stick with the 7mge?

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Well today my mechanic was taking apart my 7mge. He found that the crank shaft and pulley, where shit. The pulley and crank basically just fell right out once he took the belts off, and the head gasket is blown. All in all it will cost around $600-$800 to fix the the 7mge. So i was wondering about a 1jz? would it be better to put in a bit more money for a newer engine or what. Also i would like to boost, but would it be more expensive? My car has the r154 trans and turbo lsd and what not. but until tommorow i will find out the condition the transmission is in. I live in South Florida if anyone knows a place that swaps 1jz or 7mgtes. ty. This so called JDM 7mge engine with new head gasket. This guy fucked me over with this engine.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
JDM engines are generally unreliable....they're junkyard motors that are a hit or miss. Almost as random as the eBay knockoffs that people run these days.

If you want boost and you know the 7mge is in bad condition, then swap it out for a turbo motor.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
nick88;1472886 said:
7mgte

/thread

i have looked for engines and found some with everything i need (7mgte), but isnt the wiring and installation difficult? i asked my mechanic about it and he said if i was thinking of doing that to take it to someone else.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
What year?

If you had everything to do it, it will all bolt in. The 1J is a lot more work.

Why does your car have an R154 in it with a 7MGE? Was it a former turbo car?

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
xzeror;1472902 said:
i have looked for engines and found some with everything i need (7mgte), but isnt the wiring and installation difficult? i asked my mechanic about it and he said if i was thinking of doing that to take it to someone else.

1jz is going to be alot harder, and no ge to gte is a pretty straightforward swap. People on here will be able to set u up with everything you need. Search the FS section. If you dont see everything you need make a WTB thread. 99.9% of the time someone will have it.
Honestly if a ge to gte swap is over your mechanics head he either has no experience with supras and/or isnt a good mechanic. Now could be a great time to start tuning wrenches. Take your time doing things, search before you do, and ask if u cant find the answer. As long as your willing to listen, theres always someone here that can help guide you. You will have what you want, save more dollars, and can take pride in your accomplishment!

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
Poodles;1472905 said:
What year?

If you had everything to do it, it will all bolt in. The 1J is a lot more work.

Why does your car have an R154 in it with a 7MGE? Was it a former turbo car?

my car is a 86.5 and the engine is from an 88. The guy i bought it from changed it because the old transmission was gonna need to be replaced so he upgraded to the r154. and like the ecu and the harness and all that it would all just plug in? no rewiring or anything?

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
xzeror;1472908 said:
my car is a 86.5 and the engine is from an 88. The guy i bought it from changed it because the old transmission was gonna need to be replaced so he upgraded to the r154. and like the ecu and the harness and all that it would all just plug in? no rewiring or anything?

No, you need a turbo computer. Easiest way is to get a Turbo harness that matches your car (year, abs exc) The new harness body plugs will plug right in and your good to go. no splicing/welding mounts or anything crazy.

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
xzeror;1472908 said:

If it is from a 88 or earlier, it will fit in your car perfectly with the gte electronics and igniter.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
lewis15498;1472910 said:
No, you need a turbo computer. Easiest way is to get a Turbo harness that matches your car (year, abs exc) The new harness body plugs will plug right in and your good to go. no splicing/welding mounts or anything crazy.

yah like i find the ecu from the turbo and then the harness from the gte would connect right up? and thats it? i also read that the n/a tach would not work.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
Ma70.Ent;1472884 said:
JDM engines are generally unreliable....they're junkyard motors that are a hit or miss. Almost as random as the eBay knockoffs that people run these days.

If you want boost and you know the 7mge is in bad condition, then swap it out for a turbo motor.

I've got a JDM 7M, and it's reliable enough to be my DD if I wanted it to... And on that end, probably 60-70% of the DFW mk3 owners have done a 1jz swap, and I've never heard anyone complain about the swap.

However that being said, I think the 7mgte might be a good idea in your case. I believe since you have a pre 89 chasis, you're probably going to have to do more work for the swap than a 90+

So yes, A GTE swap would probably be the best bet in your condition, but in my opinion you shouldn't listen to the people telling you that JDM engines are unreliable. If you do it right, it should be just as reliable as any USDM 7M.

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
xzeror;1472912 said:
yah like i find the ecu from the turbo and then the harness from the gte would connect right up? and thats it? i also read that the n/a tach would not work.

