still having OIL PROBLEMS. arent things fixed??

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
hey guys..i have a 1987 supra 5 speed turbo..i recent had all seals done, front main rear main cam seal and oil pump drive line seal done..as well as valve cover gasket..before i did all that work i would probably have to fill up with about a quart every 2-3 weeks which i guess is normal with stock, never rebuilt 7mgtes..well after i got the seals done..its still the same! im confused..what else could it be? any and all suggestions would help. and i was also told to try switiching from 1030 valvoline to 1040 gastrol high mileage..do you guys think this would be beneficial or pointless? jdub please chime in :D

Thanks

John

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
from what I read, I thinking your car has high miles, hows the compression? Maybe your car is just using up from weak rings.
I.M.O. swicthing from 10/30 to 10/40? I'm thinking mostly pointless. I think you have an internal problem.
This problem sound familar, it turned out to be my turbo eating up oil.

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
Koenigturbo;1575909 said:
from what I read, I thinking your car has high miles, hows the compression? Maybe your car is just using up from weak rings.
I.M.O. swicthing from 10/30 to 10/40? I'm thinking mostly pointless. I think you have an internal problem.
This problem sound familar, it turned out to be my turbo eating up oil.

well the body has 200k..but the engine was swapped...SUPPOSEDLY now it has between 65-90k miles on it..im gonna have Driftmotion run a compression check...if its bad rings..you mean O-rings? can those just be replaced? or is it pretty much gotta do an engine rebuild kinda thing..

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
piston rings is what he is talking about, most of the time its the turbo, just the seal on the turbo just old and need of replace

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Yeah, you'd have to take those piston's out.

Any oil leaking that you can see? Another fairly common oil leak that you might forget is the distributor, or in your case the CPS or Cam Position Sensor. It's gear-driven by one of the cams, and as such has an o-ring oil seal that can dry up very hard and crack. Look for oil leaking from where the CPS touches the head.

Also, you might have someone look at your exhaust on a cold start-up, a simple way to see if it's burning oil if you see blue smoke. It won't always be apparent I'd imagine but i've seen some cars do it, possibly even mine. Another way is to watch the exhaust on a heavy load, which is a little more difficult (gotta be moving, so be safe).

Otherwise that compression test sounds like a prime idea, and there's no guesswork.

Other possible causes are worn valves letting oil into the combustion chambers, or a blown headgasket, doing essentially the same (also can blow oil into coolant, have a look).

If you've done a BHG fix, which I imagine you have if you've been to driftmotion (but perhaps not) and torqued it sufficiently, that last cause shouldn't be the case.

Good luck!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
1 quart every 2-3 weeks?!?!? Dude....90% of us wish we were you right now lol! I gotta add damn near a quart ever 3 days....although I have a leak I'm gearing up to fix...but still...lucky you!

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
gaboonviper85;1576058 said:
1 quart every 2-3 weeks?!?!? Dude....90% of us wish we were you right now lol! I gotta add damn near a quart ever 3 days....although I have a leak I'm gearing up to fix...but still...lucky you!

You're exaggerating on 90% right? We can't all be burning that much oil, unless you drive 100 miles every day... I burn a quart about every 3 weeks. every three days sounds pretty bad.. :(

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Only time my car ever used oil was when I messed around with decell ignition cut in the MoTeC and the thin rings didn't like it, apart from that not a drop so I'm a 10%er ;)

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
hahaha wow..nah i never had a BHG knock on wood. i dont push my car hard at all..but im at around 75k right now so im bracing for it soon...ill ask aaron about the CPS things..although i think i switched that out with them too.. its frustrating to have done the seals and it not made any difference =(

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
If it's heads or rings, chances are great you'll need a rebuild. I feel, that you do one,(heads or block) thats just a band aid, I'm no expert by any means, if you do one, you will need the other, evently. EX: if you do just the head will, eventualy need to do the block. So, yeah,.. ..a rebuild.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Do a compression and a leak down check before you make any decisions. It's not the oil BTW.

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
yea. im gonna ask for the compression test and leakdown check just to see the status of my engine..whether it would need a rebuild soon..or if i can hold off on it at least till after my next two years at UCLA. expensive budget cuts =(

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Oh and jdub..since im puttin in a quart every 2 weeks about..and i dont drive it MUCH..in the last 5 months i barely put on 3000-3500 miles..does it matter what kinda oil i use? would the cheaper 10 30 weight oil be ok like penzzoil or whatever.s on sale at kragens..and one last thing..do i even need to do a oil change that often since im puttin in new oil every two weeks? i was thinking maybe an oil change twice a year since i drive only to work and around town with friends. not too much mileage

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
YoungGunSupra;1576177 said:
yea. im gonna ask for the compression test and leakdown check just to see the status of my engine..whether it would need a rebuild soon..or if i can hold off on it at least till after my next two years at UCLA. expensive budget cuts =(

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Oh and jdub..since im puttin in a quart every 2 weeks about..and i dont drive it MUCH..in the last 5 months i barely put on 3000-3500 miles..does it matter what kinda oil i use? would the cheaper 10 30 weight oil be ok like penzzoil or whatever.s on sale at kragens..and one last thing..do i even need to do a oil change that often since im puttin in new oil every two weeks? i was thinking maybe an oil change twice a year since i drive only to work and around town with friends. not too much mileage

Pensoil is obsoletly the worst oil that you can put into a car. There ingredients that changes the chemical make up and leaves a ash residue in the bearings. I had an Small block Chevy that I took a part and sure enough, ash like residue in the engine.
"Jdub" come correct me on this, I could be wrong, I got his info years ago. "Jdub" how did you get all your knowlage about oil? It's sure is nice to have an oil expert on board here, Thanks for your help in the past "JDub"
Young Guns I had a friend that he had an oil leak, he just changed filters:biglaugh:

Last edited:

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
ahha yea thats what was i was thinking..what do you thinks a good "non expensive" oil to use then? valvoline? chevron? i guess ill stay away from penzoil now! lol what about the shell oil?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
YoungGunSupra;1576331 said:
ahha yea thats what was i was thinking..what do you thinks a good "non expensive" oil to use then? valvoline? chevron? i guess ill stay away from penzoil now! lol what about the shell oil?

I'd like to help ya there, your asking the wrong person. I run Valoline myself, but then again, what do I know. Me, like you I get whats on sale, except for Pensoil. Or Castrol since John Force uses it.

Non expensive? I guess you could go to the gulf coast and brew your own. I'm sure you could get oil there,......"free"

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
gaboonviper85;1576058 said:

Ha im part of the ten percent. i dont leak/burn any oil.... just PS fluid:)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Pennzoil Platinum, is a superb oil as is Pennzoil Ultra (kinda expensive tho)...even the conventional grades are very good, at least on par with Valvoline. Most of the Castrol oils are also good...Castrol European Formula 0W-30 (German Castrol) is the stand out in the Castrol line for the $$$ spent. GC is the only "true synthetic" (PAO based) sold in the US. Pennzoil got a bad rap for sludging up engines from long ago - Shell now owns Pennzoil and those issues are long dead.

Valvoline conventional oils are middle of the road - might as well use WalMart SuperTech.

Personally I feel that a turbo motor should run a synthetic due to the heat stress the turbo puts on the oil - GC is my favorite. It only comes in 0W-30 and says "Made in Germany" on the back label...it is heavier than most 30W multigrades at ops temp, approaching a 40W viscosity wise. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 would be my next choice, or the 10W-30. For a motor using a lot of oil, might want to consider Shell Rotella T 10W-30 conventional oil, or use Rotella T6 5W-40.