Stock 7M w/150k miles - 563whp, 536wtq: SP Tuned on ECUMaster EMU

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Hey guys, just figured I'd share some results after hitting the rollers. We made 563whp and 536wtq on my stock 7M, maxing out the internal gate on the SP/PTE 6262 CEA Bolt-on turbo.

The stock cams are currently holding me back; other 7M guys see huge gains from upgraded cams, so those will definitely be in my future, along with an external wastegate setup. Although I have a hard time changing it since it is an absolute blast to drive right now!

Here's a mod list for anyone interested!
- Stock 7M bottom end with 150k miles
- Rebuilt head: Comp BBC Valve Springs, Stock Cams, 3 angle valve job
- HKS Bead 1.2mm Head Gasket
- ARP Head Studs w/custom washers
- SP Bolt-On Precision 6262 CEA Turbo
- ECUMaster EMU Tuned by Larry @ SP
- Stock Coils, w/no igniter. Coils are driven directly by the EMU
- Stock Intake + Exhaust Manifolds
- Treadstone Intercooler + 3" Piping by SP
- 4" Turbo-Back exhaust by SP
- Precision 1200cc Injectors wired sequentially
- Walbro 400 Fuel Pump w/-6 feed line + Magnafuel E85 filter
- Stock R154 w/Clutchmasters FX400 Street Clutch

p2052432_1.jpg

p2052432_2.jpg

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask!
-Alec

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Alec, why not go to an upgraded wastegate actuator that you can adjust the springs in? I did that on my DBB 6776 bolt on ct26 style turbo, and love it. I have 3 or 4 different springs. 7 psi, 11 psi, 18psi, and 22 psi for now. They go all the way up to 28ish psi or something around there, and its a cheap upgrade, and very straight forward. I had it on my turbo and working right fully adjusted within an hour. Here is the actuator kit I picked up.
http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/kinugawabilletadjustableturboactuatoruniversalapplication.aspx

And here it is on my turbo.

Obviously there are some advantages to going t4, but a lot of money involved. I like my t4 setup on my other car, but I think the power, response, simpleness, and sleeper factor of the bolt on style turbo is more than enough for me to want to keep one of mine bolt on style. Only reason I would switch is to go to a 6466 on that car, which I had and ended up getting rid of.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Alec;2052453 said:
Interesting. I will look into that!

Idk if you have talked to SP about upgrading at all either, but talk to Mark and Reid about Marks actuator setup. They ended up doing a turbosmart actuator, which is basically the same thing but a known good brand. Obviously more money, but no where near t4 setup money.
I am happy with my cheap actuator, as it works well without issues, and parts and springs are super cheap. I have a few thousand miles on it now. I wanted to experiment with other options, and i am cheap lol so I figured id give it a shot. worst i am out is $100 and some time.

When i was looking into it I also was thinking about making an actuator off of another car work, but they are sealed, and you cant switch springs, and I wanted low psi for break in and for tuning myself, then throw in the higher springs for power, and so the boost controller can take it up to 30 some psi.
When I had the stock gate on the car it wouldn't run past 18psi, and it wouldn't build much boost off the stall. I throw in a heavier spring on this one and itll keep the gate closed longer for off the line, and you can run basically any amount of boost you want (that a 7m like mine will hold).

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
The only issue with those gates is that to make more than 26psi, I'd probably need a spring too stiff that I wouldn't be able to also run punp gas.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Alec;2052457 said:
The only issue with those gates is that to make more than 26psi, I'd probably need a spring too stiff that I wouldn't be able to also run punp gas.

Hard telling. thats a good thought tho. I only run e85, so I am not concerned about it. Only time my car will see pump is in an emergency, or during the winter for storage, and Ill stay out of it if that happens.

I don't see an issue making 30ish psi off of a 14psi spring, and that would be fine with pump too I would think. might be able to even run the 18psi spring and be fine with it, but that may be pushing it a hair.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
emericaskater285;2052456 said:
Idk if you have talked to SP about upgrading at all either, but talk to Mark and Reid about Marks actuator setup. They ended up doing a turbosmart actuator, which is basically the same thing but a known good brand. Obviously more money, but no where near t4 setup money.
I am happy with my cheap actuator, as it works well without issues, and parts and springs are super cheap. I have a few thousand miles on it now. I wanted to experiment with other options, and i am cheap lol so I figured id give it a shot. worst i am out is $100 and some time.

When i was looking into it I also was thinking about making an actuator off of another car work, but they are sealed, and you cant switch springs, and I wanted low psi for break in and for tuning myself, then throw in the higher springs for power, and so the boost controller can take it up to 30 some psi.
When I had the stock gate on the car it wouldn't run past 18psi, and it wouldn't build much boost off the stall. I throw in a heavier spring on this one and itll keep the gate closed longer for off the line, and you can run basically any amount of boost you want (that a 7m like mine will hold).

I just emailed turbosmart this week asking about their IWGs haha, they have dual ports which will absolutely help all around...you can have a low psi spring in it but also run high boost because of the second/lower port. Only issue is they only have straight clevis arms and the stock CT26 is bent so something would have to be customized.

Still high 5xx hp must be fun!

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
nice numbers and cool simple setup!!!

curious what it'd run in the 1/4 mile if you make some passes please post how you do!

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
black89t;2053153 said:
nice numbers and cool simple setup!!!

curious what it'd run in the 1/4 mile if you make some passes please post how you do!

I'm guessing somewhere around a 10.70 @ 130mph with a set of slicks

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
Alec;2053163 said:
I'm guessing somewhere around a 10.70 @ 130mph with a set of slicks

thatd be doable id think if you could get a good 60ft and can shift fast. i have't had much luck getting a good 60ft and its killing my times. my best pass is a 11.9 at 123 with 2.0 60ft......:aigo:

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Damn, thats huge power, considering stock block, and stock intake manifold.
My setup is somewhat similar to yours, except im 6266, and no e85. Great to see >550hp
on the stock intake manifold. It makes me hopeful!

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
This makes everyone hopeful. At the same time it's no surprise though, with a healthy engine and the RIGHT mods and TUNE the 7Ms aren't as bad as they seem. No doubt 7Ms can make great power with good mods.