Correct and correct. You need what is referred to as a yellow plug harness. (the plugs for ecu are yellow) These can be found in 86-88 and a few 89s. You need the turbo electronics such as ignitor afm exc. but yes it will bolt in and be PNP. As far as the tach issue, you just swap it. I sold one for $25 shipped not to long ago. Its real easy to change.

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
Mastapip;1472913 said:
So yes, A GTE swap would probably be the best bet in your condition, but in my opinion you shouldn't listen to the people telling you that JDM engines are unreliable. If you do it right, it should be just as reliable as any USDM 7M.

The issue with the JDM motors is they are misrepresented to have 40K and run perfect. They often have been BHGd and sold out of junk yards with rod knock. Furthermore there is no advantage to a JDM motor. Its gonna cost more than a USDM found locally, and if he gets the JDM hes gonna have to deal with the lack of an EGR system. Bottom line is its gonna cost him more and with no reward.

OP I have a Yellow plug Turbo ECU. Came out of an 87. If you find you need one PM me.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
lewis15498;1472914 said:
Correct and correct. You need what is referred to as a yellow plug harness. (the plugs for ecu are yellow) These can be found in 86-88 and a few 89s. You need the turbo electronics such as ignitor afm exc. but yes it will bolt in and be PNP. As far as the tach issue, you just swap it. I sold one for $25 shipped not to long ago. Its real easy to change.

well then this actually doesn't sound too bad then. ty guys :D

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Mastapip;1472913 said:

Keep in mind that 7m's where only available in supra's till 90 in Japan, the jdm 7mgte's will be older and have probably been ran hard, or not ran at all and still have the stock head gasket, so you will have to expect to do a head gasket repair/rebuild to be safe, and if I recall, I remember reading that the jdm gte's don't have oil squirter's.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Mastapip;1472913 said:
I've got a JDM 7M, and it's reliable enough to be my DD if I wanted it to... And on that end, probably 60-70% of the DFW mk3 owners have done a 1jz swap, and I've never heard anyone complain about the swap.

No way in hell it's 60-70% in DFW, and half of them are hacked.

Mastapip;1472913 said:
However that being said, I think the 7mgte might be a good idea in your case. I believe since you have a pre 89 chasis, you're probably going to have to do more work for the swap than a 90+

To put a 1J in, yeah, he's need different motor mounts.

Mastapip;1472913 said:

JDM engines are good for one thing, a rebuildable core. You cna get that locally as well. Too many of the import companies are shady, and the stockpile of low milage used engines is all but gone. Hell, it's cheaper to go 2J than it is to go 1J these days because of this.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
There's some resistor differences between the GTE and GE tachs. You'd need the cluster from a turbo car, or change some resistors on the tach. There's a pic of what has to be changed floating around here...

Bootymeat

Banned
Nov 4, 2009
Bev Hills 90210
Here's my .02.
You can rebuild your engine, if you do this then...
You don't have to worry about buying intercooler pipes, downpipes, ect, you have all the parts, no wiring mess. And if you build it correctly you have essentially a fresh engine.

You can swap a JDM 7mge from a -88 Supra. They bolt in, but you could snag a blown engine, never know.

You can swap for a 7m-gte from a running parts car. Find one cheap, grab everything you can from it and it's essentially plug and play if pre89

You can swap a 2jz-ge. You can always turbo these engines later down the road. Not only that, but you can make this engine run from 7mgte electronics. Easier than a 1jz swap.

You can swap a 1jz-gte. This takes a lot of patience unless you have a shop of trained 1jz guru's helping. Need to buy longblock, bellhousing, Wiring harness, ecu, most of these parts are scarce.

You can swap a 2jz-gte. But it's going to cost a lot. Est 2,200 for just engine.

My JDM 7MGTE has oil squirters and a fully counterweighted crankshaft. It was in good condition, with cross-hatching still visible on the cylinder walls. The beaings were fine and were re-used.

BernieK

nick88;1472918 said:
Keep in mind that 7m's where only available in supra's till 90 in Japan, the jdm 7mgte's will be older and have probably been ran hard, or not ran at all and still have the stock head gasket, so you will have to expect to do a head gasket repair/rebuild to be safe, and if I recall, I remember reading that the jdm gte's don't have oil squirter's.