stock speakers...

coreybear08

Aug 21, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
hey idk if this has been covered but i DID use the search button and came up with nothing....

my supra is a 89 targa turbo and it has a total of 6 speakers in their...

i know the fronts are 4" and the rears are 5 1/4".....does anyone know about the middle set and does anyone have a 6 speaker set up in their supra?? every website and book ive looked through say that it doesnt have 6 speakers...so if im the only one then i guess that woulda kinda be cool...

but just wondering if the middle set was a 3 1/2" and if anyone else has a stock 6 speaker system...

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
I believe all post-89's had the 6 speaker system, and I actually took off one of the middle speaker covers to see how big they were and I wanted to replace them, but that cover isn't made to come off, and I tore mine to pieces just to see how big they were. I'd say they were 3.5".

-Matt

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
The middle speakers are 3.5" 8ohm. The fronts are 4" 4ohm and the rears ar 5" (not really 5.25) and are 4ohm.

The middle speakers are freeair. You could replace them with aftermarket speakers but it might not sound right. If you have an aftermarket headunit or amp than I would bypass those speakers and get larger ones up front and in back

coreybear08

Aug 21, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
id rather do it right and do it to both of them.....music is a HUGE part of my life and it isnt very often that people get to combine their hobbies...so i want the sound of my system to be PERFECT!!! amazing highs....and deep low bass....

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Technically, I have 10 speakers in my my car...;)

I have a 3-way setup in front, with 5" woofers, 1.5" midranges, and 1" tweeters from a BMW 5 series.

In the rear, I have 5 1/2" JBL's with 1" tweeters in the center, and two 10" subwoofers.

I will be installing an amplifier soon. I think it sounds pretty good. :)

p459050_1.jpg

p459050_2.jpg

p459050_3.jpg

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
coreybear08 said:
id rather do it right and do it to both of them.....music is a HUGE part of my life and it isnt very often that people get to combine their hobbies...so i want the sound of my system to be PERFECT!!! amazing highs....and deep low bass....
Umm, if you wanna do it right, then listen to Rob instead of thinking you know everything. Front speakers only creates a proper soundstage, also known as "stereo imaging". Think of the last time you were at a concert, and if you haven't been to one, just imagine one; where did all the music come from?--in FRONT of you. Rear speakers are called "rear fill" in the audiophile world, because they're completely unnecessary and just create a "fill" for the rear passengers.

Sorry to come off as cocky, but when you try to act like you know it all, and you obviously don't, you come off as foolish. And before you say it, I do NOT know it all, but I DO know how to create a proper soundstage.

PS--You won't get deep lows from just speakers, hopefully you already knew that though.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
blackgraz said:
is there anyway you can fit 6.5" speakers in?
Actually, YES!

91-92 supras actually came with 6.5s in the doors. You can find some speaker pods from a 91, and fit them into your car, but I would actually recommend that you make your own. The reason being, you will most likely hack up the 91 pods anyways to fit any sort of aftermarkek speaker with some depth in. After all the hacking you had to do to the pods, it would have been easier to just make your own.

Cut a thin sheet of MDF (like 1/2") to the rough opening of the hole in the door, and screw it into the old screw holes. Then take a jugsaw, and cut a hole in the center to fit your 6.5" speaker. That's really all there is to it. Of course, most of the speaker will probably be covered by the door, so you MAY want to find some 91+ door panels with the larger speaker openings. Although, even a partially covered 6.5 will sound better then the stock 4" any day.

coreybear08 said:
id rather do it right and do it to both of them....
Trust me man, if you want to do it right, get rid of the rear speakers, and focus on the fronts :)

I get people sitting in my back seat compliment me on how good the music sounds, and it's only coming out the front.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Don't be a smart ass after you get torn a new one, please. I had to assume your knowledge level was...limited, due to your lack of understanding the simple concept of stereo imaging.

EDIT: Oh, and you can get deep bass out of speakers--if you feel like spending a shit ton of money on proper EQs, crossovers, amplifiers, etc...There's actually and SPL car with a wall of 6x9's in it :)

coreybear08

Aug 21, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
damn...i must be attracting assholes today....

and ive seriously been thinking about it...id rather have surround sound than "concert sound"

if you stop to think about it, wouldnt you rather be engulfed by sound than just have it coming from the front?? look at all the modern systems coming in cars today...lexus now has a 17 speaker system in some of the 07' line up...im seriously not trying to be a dickhead here but to me car audio has to be all around...even concert halls are made so they reflect sound from the walls and fill the room with music

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
Want good car audio? Sell your Supra and buy some cheesy 4 door sedan that you can pack speakers into, Mr. Surround Sound.
Listen to Brandon and annoyingrob.

*hands mic back to TTL*

coreybear08

Aug 21, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
hey mods...if ur reading this...please close this thread...my question was answered...and this is soon to be 2 pages of bashing...

oh...fyi...my question was if anyone else had a 6 speaker system and if they knew what size that middle speaker was...NOT how do i make a nice sounding sound system...

Turbo. Targa. Life.

Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
ROFL @ Justin

Dude, surround sound is basically a way to compensate for proper acoustics. Being an audiophile though, I can tell you it is 99.9% impossible to get true acoustics in a vehicle. If you want surround sound, good on ya; be aware though, most CD's are NOT recorded in surround, only stereo. :)

Turbo. Targa. Life.

Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Umm...no. Just...no. Please stop talking, you're hurting my head.

Using front speakers only (when powered only by the deck) does NOT give more power to the front speakers.

More speakers does NOT necessarily mean more sound. More volume, maybe, depends on how much cone area.

If you direct your front speakers right (very hard to do) you'll never even HEAR where the sound is coming from, if you close your eyes it should be like the band/artist/whatever is sitting right in front of you. Granted, this requires time, money, and attention to detail, which it seems like VERY few people here have for audio.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
If you direct your front speakers right (very hard to do) you'll never even HEAR where the sound is coming from. Granted, this requires time, money, and attention to detail, which it seems like VERY few people here have for audio.
Last time I checked I didn't have a christmas-money tree...:icon_bigg And I already have a 4x45W headunit(goddamn, that was expensive), and I guess 2 speaker system would need a special HU?... So i prefer 4-speaker system:icon_bigg, soon gonna look for something better than my almost-stockers :icon_razz