stock fuel pump capabilities, info needed

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
So, the ole fuel pump was in question because performance was lacking in the higher rpm range . I ordered an afpr pretty much just for the gauge so I could keep my eye on the fuel system.

I left the stock fpr in place and cranked the pressure up and it would not go any higher than 40psi.
I'm pretty sure the afpr will override the stock fpr since it is downstream, so is my pump only capable of putting out 40psi?

Thx!

T-

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The pump doesn't provide pressure, it provides flow. Restriction from the regulator and j tube provide resistance (pressure) by blocking flow.

Last edited:

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
DrDucttape;1876833 said:
"The pump doesn't provide pressure" Umm... Whaa?

Blow threw a straw, no resistance. Put your finger over the end now you have pressure. Only way to build pressure is fluid dynamics.

Why do you still have the stock reg on them the afpr down stream? You just need the fitting to take it off the rail. That way you can get correct adjustability.

You should be able to get ~100psi out of the stock one. Maybe the internal hose in the tank is wasted, fuel filter dirty, pick up sock. I wouldn't think it's the pump cause your still in spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Thank you, i figured the pump was capable of more than 40psi. yah i lft the stock one on , cause im a funny guy :) pumps are rated at a flow rate and a pressure, thats why i figured i it should put out more pressure than 40 psi. i am pulling the stock one off, just didnt get around to it yet. got busy.

DrDucttape

Jul 4, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I need to do some learning about fluid dynamics, I removed the oem reg. and I can bump the pressure way high now. The logic in my head told me that if I added restriction downstream from the stock FPR the pressure would build and open it up and cancel its control of the pressure in the line. I'm not sure what the stock FPR looks like inside but I thought it was a diaphragm and a spring loaded "valve".

I'm still learning, :) Thank you all for your input-

T-