-lows
Once again, UM NO. I think it may be time to look for a new college, or maybe stay awake in class and put the reefer down. Do a little research on stereo imaging. A proper soundstage is created with FRONT speakers.

The rest of your post is garbage-gargle and has already been denounced by Rob, so I won't even touch it.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
ValgeKotkas said:
Last time I checked I didn't have a christmas-money tree...:icon_bigg And I already have a 4x45W headunit(goddamn, that was expensive), and I guess 2 speaker system would need a special HU?... So i prefer 4-speaker system:icon_bigg, soon gonna look for something better than my almost-stockers :icon_razz

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I thought I'd clarify something for Valge :)

Running 2 speakers only can be done 1 of 2 ways:
1.) Using Deck power only: Turn the Fader to the front all the way OR cut the leads coming out of the wiring harness that go to the rear speakers

2.) Using amplifier power: The way I wire a 2/4-channel into a car is through the wiring harness. You cut the wires going from the harness into the radio, then solder the wires from the 4ch amp back into the wiring harness, leaving the side going into the radio to hang. Now, when you go to do this with a 2 channel amp (for fronts only) you just only use the front speaker wires on the harness! Easy enough right? :)