Stock Seatbelt + Racing Seats = no no?

Kyle87T

Banned
Aug 4, 2005
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
I am getting ready to redo my interior this coming spring and I was looking at getting a set of racing seats to replace my worn tan cloth stockers. I was specifically looking at the Corbeau FX-1's, but someone told me that I cant hook up the stock seatbelt to these seats. Another source tells me that they come with some sort or bracket to hook up your seatbelts to. Whats the right answer?

So now, basically im fooked. I want to be able to keep the rear seats for passengers. Lets say I were to get these seats, with harnesses. What kind of harness bar could I get that will allow me to keep the back seats available for use?

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
All the ricers do it.. why cant you? j/k I think you can use the seatbelt. Not sure about the harness bar though. I saw a local guy hook up his harnesses to the bottom of his seats though.

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
or you can get yourself a pair of early corolla seatbelt recievrs and bolt the up to side....Your seatbelt will fit perfectly in them....I got a pair for sale....just repaint them... <------I think is the easiest solution

PM me with an offer....

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yes you can use the stock seat belt.

what you dont want to do:

use a 5pt harness without a roll bar or connect it to the bottom of the seat. both are good ways to have spinal compression in a crash.

turbo soup

Nov 1, 2006
MD
i just got sparco torinos the other day and im having trouble trying to use my stock seat belts...
at first i thought i was a genious becuase i used the rear seats belt buckle and mounted them to my seat base. The buckle came up enough for me to reach it
then disaster....
as i tried to buckle in i noticed that the belt wasnt snapping in and it was because the seat belt from the front is to wide to go in the belt buckle from the rear...
so now im screwed
i was hoping that i could take of the clip from the rear that goes into the buckle but im not sure how to get it off the belt and im not sure how to put it back on the front belt.
i tried unbolting it but it looks like im going to have to cut it off the belt
but then theres not garantee i can get it back on in the front
let me know what you gusy think i should do
i wanna start rolling again

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
get a pair of corolla seat belt recievers....I got a pair you can buy off me...The bolt up to the side of the transmission waall...no drilling needed

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
and I'll repeat what he said; DO IT RIGHT. Racing seats + stock seat belts = stupid. Just. Plain. Stupid. Racing Seats + Harnesses = good. Racing Seats + Harnesses (the right way) = NO BACK SEATS.

I'm guessing this means you just got the racing seats because they look cool. *cough*honda*cough*

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
I use the stock seatbelts with my Bride Brix seat. In order to safely run 5 or 4 points they have to be connected at at least a 45 degree angle, idealy to a roll cage or harness bar, or else your gonna be seriously hurting in a crash! A lot of it though depends on what kinda seat you have. If it is a reclinable one, you dont really need a 4 or 5 point for those but if it a non- reclinable one then I'd just get a Sparco Harness bar, get your 4 or 5 point harness or whatever and call it a day.

supra8903

Jan 12, 2006
Latham, NY
ok..... you wanna keep the backseats, but use a fx1... it will not work. its too small of a spot to get into, unless you get in the car through the hatch, it which case a harness bar will not be a problem.

Kyle87T

Banned
Aug 4, 2005
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
hmm.. Geez I forgot about the space. :( With the seats up and the harness bar installed, the bar wont be in the way of anyone sitting in the back? If not, cool, harness bar and harness belts all the way.

Sorry for my stupidity everyone.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
realy fully understood y attaching the harness to the bottom of the seat causes spinal compression. either way it coming over your sholder threw the holes in the seats weather it goes streight back from the hole or down from the hole i wouldnt think would matter.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Yes it does matter ;). If the belts are bolted down to the floor and you have a wreck, when you go forward the belts are pulling your body down (because they are bolted to the floor) thus causing spinal compression. When the belts are bolted down at a 45 dregree angle and you have a wreck, they pull you back because of the angle that they are bolted down to the bar. Take a look at any racing car and you will see that 99.9% will have a setup similar to the 45 degree angle.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
Kyle87T said:
Anyone have pics of racing seats + harnessess + harness bar in a Supra?

I just want to see what kind of room back has for passengers and if the belts get in the way.

jons_harness_bar_two.jpg

jons_harness_bar.jpg